PDA

View Full Version : need urgent help with radiator problem - auto transmission hoses

soulburner2000
5th April 2013, 06:09 PM
Hi, just reinstalling my radiator after I removed it and gave everything a thorough flush and clean. It's out of a 1990 GQ dual fuel auto.

Have reconnected the main coolant hoses, but can't remember if the hoses for the transmission go to the top or bottom.

It's so basic a mistake to make and I feel ridiculous, but first time taking it out. Gregory's manual as usual offers no help with this. Can't find any pics or diagrams online either. Was hoping to complete this before darkness descended, but not looking good. Don't know how to activate/accept PM/IM's on this site, have never tried to send and haven't received one before. If someone could provide a quick response I'll keep running inside to check.

Thanks.

soulburner2000
5th April 2013, 06:58 PM
No? No one? Damn, I thought this would be one of the easier problems for a forum member to solve. I'll keep looking for an answer elsewhere

Parksy
5th April 2013, 07:31 PM
Without owning an auto, I'd say that the pressure line would go to the top hose of the radiator and the return line is the bottom one. Unless they are marked, the only way of finding out which one is which is to start the car with them disconnected. But this will get messy as you could imagine.

threedogs
5th April 2013, 07:49 PM
Most radiators have a trans cooler tank in the bottom

soulburner2000
5th April 2013, 08:04 PM
This diagram (if it loaded) is what I've got, but the top hose has got me stumped. It is so long, does it get tucked away somewhere? I can't recall where it was positioned before I took it off. Also, the rubber is so soft when I try to tighten the clamp it doesn't seem to be made for that purpose.

I dunno, I'm getting sick of this vehicle. I was falling in love with it, but lately feel like taking it out back and shooting it.

soulburner2000
5th April 2013, 08:09 PM
Most radiators have a trans cooler tank in the bottom

think mine's on the side. I give up

soulburner2000
5th April 2013, 09:07 PM
Dumb question boss - is the hose you're talking about on the front passenger side?? Just want to be sure you haven't accidentally disconnected the purge line from the petrol tank (8mm pipe - very flexible, pretty long) from the purge cannister in the very front passenger side (black cylinder behind pass beget headlight).

Just making sure ... I'll go have a look at mine and take some photos.

Scotty (Bigrig)

purge tank was not touched - not in use anyway. Fuel pump is stuffed I think, only running on gas. And yes, I know that's not good and I plan on Taking it to the gas guy ASAP once I sort this out.

The pic of the hose ends which are not plugged have got me beat. I'm pretty sure they had no fluid running from them, that's bwhy they're not plugged. The plugged hose runs to an oil cooler (I think) on the other side of the radiator.

The pic with the single hose - it connects to one of the solid lines to the trans. According to the diagram I posted from the TB42 service manual, this should go to the lower connection - yet it seems to be of a length, and shape and 'memory' seems to suggest the upper.

Frustrated, losing patience. Quite maddening.

taslucas
5th April 2013, 09:15 PM
i can also look at mine in the morning light mate.............

soulburner2000
5th April 2013, 09:20 PM
yeah, I've got no idea. I'm done with 4wd's. Think I'm gonna fix and offload it.

Not a bad rig, but I don't go offroad (bought it to transport son's trail bike and for the LPG), and the replacement parts are excessive to what I can afford.

taslucas
5th April 2013, 09:29 PM
my suggestion is to get it going again and head out into the great offroad! Go hit some awesome tracks and youll be hooked.

HERES A CALL OUT TO ALL SUNSHINE COAST MEMBERS: TAKE SOULBURNER OUT FOR A GOOD DAY OF 4WDING

NP99
5th April 2013, 09:34 PM
yeah, I've got no idea. I'm done with 4wd's. Think I'm gonna fix and offload it.

Not a bad rig, but I don't go offroad (bought it to transport son's trail bike and for the LPG), and the replacement parts are excessive to what I can afford.

