PDA

View Full Version : egr block

kevin07
9th April 2013, 03:08 PM
i blocked the egr on sunday morning well thats made a difference more power and a lot smoother. boost i can only make it boost to 17 maybe once to 18 as this spike otherwise it behaves very good i can see the boost comes on quicker, and the egts are lower have not really checked properly yet but probably about a hundred odd and ill see when i take it for a run.kev

Maxhead
9th April 2013, 03:22 PM
i blocked the egr on sunday morning well thats made a difference more power and a lot smoother. boost i can only make it boost to 17 maybe once to 18 as this spike otherwise it behaves very good i can see the boost comes on quicker, and the egts are lower have not really checked properly yet but probably about a hundred odd and ill see when i take it for a run.kev

Good to hear mate. I did mine a while ago and the car feels great around town but went for quick spin to Vic and back on the weekend and noticed I was boosting to 22psi when cruising at 110k's. It was only doing it at cruising speeds between 100 and 120 and if I accelerated or deccelerated the boost would drop down ...hmmmmm ???

I'm just resetting the computer to see how it goes but I have ordered a dawes valve just in case.

Have you tried yours on the highway cruising at constant 110k's??? be interested to see the result as you have same motor and exhaust

kevin07
10th April 2013, 08:29 AM
ill give it a run on the weekend see how it goes tell me how did yours behave when you fitted the zorst

threedogs
10th April 2013, 08:32 AM
Was there a post a while back about the CR needing a hole in the EGR plate to stop throwing up errors.
Not that long ago

Maxhead
10th April 2013, 08:35 AM
ill give it a run on the weekend see how it goes tell me how did yours behave when you fitted the zorst

Yeah, it was a different vehicle after fitting the exhaust...soooo much more grunt and torque but no over boost issues till EGR block...

Maxhead
10th April 2013, 08:37 AM
Was there a post a while back about the CR needing a hole in the EGR plate to stop throwing up errors.
Not that long ago

No one here is talking about EGR errors. I was saying mine overboosts when cruising at 110ks

kevin07
10th April 2013, 08:37 AM
i have read a bit about them and they only throw a code every so often i have the ultraguage handy

schanmala
10th April 2013, 02:20 PM
I think it's something to do with the egr valve opening and closing at cruising speed/lower engine loads.

Not sure if this is correct:

1. At idle Egr opens to let crap exhaust recirculate
2. You accellerate off and egr closes and boost comes on (high egts)
3. You hit cruising speed. Ecu reads there's low (less than ~55%?? on scangauge) engine load and cruising. Ecu opens the egr valve (even though it's blocked)
4. Bosst pressure increases as more air is flowing??? egt lower
5. Accellerate (more load) egr closes, less boost, more fuel = higher egts

Sooo this happens even on a stock CRD. Try it...
Get up to 100 and cruise. When you are going slightly (less load) down hill you'll notice boost increases.(egr opening) EGTS go way down as more air is flowing
Tap the accellerartor and egr closes and boost goes lower and egt rise as more fuel is being pumped with less air.

Bigger exhaust just makes the boost value slightly higher
Then the EGR block raises the boost even more.

Just what i think what happens. Might be wrong.

Maxhead
10th April 2013, 02:51 PM
I think it's something to do with the egr valve opening and closing at cruising speed/lower engine loads.

Not sure if this is correct:

1. At idle Egr opens to let crap exhaust recirculate
2. You accellerate off and egr closes and boost comes on (high egts)
3. You hit cruising speed. Ecu reads there's low (less than ~55%?? on scangauge) engine load and cruising. Ecu opens the egr valve (even though it's blocked)
4. Bosst pressure increases as more air is flowing??? egt lower
5. Accellerate (more load) egr closes, less boost, more fuel = higher egts

Sooo this happens even on a stock CRD. Try it...
Get up to 100 and cruise. When you are going slightly (less load) down hill you'll notice boost increases.(egr opening) EGTS go way down as more air is flowing
Tap the accellerartor and egr closes and boost goes lower and egt rise as more fuel is being pumped with less air.

Bigger exhaust just makes the boost value slightly higher
Then the EGR block raises the boost even more.

Just what i think what happens. Might be wrong.

Mate you are absolutely spot on from my observations. I experimented this on the highway and come to the same conclusion as above.

