PDA

View Full Version : Do you loan your workshop tools?

NP99
7th April 2013, 07:15 PM
I don't except to my son. He come over today to pick up my mig welder. Only problem loaning out tools to him, they take a while to find their way home.

jack
7th April 2013, 07:17 PM
Not anymore, 'lost' to much in the past.

paulyg
7th April 2013, 07:24 PM
No way, been burnt to many times.

Dominator
7th April 2013, 07:31 PM
Yeah I loan my tools to my mates, same as they loan their gear to me. If I can't trust them with my tools then they are not a mate, they are an acquaintance. And I wouldn't loan my tools to an acquaintance.

Brendan56
7th April 2013, 07:33 PM
Loaned my tools to a mate and now I only have half a spanner set.
Don't lend them anymore.
Tappin trolls
Brendan

growler2058
7th April 2013, 07:37 PM
yup i do..

MudRunnerTD
7th April 2013, 07:43 PM
Yes I loan my tools but I'm a package deal! I come with the tools, shuffle them and help them home at the end ;)

cgm
7th April 2013, 07:48 PM
Yes I loan my tools but I'm a package deal! I come with the tools, shuffle them and help them home at the end ;)

Yep, wherever possible same approach.

You also learn who they can go to without supervision required. :)

tapatalk on galaxy note

fracster
7th April 2013, 07:58 PM
Never, not any more. Got burned to many times in the past.

Drewboyaus
7th April 2013, 10:01 PM
Hey daz can I borrow your mower next weekend? :D

You can have it after me mate!
Actually............I also need a whipper snipper and rake as well. That'll keep you busy Daz....LMAO

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

mudnut
7th April 2013, 10:27 PM
One of my workmates used to lend out his tools, but he had a log book and tickets that he made the borrower sign.

threedogs
8th April 2013, 08:43 AM
No I dont lend but you can watch no charge, as tools are my living,
working in Alice years ago a low life stole my Tool box the lot.
NO TOOLS NO INCOME

NP99
8th April 2013, 09:27 AM
No I dont lend but you can watch no charge, as tools are my living,
working in Alice years ago a low life stole my Tool box the lot.
NO TOOLS NO INCOME

Hope they injure themselves.....

threedogs
8th April 2013, 09:34 AM
Had to leave and jump on a plane back to Melb.
Made a report but never heard a thing
the territory is a big place....
Some tools you just cant replace, But now need to train both my sons
to returns tools to the proper spot wiped clean from grease. So the next person
know where to find them

NP99
8th April 2013, 09:36 AM
My wife is the worst.....she will use my screwdrivers as chisels................."why are you yelling" :)

PMC
8th April 2013, 10:05 AM
Yeah I loan my tools to my mates, same as they loan their gear to me. If I can't trust them with my tools then they are not a mate, they are an acquaintance. And I wouldn't loan my tools to an acquaintance.

Well said Dominator,

I agree with Dominator 100%

Regards,

RLI

TJsGQ
8th April 2013, 02:29 PM
I'm a swapper but only if they have something I want..!

Coldcomfort
8th April 2013, 02:31 PM
Nope, never. Too many times I have needed something only to remember that ol mate has it. I ring ol mate and he says yeah I have got that, you can come pick it up anytime...... Can anyone see whats wrong there??

lorrieandjas
8th April 2013, 04:19 PM
Nope, never. Too many times I have needed something only to remember that ol mate has it. I ring ol mate and he says yeah I have got that, you can come pick it up anytime...... Can anyone see whats wrong there??

Only that you didn't take a slab over when you picked them up??? :oops:

But seriously - that is exactly the issue with some "mates".

Jas

threedogs
8th April 2013, 05:37 PM
I thought he only just realised who borrowed it in the first place.
Hand tools I dont lend out. But between my circle we have most trades covered
Welders ,heat guns, demo saws, Hilti guns right through to Plaslode nail guns. We all
have our own compressors. Best tool in any work shop, Mine's only $99 Supercheap job
But boy has it pumped out some work. Think I'll need one a bit bigger to spray paint though.