They are like a light truck and spares priced accordingly. Mate, rest on it and sunrise will bring the answers.

soulburner2000
5th April 2013, 09:41 PM
More than welcome to join us on the next outing (or at my joint on the 20th to meet a bunch of us) ... we'll have you loving that truck again mate!!!

Scotty (Bigrig)

Thanks for the offer. I'd be worried something would break...

soulburner2000
5th April 2013, 10:06 PM
Don't stress old mate - if you haven't done it (or often) before, it's easy to get befuddled - not the trucks fault! lol

Righto - hope I'm with you as the photos aren't great, but if that long one you're talking about is around 15mm it runs along side the reservoir overflow line (about 10mm) that connects to the valve on the very right of the radiator fill stem as you look at it from the front of the car (facing the rear of the car). That 15mm line clips into the top of the shroud and goes past the filler neck and around to the oil cooler (the one I have my finger on in the second photo below). The third line is the other short hose going from the back of the filler neck (in the photo) to the thermostat housing.

On the other side there is two smaller hoses (shorter) that go below the air con line on mine and connect to the two hard lines that are there. I couldn't trace them in the dark, but if they're the ones you're talking about, then I can suss them in the morning when I get to the airport in the daylight (or Lucas can as he offered to save me some time).

Not sure if I've helped mate, but don't get too flustered - daylight will reveal all ... have a beer and don't lose sleep!

Scotty (Bigrig)

Thanks for that, looks like you went to a fair bit of trouble for me. The only hoses I'm confused about are the one's to do with the transmission. 2 on the left hand side of the radiator, 2 on the right. I posted a diagram from the service manual in an earlier post, here it is again with arrows to illustrate where I'm having problems. My setup should be the same and it should be case closed - but it must have been modified or eff'ed with in some way.

Oh, and now I've discovered a snapped wire on the large nut that screws into the bottom of the radiator - please tell me this is something to do with the aircon or something else I don't need? Aircon has never worked since I bought vehicle so don't care if it is.

soulburner2000
5th April 2013, 10:08 PM
More than welcome to join us on the next outing (or at my joint on the 20th to meet a bunch of us) ... we'll have you loving that truck again mate!!!

Scotty (Bigrig)

it'll probably still be sitting on stands in my garage at this rate!

soulburner2000
5th April 2013, 10:29 PM
They are like a light truck and spares priced accordingly. Mate, rest on it and sunrise will bring the answers.

I wasn't suggesting the prices for spare parts were over-inflated.

When I bought the vehicle I was in a position where I didn't need to worry about being able to afford anything that needed attention. I left it stored at a relative's place and didn't use it for a few years - but I kept it registered and the relative drove it occasionally.

Ironically, now that I'm no longer in a position to be able to afford unexpected surprises, the only vehicle I have use of now is the GQ - which is why I've started on all this preventative maintenance.

My original quote was 'excessive to what I can afford' - I probably could've worded things better.

NP99
5th April 2013, 10:33 PM
I wasn't suggesting the prices for spare parts were over-inflated.

When I bought the vehicle I was in a position where I didn't need to worry about being able to afford anything that needed attention. I left it stored at a relative's place and didn't use it for a few years - but I kept it registered and the relative drove it occasionally.

Ironically, now that I'm no longer in a position to be able to afford unexpected surprises, the only vehicle I have use of now is the GQ - which is why I've started on all this preventative maintenance.

My original quote was 'excessive to what I can afford' - I probably could've worded things better.

No worries mate, i probably could have worded my reply better too. (but they are bloody dear):)

soulburner2000
5th April 2013, 10:46 PM
Thanks people for all your help/replies/suggestions. I need this thing on the road (sick of catching buses, and not being able to take dog to the dog park - means I have to walk her while my son's away, and I'm lazy). I'm going to connect everything as shown in the service manual diagram. The worst that can happen is I lose $40+ of coolant.

I have transmission oil and a filter kit standing by (was gonna try and get done tonight as well) if I spring a leak, so should be ok.