I had the battery disconnected overnight and just went for a drive and still have the 22psi at cruise speed. It seems to occur more around the 100-120ks(haven't been any quicker since block) but it could be happening at lower cruising speeds without such big boost increase.

So....now I am waiting for my dawes valve to arrive so I can control the boost and limit it to 15/16 psi.

kevin07
10th April 2013, 04:51 PM
Mate you are absolutely spot on from my observations. I experimented this on the highway and come to the same conclusion as above.

I had the battery disconnected overnight and just went for a drive and still have the 22psi at cruise speed. It seems to occur more around the 100-120ks(haven't been any quicker since block) but it could be happening at lower cruising speeds without such big boost increase.

So....now I am waiting for my dawes valve to arrive so I can control the boost and limit it to 15/16 psi.
from what ive read the majority are adjusting turbo so if it happens to me ill probably look at that or chase up some parts and do the double dawes as i like the boost curve on the diagrams put up by chaz hope im right by saying chaz i do have the diagrams saved for this setup

Maxhead
10th April 2013, 05:51 PM
from what ive read the majority are adjusting turbo so if it happens to me ill probably look at that or chase up some parts and do the double dawes as i like the boost curve on the diagrams put up by chaz hope im right by saying chaz i do have the diagrams saved for this setup

Yeah I know about adjusting the VNT actuator screw but I wanted to leave all that untouched and just install the dawes valve to control that boost spike.....
I do like Chazs double dawes setup tho...http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/Manual%20Boost%20Controller.htm

I want to keep the modifications to minimum so I might even take the block out all together...

mudski
10th April 2013, 06:44 PM
Don't waste your time with the double dawes setup. Theres not much difference between 10 and 15psi, or there abouts. I did it but found I just kept it on the higher boost setting so I ripped it out. The was no difference in fuel eco between the two settings and power difference I could notice it, albeit small, so it stayed on the higher setting.
Your best off installing a needle valve along with the dawes to control the spool up rate of the turbo, getting a better zorst and chip.

Mark.

Edit : keep the block in nisshead. Your doing your engine good with it in.

kevin07
14th April 2013, 12:53 AM
Good to hear mate. I did mine a while ago and the car feels great around town but went for quick spin to Vic and back on the weekend and noticed I was boosting to 22psi when cruising at 110k's. It was only doing it at cruising speeds between 100 and 120 and if I accelerated or deccelerated the boost would drop down ...hmmmmm ???

I'm just resetting the computer to see how it goes but I have ordered a dawes valve just in case.

Have you tried yours on the highway cruising at constant 110k's??? be interested to see the result as you have same motor and exhaust

ok took it for a spin on m5 on my way home from work went through speeds of 100 to 120 so at 110kph just cruisin along boost was 11psi steady egts were 320c im pretty happy with that.kev

4MUD
18th April 2013, 08:51 PM
hi guys, I fitted the dawes valve to my 08 crd and fixed all overboosting issues, will need to readjusted after a few 1000kms as it losses its initial setting due to general wear and tear. set mine to 16psi and pulls nice and hard. when shifting hard it only spikes to 19psi for a very minut second so thats spot on.
Just wondering which end you blanked the egr wether it was on the exhast or inlet end. photos would be great. Also did you make the plate or buy it online.
Cheers

boots
18th April 2013, 09:36 PM
Inlet side for the egr block is the easiest and online to purchase . A couple of the members sell them here - the ferrett , and mudski from memory .

kevin07
19th April 2013, 12:09 AM
hi guys, I fitted the dawes valve to my 08 crd and fixed all overboosting issues, will need to readjusted after a few 1000kms as it losses its initial setting due to general wear and tear. set mine to 16psi and pulls nice and hard. when shifting hard it only spikes to 19psi for a very minut second so thats spot on.
Just wondering which end you blanked the egr wether it was on the exhast or inlet end. photos would be great. Also did you make the plate or buy it online.
Cheers

blocked it at inlet bought from bertye on ebay

SonOf
19th April 2013, 11:35 AM
I did the EGR block and added the dawes valve - was getting excellent fuel economy & the boost was far more linear, sitting on about 10psi at 100kmh. It is pretty easy to fit the dawes and would highly recommend it

fs1952
19th April 2013, 07:37 PM
I fitted a Dawes Valve and boast gauge on a pillar pod. Set the Valve to 18psi, no problems.