PDA

View Full Version : weird crack noise from under my gq.

BLKWDW
6th April 2013, 11:56 AM
After our easter trip i have noticed a cracking noise from under the car. It happens worst when driving along and i back of you hear a crack. if i slowly take my foot of the pedal or let clutch in it doesnt do it only if i immediately lift my foot of the accelerator. I also found that whilst rolling backwards and jumping on and of the brakes everytime you let the brake of it would make the noise. i'm yet to have a real good look but from what me and my dad could determine on the trip it was coming from the rear of the car.

Any thoughts on the problem my 1st was gearbox but the noise is further back from that so maybe the diff backlash or something?

threedogs
6th April 2013, 12:44 PM
Its not a rock caught between metal disc guard and rotor its self

Not sure that would make this cracking noise you mention

happygu
6th April 2013, 12:48 PM
Any idea if it sounds like mechanical or body noise?

I had a cracking sound in my GQ and it was a broken weld and the metal had fatigue cracked (Mine was up the front though)

Mic

BLKWDW
6th April 2013, 01:04 PM
It sounds mechanical. I checked the tailshaft for any free play thinking it might be it but seems ok.

BigRAWesty
6th April 2013, 01:07 PM
Check all your bushes in the rear. Are you running rubber or neoprene bushes?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

happygu
6th April 2013, 01:12 PM
Check your enine mounts too...4.2's have a habit of breaking them, and the sound could be transferring down the driveline.

BLKWDW
6th April 2013, 01:13 PM
Rubber bushes. Well i think the only bushes that are not old are the ones in the new extended lower control arm i got from ss.

BLKWDW
6th April 2013, 01:14 PM
Check your enine mounts too...4.2's have a habit of breaking them, and the sound could be transferring down the driveline.

But would that make enough movement whilst slowly rolling backwards on and off the brakes.

threedogs
6th April 2013, 03:30 PM
Transferring weight. Might be a 2 person job ,one out side pin pointing area of noise then go from there
Its your term cracking thats throwing me

Parksy
6th April 2013, 03:33 PM
Is the body sitting on extended mounts? Might be worth checking each body mount for cracking.

happygu
6th April 2013, 04:03 PM
Is the body sitting on extended mounts? Might be worth checking each body mount for cracking.

Parksy could be on the money

BLKWDW
6th April 2013, 04:05 PM
Transferring weight. Might be a 2 person job ,one out side pin pointing area of noise then go from there
Its your term cracking thats throwing me

We tried with 3 ppl and couldnt really pin point it except for it coming from the rear. its loudest wen you drive then back of the pedal straight away.

It has no body lift

Parksy
6th April 2013, 04:14 PM
Still worth checking though. It's more common when sitting on extended mounts.

happygu
6th April 2013, 08:29 PM
You could see if it is the rear diff by putting it in 4wd and removing the rear tailshaft drive around and see if the truck makes the same noise

BLKWDW
6th April 2013, 08:41 PM
Still worth checking though. It's more common when sitting on extended mounts.

You could see if it is the rear diff by putting it in 4wd and removing the rear tailshaft drive around and see if the truck makes the same noise

I'll check both of these once my battery charges up as its dead and cant move the car.

BLKWDW
7th April 2013, 06:54 PM
Went for a drive and the noise is gone. All by itself. But now i have another concern. The same noise or similar but when i accelerate. If i quickly push the pedal down i get a clunk noise from under car hmm hope its not an expensive problem.

93patrol
7th April 2013, 07:34 PM
Probably tailshaft backlash. Ie too much movement in the tailshaft to the diff or pinion gear to the crown gear in the diff

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

BLKWDW
7th April 2013, 07:49 PM
might pull the tailshaft of and see if the bolt is loose one the diff

Dominator
7th April 2013, 07:55 PM
Also check your rear suspension bushes. If one of them is worn it could cause some movement.

Parksy
7th April 2013, 08:04 PM
Park the car on a level surface and chock the wheels. Release the handbrake and try to turn the tail shaft. Might be able to replicate the noise. Also a good opportunity to check the u joints.