PDA

View Full Version : Roof Lights - Are they Legal

krbrooking
11th April 2013, 03:25 AM
Why not just go all the way up and put it on your roof racks. Be completely out the way then.

Maxhead
11th April 2013, 07:13 AM
Why not just go all the way up and put it on your roof racks. Be completely out the way then.

I think I remember someone saying that as of November this is going to be illigal. No lights on roof.

.........on the move

BigRAWesty
11th April 2013, 07:20 AM
I think I remember someone saying that as of November this is going to be illigal. No lights on roof.

.........on the move

As it stands, all forward facing lights have to be in front of the driver. And not more than 300mm into line of sight..
Well, that's sa regs

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Winnie
11th April 2013, 07:27 AM

.........on the move

Yes but having that light on top of the bullbar would also be illegal as its restricting vision. When I get my light bar it's going on the roof but with my rack will be sitting in front of me. This came in LAST November as far as I know.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Maxhead
11th April 2013, 07:35 AM
Yes but having that light on top of the bullbar would also be illegal as its restricting vision. When I get my light bar it's going on the roof but with my rack will be sitting in front of me. This came in LAST November as far as I know.

Its in a good spot now and not on top bullbar and from memory Healys rack was only half size at the back.

You need all the light you can get Chriso....you know ..for them times when you need to find your pants....bwahaha

.........on the move

Winnie
11th April 2013, 07:39 AM
Or to spot Jonathan coming at me with a fist full of cable ties

MudRunnerTD
11th April 2013, 08:03 AM
This discussion started in another thread and will get buried there so i have pulled it out for all to comment.

Very interesting..

We have been putting covers on spotlights for years and remove for "Bush only" applications. Is this where we are headed with Light Bars too?

healy
11th April 2013, 08:14 AM
This discussion started in another thread and will get buried there so i have pulled it out for all to comment.

Very interesting..

We have been putting covers on spotlights for years and remove for "Bush only" applications. Is this where we are headed with Light Bars too?

That's gonna be hard to make covers as the shapes and sizes are so different that means we will be spending $700+ so we can get light bars with covers of the more popular brands this is gonna suck

threedogs
11th April 2013, 08:18 AM
@ winnie nothing on top of bull bar bigger than 30mm from memory, Maybe have to resort to flip up
either by electric or air actuator light bar mounting racks. then only activate when off road,
Surely you cant be pinged if they are facing down. but then again

threedogs
11th April 2013, 08:40 AM
Certainly looks interesting. I knew the HF anntenna needed to be rear mounted.
Well not many places other than the back.
Hope its an Aus wide rule and not a different one per state
Bloke I know cut a slot in his bullbar to fit a light bar,
4x4 was non airbag and care factor very low. could always
fit an 18" job between the CATO straps on bullbar

Lots of guys in my club are turning to those small 3" antenna
placed in the centre of the roof , but no ones drilling a hole in my roof
regardless of reception, but if it becomes law,,,,,,,,,,,,,Well

GQ TANK
11th April 2013, 11:10 PM
We have been looking at the new codan auto tune antenna in the hope that we could mount the auto tune unit below the height of the bonnet and only have the stainless whip visable.

The other concern was what impact would a hf transmitter have on the engine eletonics if the antenna was mounted close to the engine - ie on the bull bar.

The main reson is we have vehilce that dont have an easy option for mounting a HF on the rear of the vheicle - ie territorys

commsman
13th April 2013, 03:43 PM
The old rule for lights (and keep in mind I have been out of Australia for 6 years) was:

Fog lights must be mounted low (no higher than the headlights) and MUST be switched through the parking lights and be on their own switch and only to be used when conditions require them to be used. i.e. you can turn the fog lights off, but they cannot be turned on without the use of the parking lights. They must also be balanced (i.e. two of them at a time, not just one on a single side of the car)
Driving / Spot lights can't be mounted any higher than the headlights and MUST be switched through the high beam and be on their own switch and only used when conditions are appropriate (no one withing 200 metres). i.e. you can turn the spot driving lights off, but they cannot be turned on without the use of high beam. They must also be balanced. (i.e. one mounted either side balanced with each other they must come on together, or if you have three one must be in the middle and they must all come on together).
Roof lights (The cops call them take down lights) MUST be switched indepedent to any other light (i.e. are not allowed to be switched to activate through parking / low beam / high beam / reverse etc.) I'm not sure about the MUST be switched from the exterior of the vehicle, but I'd be putting an override switch on the inside as well anyway so some sherlock holmes at the shopping centre didn't activate it for you and kill the battery.
Again basic rule is to check the local regulations, they are all available through a Google search and they do change regularly.
As for the HF (bit off topic), but there are issues here. It is a large diameter antenna which blocks the drivers field of vision so shouldn't go up front; but the problem being is that part of the tuner (most of it infact) is also used in transmission of the signal and therefore if it is hidden down behind the bonnet or the back of the car there is a good chance the radio won't auto tune properly (or at all) and signal will be degraded. The only real solutions are to have a mount behind the car so the top of the tuner just sticks out over the top of the roof and the whip goes on top. Alternatively get a different type of tuner (like Icom or Q-Mac) where the tuner is a unit mounted inside the vehicle or under the bonnet etc. and a live 'hotwire' is run to a smaller diameter antenna mounted like a normal CB antenna. The other alternative is to stop (rather than use the radio whilst driving and throw a long wire over a tree branch and have a sort of fixed antenna. I always keep a long wire in the car as a back up.

regards,

Brian.

DX grunt
13th April 2013, 03:55 PM

Mate, I've seen you drive and you need more help than a couple of light covers!! PML

NP99
13th April 2013, 04:17 PM
What a croc of sh1t. If you want a rig with Xmas lights everywhere that should be fine, how you use them should be the concern.