Changed my best tool in the shed to those cordless drills you can take wheel nuts off with
how easy are they when pulling something apart

my third 256
8th April 2013, 05:46 PM
and what about the tool that is lent and comes back broken
oh it was like that when i picked it up
eg kutcher power washer came back with 3 holes in the hose
went there the day before when i showed him how to use it
wifes cousin borrowed trailer came back 2 broken tail lights
oh it was like that when i picked it up
when he picked it up the lights were checked
outcone oh you dont expect me to pay for the new lenses do you
the next week rings and asks if the lights are fixed (oh im thinking maybe he is going to give me some coin towards cost wrong)
can i borrow the trailer again next week
reply bugger off no

NP99
8th April 2013, 06:27 PM
My petrol driven mulcher i had to go and collect, it was left in the open and had paint drift from a spray job all over it. That was loaned to a family member never again after that.

Cuppa
8th April 2013, 07:04 PM
Only if they are replaceable, I have more than one & I know the person borrowing them would replace them without needing to be asked if they were damaged or lost. Generally I would prefer the 'borrower' came to my place to use them, or I accompany the tools to where they are used. I've had plenty of crap tools over the years, but now have some good ones I value. My neighbour borrows my crap & worn tools sometimes, because they are usually less crap & less worn than his. Anything else he wants, I volunteer to do the job for him myself.

No-one but me uses my chainsaw though. When my son wanted to borrow it, I bought him a secondhand one of his own. My last saw (Stihl 036) lasted me 15 years (& I then sold it for parts on ebay for $340). It's replacement (Stihl MS362) is only about 12 months old.

Cuppa

mrflibbles
8th April 2013, 07:17 PM
i dont lend my tools,i need them for work. I am happy to go with my tools and lend a hand, the only exception to this would be my father in law i know he will look after my tools and get them back as soon as possible.
If i borrow any tools i make sure they go back in as good as or better condition than when i borrowed them. (borrowed a chainsaw and sent it back with the oil and fuel i purchased to use in it,or the mig welder i borrowed i bought an extra roll of wire and some tips and they went back to the owner of the mig)

too many times in the past i have been ripped of with lending out tools.

Trolatron
8th April 2013, 07:57 PM
Most of my friends are too usless to us the tools I have...they usually ask me to fix things for them.

my third 256
15th May 2017, 07:30 AM
lent a mate my dewalt cordless drill (xrp hammer drill)came back split in half
what happened O IT FELL OFF THE ROOF ONTO THE CONCREET PATH SORRY
after much discussion he replaced with a top of the line milwake brushless cordless drill and 2 x4 ah batteries value $545.00
i did well and he still talks to me

GQtdauto
15th May 2017, 08:21 AM
Never knew we had a thread for this , in the past I've been a sucker and never said no , now when I want something can't find it don't remember who borrowed it , older brother used to loan out tools to family but he said if he can tell it's been used and what colour you were using don't ask again .

Hodge
15th May 2017, 08:42 AM
Don't mind lending anything . As long as it returns, and doesn't end up in the " I'll return it later forgotten " pile.
Oh and as long as they know how to use it properly.

Last time I lent my jack to my cousin , he ended up puncturing his crewmans sump with it. Somehow it slipped... And guess what. He blames the jack in the end.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
15th May 2017, 09:01 AM
Some how it slipped or somehow he put the jack under the sump ? First job I had was on a farm when I was 17 and knew everything but really knew nothing .
Had to jack up a grey fergy tractor and take off a front wheel , put the jack in the most logical spot to me which was under the sump , got the wheel off the ground and you can guess the rest .

macca
15th May 2017, 11:46 AM
/ No-one but me uses my chainsaw though. Cuppa

Had a laugh when I read this, years ago an old bloke told me to never lend your chainsaw or your wife.

GQtdauto
15th May 2017, 12:46 PM
Had a laugh when I read this, years ago an old bloke told me to never lend your chainsaw or your wife.

Yeah but at least I got the chainsaw back so win win really .

the godfather
15th May 2017, 12:50 PM
Nope. If you want to use my tools you can come and do it in my yard or workshop.
I need them to earn a living. None of them are cheap.

