PDA

View Full Version : Gu Auto slipping bad

Gazzman
7th April 2013, 12:36 PM
Hi Guys
I went for a short drive today every thing was fine, on my way home stopped for fuel jumped in went to take off and it was slow as buggery ? pulled up went to accelerate away and it was stuggling to change gear I nursed it the 5 k home thinking my fluid level must be low (only changed it 2 weeks ago to synthetic) put a litre in checked the dip stick showing full went for a test drive slightly better but not really drivable
any ideas
Cheers Gaz

happygu
7th April 2013, 12:52 PM
Not sounding good Gazzman

Did you make sure the fluid was compatible for the Nissan?

threedogs
7th April 2013, 12:54 PM
IMO I would drain and re fill per OE specs AT oil.

Gazzman
7th April 2013, 12:55 PM
Yeah Bud
Valvoline Max life dex/merc atf says suitable for nissan mati D,J and K

Gazzman
7th April 2013, 12:57 PM
And by the way no bang clunk crunch or any abnomal noise ?

93patrol
7th April 2013, 01:03 PM
Is your car revving abnormally high? If it is you may need to adjust the bands on the clutches inside the auto. Check with the workshop manual to see specs for it as it may need to be set to a specific torque. Normally when you do an auto service this is done because the new fluid doesn't have the friction the old stuff has

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

Gazzman
7th April 2013, 01:08 PM
no not really and one minute it was fine the next crap ? thinking of dropping the pan and clean the filter

I need 9 more posts before I can download the manual lol

Gazzman
7th April 2013, 01:22 PM
When I changed the atf I only got 4 lts out and refilled with the same amount and checked with my recently purchased dip stick (rip off that is) and showed full just drained it again (to remove the pan ) and just on 4 lts
I thought they held more than that ? maybe my dip stick is telling lies genuine nissan one for my model well so they told me ?

NP99
7th April 2013, 01:25 PM
There is more fluid in the torque converter i think, auto's im not real clued up on!

Gazzman
7th April 2013, 02:02 PM
Stupid Nissan or who ever made these auto's. being a fitter by trade I would have thought you would put the drain plug at the lowest point but NOT to my surprise due to the plug not being at the lowest point there's probably another litre that remains in the pan.

Good news and bad good news filter was clean as a whistle and no nasties (filings grit nothing in the pan) bad news still does not explain my problem ?

A first for me I have dropped the pan on dozens of auto's first time I seen wires inside lol
oh well I'll go get another 5 litres of atf (same Valvoline stuff ) and refill and see what happens

Gaz

rottodiver
7th April 2013, 02:31 PM
Gazzman, a lot of autos don't even have drain plugs, you have to loosen the bolts to drain so nissan is better than most!!!
Scotty

WYLD333
7th April 2013, 03:11 PM
U obviously haven't changer ur filter so do that aswel why you have the pan off, if I was you mate I wouldn't use anything other than the genuine Nissan matic gear oil the autos in these things dnt like anything else and can cause a lot of damage.

WYLD333
7th April 2013, 03:13 PM
Oh and the rest of the oil will b in the torque converter, a few litres so you would prob wana do a flush anyway. Or atleast dump the oil again.

Gazzman
7th April 2013, 03:14 PM
Yeah I know scotty we used to drill the pan and braze a unf nut to it put a short bolt in with a fybro washer problem solved ;)

Gazzman
7th April 2013, 03:18 PM
Oh and the rest of the oil will b in the torque converter, a few litres so you would prob wana do a flush anyway. Or atleast dump the oil again.

This will be the 2nd change in 2 weeks unfortunately the valvoline synthetic is all I have on hand I read around and a lot of ppl recommend synthetic ?????

WYLD333
7th April 2013, 05:06 PM
I'd b waiting until I got the genuine oil mate but that's ur call, from reading ur post I dnt think that a oil change is going to help ur cause anyway sounds like a rebuild job 2 me. Once a box starts slipping its usually stuffed

WYLD333
7th April 2013, 05:07 PM
What colour was the oil when u drained it?

WYLD333
7th April 2013, 05:09 PM
Is it slipping or just stuck in gear?

Gazzman
7th April 2013, 05:14 PM
The fluid had a brownish tinge to it but smelt burnt I finished the change warmed it up checked levels again added some more went for a test run and seem's ok now fingers crossed

Thanks to every one for your input
much appreciated
Gaz

WYLD333
7th April 2013, 05:54 PM
That's not good if its been hot, hope the oil change has fixed it 4 u

Gazzman
7th April 2013, 06:03 PM
Got a new trans cooler here going to fit that tomorrow .