PDA

View Full Version : '98 GU RD28T alternator, can I drive without it?

Grahame
8th April 2013, 12:22 PM
My alternator has thrown a bearing and seized, problem is I'm in the bush and waiting for parts to come to me will be quite some time.

All my manuals ect are at home so now I have this question, if I remove the alternator drive belts can I run the car on battery alone for a few hundred km's?

Is anything else driven from the alternator drive belts?

Cheers,
Grahame?

Rip'n'Shred
8th April 2013, 02:12 PM
I don't know if anything else runs on the alternator belt. Best to have a look if your stuck. Apart from that it should be ok till your battery runs flat as far as I know.

I wouldn't be surprised if the water pump runs on the same belt though. You wouldn't want to run without the water pump turning.

philfree
8th April 2013, 08:28 PM
yer the big one is the water pump i don't have a 2.8 but my 4.2 has 2 belts doing 2 different things so i could take a belt off and keep driving till the battery goes flat be very carefull about driving with no water pump won't go to long at all , having said that if your realy stuck and they both run to the alternator you might be able to rig something like a stocking from the crank to the water pump to get some flow going

NP99
8th April 2013, 08:37 PM
Also dont want a flat battery while driving. It feeds power to the on board computer!!!!

Grahame
8th April 2013, 11:13 PM
Thanks for your replies, there is two belts on here, with three pulleys, alternator,fan and another one below the fan.
If I can just confirm which is the water pump now ill be right. Have dual batteries setup and a generator to charge when needed.

rottodiver
9th April 2013, 06:16 PM
I drove over 800 Kim's last year with no alternator and the 2 batteries linked together. Apparently ignition runs at about 4 amps per hour. If you have solar panels put the on the roof and connect to the batteries that will help a bit.. You should make it with no radio air con etc on and batteries fully charged.
Scotty