PDA

View Full Version : Tents to the Cape.

Tonks
10th April 2013, 07:09 PM
Hi Everyone,
What tent or tents should i take to the cape, 2 adults 2 kids aged 13 & 11.
1.Don't wanna spend a fortune,
2.Don't wanna have to much weight, (GU wagon ARB roof rack )
3.Don't wanna spend heaps of time setting up or packing up.

What are your thoughts,

Cheers
Tonks.

NP99
10th April 2013, 07:25 PM
Take a walk through Annaconda's.......it's such a subjective selection. Good luck with your choice.

Sir Roofy
10th April 2013, 07:26 PM
Have you thought about swags 2singles and a double with a tarp over the top

or 2 x4 man tents plenty of room easy to set up and pull down 2kmart jobs would do it
there strong and can take a hammering if the weather turns

unless you have deep pockets stay away from rays annaconda maybe bcf
aussie disposals are not bad or try the local sports shops

Tonks
10th April 2013, 07:34 PM
Have you thought about swags 2singles and a double with a tarp over the top

or 2 x4 man tents plenty of room easy to set up and pull down 2kmart jobs would do it
there strong and can take a hammering if the weather turns

We have 4 swags and was thinking that,
Also we have 2 decent Coleman small 4 man tents,
Also have a oztent tourer 9 I think it is called, the one with the pole in the middle but I think it is just to big and bulky to cart around.

Sir Roofy
10th April 2013, 07:40 PM
we have 4 swags and was thinking that,
also we have 2 decent coleman small 4 man tents,
also have a oztent tourer 9 i think it is called, the one with the pole in the middle but i think it is just to big and bulky to cart around.

well the tourer is a good tent but as you said heavy bulky
id go the swags and throw in the tents just in case there lite
easy to put on the rack along with the swags

cheers

threedogs
10th April 2013, 07:42 PM
Those Geo style are fine dont worry about fitting fly. pack small nice and light too
Make sure zip is in good nick, went up the Cape in 83 using K-mart 3 man jobs
broken zip, in Lakefield National Park, Shot two Tiapan in two minutes.
So the 3 great white hunters slept in the car, only that night though,
swagged it on the banks of the Jardine Bats pist on us all night..lol
All part of the trip I say

emu
10th April 2013, 09:43 PM
I swear by Black Wolf tents, the canvas ones come in 2100 and 3000sq, new their around the 1k mark but keep an eye out on fleabay because they come up at halve the price now and then.
If you buy a crap tent and it falls apart youll have a miserable time putting up with cranky kids...............my experience says a good nights sleep is worth it's weight in gold.

Cheers

Blacklotusdog
10th April 2013, 11:29 PM
X2 on the black wolf turbo, can get em a heap cheaper then anaconda rays etc on eBay or a couple of online retailers, I got the canvas 300 plus which is freaking huge, prob could have just gone the 300. It's pretty heavy at around 35kg but that's cos it's the canvas. The standard 300 in lite version might be worth a look for you, could prob get one for $600ish

Dougie80
11th April 2013, 12:17 AM
swag and tarp is the go less time to set up more time enjoying the cape

Tonks
11th April 2013, 01:53 AM
X2 on the black wolf turbo, can get em a heap cheaper then anaconda rays etc on eBay or a couple of online retailers, I got the canvas 300 plus which is freaking huge, prob could have just gone the 300. It's pretty heavy at around 35kg but that's cos it's the canvas. The standard 300 in lite version might be worth a look for you, could prob get one for $600ish

Can you sleep 4 in the 300 lite ?

Tonks
11th April 2013, 01:55 AM
swag and tarp is the go less time to set up more time enjoying the cape

Sounds good, and I have all that in the shed already to go.

Blacklotusdog
11th April 2013, 06:10 AM
Can you sleep 4 in the 300 lite ?

Could easy sleep 4, prob about ten minutes to set up the tent fully, 3 if you don't put the fly on.

P4trol
11th April 2013, 07:29 AM
I currently have a jet tent 25x (x is the little annex at the back). They're expensive, but check ebay.

Your question is really subjective. Anything good is going to cost you. Quick to put up is often heavy and big (30 second tent). Unless you have two able adults, heavy stuff up/down the roof rack ain't fun.

How often would it rain in the dry season at the cape? How cold? NT dry let's you get away with just the tent fly (except for the bats).

What sort of people are you? There was a thread maybe on here about people and their other halves willingness to go camping. Some were lucky and she would watch from the 5 star hotel. Others managed to coax as long as there was a caravan park with running water. Backpackers are regularly seen sleeping in vehicles or the dodgiest of tents.

So bringing that to tents, do you have to have something you can stand in? Is it the end of the world if the zip breaks or it turns into a swimming pool? Are you cool if it only lasts the cape trip? These things only you know, but everyone (or everyone's partner) has their level of comfort.

threedogs
11th April 2013, 08:32 AM
My only problem I see with swags is that these days they roll up HUGE, I brought a King single and it just fits in the back of the GU,
On a roof Rack it would look ridiculas , 3 swags on a 4by nah not for me, sure easy as seting up and breaking camp .Can't beat them.
4 peg 1 pole Safari style tent easy as could travel flat on roof rack.?
Good question though as I haven't decided what I'll use yet, won't be swags though.

Cuppa
11th April 2013, 08:59 AM
Southern Cross touring tent. Heavy duty canvas & floor. Quick & easy to erect. PM me if interested.

Cuppa

threedogs
11th April 2013, 09:05 AM
@ Cuppa that what I'm thinking Great tent easy up and down Packs and travells flat.
Plus thinking Whole family could sleep in that one, great sales pitch Cuppa lol

Tonks
11th April 2013, 12:33 PM
Southern Cross touring tent. Heavy duty canvas & floor. Quick & easy to erect. PM me if interested.

Cuppa

Yep thats what weve got, but i reckon its to big and bulky for the roof rack,

But i agree its good for the 4 of us,

Still debating what to take.

Tonks
11th April 2013, 12:36 PM
My only problem I see with swags is that these days they roll up HUGE, I brought a King single and it just fits in the back of the GU,
On a roof Rack it would look ridiculas , 3 swags on a 4by nah not for me, sure easy as seting up and breaking camp .Can't beat them.
4 peg 1 pole Safari style tent easy as could travel flat on roof rack.?
Good question though as I haven't decided what I'll use yet, won't be swags though.

3D,

You have to put only 1 sleeping bag & 1 pillow in not 2, and roll up very tight and they will be fine on the roof rack,

Cheers.

Tonks
11th April 2013, 09:28 PM
The bride reckons stuff it, its only money lets buy a kimberley camper,

Sell it when we get back,

Now we are talking.

P4trol
11th April 2013, 11:36 PM
Lol. Appear to change you mind about selling it when you get back...

BigRAWesty
12th April 2013, 05:19 AM
The bride reckons stuff it, its only money lets buy a kimberley camper,

Sell it when we get back,

Now we are talking.

:eek: winner winner..

Now where's her sisters mobile number.. ;)

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

TMC
12th April 2013, 05:51 AM
My old man had a tent like cuppas. It's near 30 years and still a good tent.
Just like everything else its all about maintence.
Good luck with the trip