PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues

threedogs
11th April 2013, 01:48 PM
Hi need help not being diesel minded, on start up seems it only runs on 3 or 2 for a few seconds then its fine for the rest ot the day. is it just a dirty MAF or signs something else may need looking at.

Sir Roofy
11th April 2013, 02:46 PM
Hi need help not being diesel minded, on start up seems it only runs on 3 or 2 for a few seconds then its fine for the rest ot the day. is it just a dirty MAF or signs something else may need looking at.

do your maf and see how it goes, then run some ejector cleaner through it if that doesnt help it might be injectors replacement( ouch)
only guessing mate good luck with it

krbrooking
11th April 2013, 03:19 PM
Am also only guessing TD but could it also be something to do with your glow plugs not all heating???

threedogs
11th April 2013, 04:22 PM
OK thanks, I'll do both. runs like a dream its just that first cold start up. Thanks heaps quick and easy hopefully without the OUCH factor
If all this fails I'll pop over to Outback 4WD for an Autopsy lol

Ive ended up putting some WYNNES injector cleaner in the tanks, filling up in the morning and going to Yarck for the weekend
hopefully giving it a run will help last decent trip was with BOB up the Murray, but a while ago now

threedogs
12th April 2013, 04:41 PM
Ended up not going to Yarck as feeling like a sack of YNW, As per post tipped in some Wynnes injector cleaner $200 bucks of fuel and cleaned the MAF.
Straight off much smoother, So now I'm going to clean MAF once a month regardless. Might flick up to Tallarook Saturday morning if feeling ok not 100%
on that yet but definitely Sunday morning. Its only a short run from my place but will get rid of a few cobwebs I hope, Thanks Guys

my third 256
13th April 2013, 08:13 AM
mates 2.8 had the same problem as you turned out blown glo plug
easy to check with multi meter

threedogs
13th April 2013, 08:21 AM
Do ppl replace just the faulty one or all 4 , thinking thats there is 4
Thanks My third
Approx cost each and is OE best???

happygu
13th April 2013, 09:30 AM
Hi Threedogs,

It does sound like you have a GlowPlug on the way out.

I would replace them all, as I think after watching and contributing to a few forums over the years, that this is one of the contributing factors to the 3L problems and hence reputation ......Over time the tips break off, and fall into the tiny space between the head and the top of the piston where they shouldn't be...... your truck will love you for it if you get there first to prevent that.

Mic

threedogs
13th April 2013, 10:09 AM
any idea on approx cost ?? x4

happygu
13th April 2013, 01:05 PM
Genuine Nissan from Nizzbits @ $66 each

threedogs
13th April 2013, 02:57 PM
Just started it for today and all was good but I'll get onto garry about
a set of new ones, he's only around the corner

threedogs
18th April 2013, 10:01 AM
Update, big fan of fault finding by only doing one thing at a time, I did MAF and
injector cleaner at the same time, I would have thought if it was the MAF ,problem
would be fixed straight away. Started it this morning and was perfect so I'm going to run injector cleaner
every 2nd tank or on my Fishing sojuours, Thanks to those who had imput, much appreciated
So problem was injectors IMO, I only fill at Caltex

the ferret
18th April 2013, 10:33 AM
Buy Genuine TD, nothing else!!
Cheers, the ferret.

taslucas
18th April 2013, 11:02 AM
Buy Genuine TD, nothing else!!
Cheers, the ferret.

Beware of cheap copies!!

FanTapstic!

threedogs
18th April 2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks Lucas prices vary from $240 to $66 for four,
need to drive it everyday so will be going as suggested and buying OE.

boots
18th April 2013, 05:26 PM
Caltex diesel fuel in vic is junk . thats your issue all along . avoid and you wont have issues mate .

threedogs
18th April 2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks mate only use as its just around the corner I'll try BP in future.
Seems to be running fine though get about 350K to half main tank