PDA

View Full Version : Tyre recommendations

viksta
7th April 2013, 03:56 PM
Hi all, I have just purchased my 2002 patrol and it currently has 285/75R16's on it and I am wondering if anyone can recommend a decent tyre same size. I was thinking Maxxis bighorns as my partner has them on his cruiser ute and they have been good. We have also been recommended the Federal tyres but I really haven't heard of them before. Does anyone have any good contacts in Brisbane for purchasing tyres as well. Thanks Vikki

threedogs
7th April 2013, 04:03 PM
Hi Vikki have a look at Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib, great all rounder.

04OFF
7th April 2013, 06:35 PM
Look at what do you do with the car, as in mostly road driving, beach, mud etc ?

Whats important to you, quiet on road, good tyre life, cost, looks, the list goes on !

Ive found most people will recommend what tyres they run themselves, which kinda makes sence i guess, i just bougt some BFG KM2s, ive never had them on the car so can't comment from my own experience, but many people say they are one of the best mud tyres , but also they are reported as having very good manners on the road as well.

I also really like the MT ATZs and Bighorns (not that ive owned any), and i know thease tyres perform well for a road car that goes off road, however, i noticed some guys with purpose built off-roaders using KM2s, but have only seen the others brand tyres mentioned used on road cars.

When i also found that the KM2s are reported as being one of the best muddies "on road" in the wet, and are also quiet for a mud tyre, i was sold, especially when they are ment to get good life as well......then i found out how much they cost......:eek:

megatexture
7th April 2013, 07:19 PM
What driving are you going to be doing what % on the black top?, if alot an all terrain might be the better option.

Depending on what tyre fourbys are competitive as far as prices go but lack in the customer service department.
Last time I got rims there they told me it would be a 1 hr job to fit,2.5 hrs later and no explanation why it took so long my wife was pissed!!, 2 weeks later I noticed they had swapped a set of wheel nuts/ studs from 21 to 19 mm in a different thread. That's not an issue for me but if I was unprepared person that Only carried a stock tyre iron they could have been stuck on the side of the road with no chance of changing a flat. I thought it was rather rude not to tell us about any difficulties they had.

happygu
7th April 2013, 07:25 PM
Hi Viksta,

If you have had a good run with the Bighorns, then they would be a well placed option to stick with, but that all depends on what you want to do with the truck.

Mic

Woof
7th April 2013, 11:56 PM
Hi Vikki, tyres in my opinion are a pain, everyone has their favourites and will recommend them........as said above, it depends on how much and what sort of off road driving you will do, and yes I am running Federal 35"s

lhurley
8th April 2013, 06:47 PM
Ive got the Micky Thomson ATZ 4 rib. Pretty happy with them, good off road and good on road too. I probably wouldnt buy them myself (they were new on my car) i would be more inclined to get some KM2's, but they will be more suited to what i want them for. In the end it comes down to what you want out of them. Also look at the MT MTZ's, they seem to go alright too.

dads tractor
9th April 2013, 10:54 PM
As a tire tester for Dunlop pacific the best hint given to me was by a tyre engineer was on heavy tires ie light truck 4x4 etc is to run 6 tyres at the same time rotating from front to rear .The reason is the belts move in a set direction so by keeping the left on the left and the right on the right the belt movement is minimised giving you better balance for a longer period thus better wear on the tread surface . Remember the bigger the block the more weight on the tread = less kms square shoulders for mud and round for sand its all a compromise at the end of the day.

dads tractor
9th April 2013, 10:57 PM
tdm what's your call on the federals mate got a set on the unit I bought and are a good all-rounder from what I'm feeling so far ?

Woof
10th April 2013, 01:54 AM
tdm what's your call on the federals mate got a set on the unit I bought and are a good all-rounder from what I'm feeling so far ?

Can't complain about them so far but I am yet to test them out completely, I play only in mud and rocks but due to work commitments have not had much of a chance yet, hopefully will get a chance as soon as the rain arrives over here.
Just realised that we may be talking about different types, I am running Federal Couragia M/T.

ellan
15th April 2013, 04:21 PM
Tire quality and durability depends on the uses of your vehicle that how you are driving in off road. Everyone has their favorites so everyone will recommend a different so it's difficult to choose.

NP99
17th April 2013, 12:16 AM
Any recommendations by shop?

Superoo
22nd April 2013, 05:04 PM
Hi mate if this helps I had a tight budget and was recommended a tyre called Hi-Trac which comes out of the cooper factory. Ian Diffan tyres do them and I got them fitted for $300. So far so good.

bohuler
26th April 2013, 01:26 PM
I sell tyres and my recomendation when buying tyres is start out with how much you want to spend. There is no point looking at BFG Muddies if you only want to spend $250 a tyre in that size. Once you have what you want to spend then I would be able to recommend a few differnt brands that fit in your budget.
If you are shopping online to purchase your tyres and you are unable to fit them yourself check with your local tyres shop to see what fitting them will cost. I will charge you $30 a tyre to fit your tyre. Ontop of that charge is a remove and refit from your car, balancing the fitted tyre and disposal. On a tyre that size it works out to be between $50-60 a tyre depending on how much you want me to do. All that costing is included in my prices of tyres but be careful when ringing around. Make sure that if the price seems to good to be true, ensure that before they even start to fit your tyres get a final fitted cost from them to make sure they won't charge you cause it has been know that they seller will quote one price and then you go to pay and they say 'oh that was supply only, we did this and this and this so its going to be more expensive".
Dave