PDA

View Full Version : FOR Cuppa

threedogs
8th April 2013, 05:14 PM
Hi mate thought these might bring a tear to your eyes ,most are 1954 to 1956. I can related to most bikes, and makes for some great reading. all the old Gran prix stuff. plus the ins and outs of the motor bikes of the time. I drag them out every now and again to read the technical stuff. My motor bike days started with a 65 trophy with a 66 bonnie head, 2 into one split Dunstall megaphones, clip ons, what a rocket.lol That was very early 70s then the Honda 4 came along and rode them for a while and racing at the same time, then a V4 750 honda and last the mighty CB 1100r 10.5 sec 1/4 mile and 280 kph straight out of the box. worked at a lot of Honda shops all over Aus. Miss the bikes would love a project bike one day.

Cuppa
8th April 2013, 05:47 PM
Hi TD.just got home from a weekend in good company up around the Castlemaine area, sat down for a much needed cup of tea & there you are bringin' a nostalgic tear to the eye. Best Triumph i had was a TriBsa I built. A '58 Tiger 110 with 8 stud splayed carby alloy head (later replaced with an iron single carby head after I was offered silly money for the splayed head 'cos it was a sought after item in classic racing circles of the time), all in a BSA A10 (Golden Flash) frame, with early '70's conical hub twin leader front end with Ferodo green racing linings. (replacing the knackered Norton road holders & twin leading shoe I fitted first up).
Was a great bike which went through many guises during the time I owned it, from cafe racer to sidecar tug. It wasn't an especially 'pretty' bike, but was my mainstay, year round transport in the UK for a number of years.
Was capable of 115mph, & gained a little brass plaque on one of it's side panels which read "This motorcycle is capable of more than 100mph, as verified by the Essex County Constabulary".
Seen here featuring a youthful MrsTea outside the first house we bought. Circa 1980, Colchester, England. And still there (up the back) about 6 years later at our second house, along with the rest of my 'stable', just prior to us moving to Australia

threedogs
8th April 2013, 06:30 PM
Tribsa and tritons WOW mate we really need to sit down and have a long long chat over these Great icons of yesteryear.
Not a big fan of the new all covered Plasitc bikes, They say my era was the Naked bikes, Makes sense to me.
When I first started work as a sewing machine Tech, it was right next door to Frank Mussett Motorcycles, biggest Triumph dealer at the tim along with JAWA and
the odd BSA. Everyday staring at brand new T120s . Then came the Jap invasion and Harleys only since Mid 80s if that, in the numbers they are now.
Boy have I got some Triump stories One mate had a Trident with a twin disc Honda4 front end he raced and another had a Hurricaine Which I believe
was an Americanised Trident, Boy wish I had one Now hey $$$$$$$, I'll did up some interesting stuff these are UK books too not OZ

Stropp
8th April 2013, 09:00 PM
They all bring back memories for me too, I had a 77 bonnie a 80 bonnie and then went onto a Harley in 81. I also bought and sold about 15 triumphs and bsa's after doing them up while I had the bonnies.

Cuppa
8th April 2013, 10:16 PM
Can't match 15 Triumphs! But bikes & mainly British bikes were my passion & lifestyle for 30 years.

A couple more pics.

My first Triumph, a '76 T140V Bonnie (aka 'Doris2') with yours truly somewhere in France in the late 70's.

And the two Triumphs still in my shed. Haven't ridden either for about 5 years though.

A '99 Thunderbird 900 triple
& a '74 Daytona T100R 'special'.

And the bike I most regret selling. A 1952 Ariel Red Hunter VH (500cc single) aka 'Ruby'. Could manage 90mph, gave 70 mpg & was the most comfortable bike I ever had.

Cuppa

threedogs
9th April 2013, 08:06 AM
Your 74 t140 the tank we called the bread box over here, the tear drop was a dick tank or american.
Dropped off triumphs when they came out with starter motors,
Mate had an Indian Chief 1927 I think never did get to see that finished

could kick myself now only 30 of these came to Oz, this was my baby. RB CB 1100R

Coldcomfort
9th April 2013, 04:23 PM
Triumph have come a long way.... Have you guys had a google for the new Triumph Trophy??

Very nice machine.

threedogs
9th April 2013, 06:38 PM
Dont Triumph have a huge flagship model out. I'm more into a retro style look
I'm sure they make. If anyone has a bike that needs restoring feel free to PM.
Some massive bikes out atm, Saw that 350 chev job in the flesh what a weapon

Cuppa
9th April 2013, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I guess my preference is for the naked/retro style too. The new
Trophy is no doubt a great tourer, but I'm afraid it's looks don't get
me going. I like to see the bike itself, not the plastic covering.
Maybe it's an age thing but ever since full fairings/bodywork became
the norm I've tended to think that most bikes look too alike.

These are the sort of bikes that get my juices flowing.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/55.jpg