PeeBee
15th May 2017, 01:03 PM
Used to, then stopped, then restarted and regret it everytime I go to find something and cant. Then its stop what I'm doing jump in the car and buy it again. Mind you some of these lost tools could be under the crap in the shed also, but to date have not found many.

bazzaboy
15th May 2017, 04:06 PM
Only to my son, the mechanic, although he doesn't call it a loan. He calls it a present. That's how I've ended up buying two of everything.

jack
15th May 2017, 04:26 PM
Who on earth dug up this old thread, now Cuppa will remember I've still got his hydraulic crimper.

my third 256
16th May 2017, 07:18 AM
blame me i did it out of frustration and didnt want to go on the angry thread as sometimes it works out better (not very often though):icon_victory::thumbup::groupwave:

garett
16th May 2017, 08:53 AM
had someone borrow my 1/4 ratchet... now it doesn't ratchet. only got one left now.... and no way is that going anywhere.

Cuppa
16th May 2017, 10:22 AM
Who on earth dug up this old thread, now Cuppa will remember I've still got his hydraulic crimper.

No rush Jack, but the thought of you reading this revived thread did put a grin on my face. :D

threedogs
16th May 2017, 05:51 PM
was working as a mechanic [bikes] in Alice Springs in the early 80s someone thought they liked my tool box better than theirs
Mine was full of speciallist Honda tools from working for Honda over the years, turns our I had to return to Melb, NO TOOLS NO JOB
never did get them back the f,,,,,ing low life.
Received a letter from Alice 3 months later for a bush job working on the Khan railwayline from Marla bore [ no road house] down
to Kingoonya. Home base was the original Kulgera homestead next to the nearly finished Kulgera road house, Its reported the gum tree
out the front was planted by John Batman

jack
16th May 2017, 05:56 PM
No rush Jack, but the thought of you reading this revived thread did put a grin on my face. :D

Returned today, and like I expected the isolator switch was in the mailbox when I arrived home. BUT it's broken and parts are missing, think they only sent it to stop me complaining to eBay.

dom14
16th May 2017, 06:54 PM
was working as a mechanic [bikes] in Alice Springs in the early 80s someone thought they liked my tool box better than theirs
Mine was full of speciallist Honda tools from working for Honda over the years, turns our I had to return to Melb, NO TOOLS NO JOB
never did get them back the f,,,,,ing low life.
Received a letter from Alice 3 months later for a bush job working on the Khan railwayline from Marla bore [ no road house] down
to Kingoonya. Home base was the original Kulgera homestead next to the nearly finished Kulgera road house, Its reported the gum tree
out the front was planted by John Batman

i think you meant Ghan?!
Are you still good with motorbikes?

dom14
16th May 2017, 07:02 PM
One of my workmates used to lend out his tools, but he had a log book and tickets that he made the borrower sign.

How much was he charging for the rent? :)

Cuppa
16th May 2017, 07:18 PM
Returned today, and like I expected the isolator switch was in the mailbox when I arrived home. BUT it's broken and parts are missing, think they only sent it to stop me complaining to eBay.

Photos & another dispute?

jack
16th May 2017, 07:22 PM
Photos & another dispute?

Nah, not worth the effort. Teach me for going cheap and could have been broken in transit.

dom14
16th May 2017, 07:46 PM
Only if they are replaceable, I have more than one & I know the person borrowing them would replace them without needing to be asked if they were damaged or lost. Generally I would prefer the 'borrower' came to my place to use them, or I accompany the tools to where they are used. I've had plenty of crap tools over the years, but now have some good ones I value. My neighbour borrows my crap & worn tools sometimes, because they are usually less crap & less worn than his. Anything else he wants, I volunteer to do the job for him myself.

No-one but me uses my chainsaw though. When my son wanted to borrow it, I bought him a secondhand one of his own. My last saw (Stihl 036) lasted me 15 years (& I then sold it for parts on ebay for $340). It's replacement (Stihl MS362) is only about 12 months old.

Cuppa

Cuppa, where do you live? I wanna move closer to your joint. ;)
I have few jobs that I might need to borrow your valued tools. :D

Cuppa
16th May 2017, 07:50 PM
Cuppa, where do you live? I wanna move closer to your joint. ;)
I have few jobs that I might need to borrow your valued tools. :D

Somewhere inside Victoria, Australia Dom...... even though I've moved since I made that post. ;)

dom14
16th May 2017, 07:54 PM
Somewhere inside Victoria, Australia Dom...... even though I've moved since I made that post. ;)

Bummer for me! I was daydreamin about getting you to volunteer for my yard work and some of my projects. :D
I usually have to pay for that kinda work or get my slack butt into action. ;)