Will let you know...

soulburner2000
6th April 2013, 06:27 AM
Finally at 4:20 this morning (favourite time for some) I had everything back together and the car on the road. Temp gauge still sat on half or just over but I can live with that for now. One curious thing though - the high beam light on the dash came on when I was on low beam and when I did turn on high beam, the lights cut out totally. I drove down the highway a bit and stopped at an all night place and check wiring and fuses, all looked ok. Got back on the highway and problem went away on it's own. Near my place I stopped at a 24 hour servo, and when I started up it was back! Hopefully just spilt coolant somewhere causing it.

Oh and my transmission hoses to the radiator ARE a different setup from what's in the service manual. I have no idea why, but it p**ses me off having to waste so much time figuring it out. Thanks to everyone for their input on this, I am extremely grateful for any and all advice given...

Bloodyaussie
6th April 2013, 06:32 AM
The joys of happy motoring ???

Hope she all sorted mate........cant have you walking to a dog park you might get sore little feet!!!!

NP99
6th April 2013, 07:35 AM
Finally at 4:20 this morning (favourite time for some) I had everything back together and the car on the road. Temp gauge still sat on half or just over but I can live with that for now. One curious thing though - the high beam light on the dash came on when I was on low beam and when I did turn on high beam, the lights cut out totally. I drove down the highway a bit and stopped at an all night place and check wiring and fuses, all looked ok. Got back on the highway and problem went away on it's own. Near my place I stopped at a 24 hour servo, and when I started up it was back! Hopefully just spilt coolant somewhere causing it.

Oh and my transmission hoses to the radiator ARE a different setup from what's in the service manual. I have no idea why, but it p**ses me off having to waste so much time figuring it out. Thanks to everyone for their input on this, I am extremely grateful for any and all advice given...

On low beam, the dash high beam light will come on when one of the headlights is not working properly. Just wiggle the connectors and in your case it sounds like it was loose. Check the connectors for tightness.

Yendor
6th April 2013, 08:31 AM
If both high beam lights stopped and starting working at the same time it will more then likely be an earthing problem.

There is an earth point just behind the passenger side headlight. It's a large black wire that is bolted onto the inner guard. Make sure this is still connected and has a good clean connection.

Also check the black earth wire is connected to the alternator housing and the main body earth that connects to the driver side inner guard (just below battery) is also connected and has a good clean connection.

soulburner2000
6th April 2013, 05:03 PM
If both high beam lights stopped and starting working at the same time it will more then likely be an earthing problem.

There is an earth point just behind the passenger side headlight. It's a large black wire that is bolted onto the inner guard. Make sure this is still connected and has a good clean connection.

Also check the black earth wire is connected to the alternator housing and the main body earth that connects to the driver side inner guard (just below battery) is also connected and has a good clean connection.

Awesome, got it. Thanks for that. Took the washer bottle out coz one of the pumps outer cases had rusted away to nearly nothing - but it was still working! Had rusted a hole through the metal as well, but that's the place to get it if you're gonna get it - nice and easy to patch, top or bottom. Just gonna get a new bottle and 2 pumps and keep the others for spares.

And this is nothing, but I noticed my tacho needle has started twitching around now - hadn't done that before. It's no biggie, just a bit of a flicker now and then. Just thought I'd add that , no solution required (yet).

NP99
6th April 2013, 06:49 PM
Sounds good mate, the more problems you solve the less a rig will annoy you :)

Parksy
6th April 2013, 07:10 PM
When I first got my patrol, I thought, wtf have I done? Going from a nice xr8 falcon to the patrol was abit of a shock. But I've put alot of time into the patrol and now it's my favourite car. Probably the most favourite I've owned so far. It will grow on you. Just have faith. You will learn the ins and out of your car.

soulburner2000
6th April 2013, 09:40 PM
Here's a couple of pics I didn't get around to posting.

First in of that screw-in sensor/plug (?) which I mention in an earlier post. Has 2 wires running off it and I must have snapped one at some point. Don't let the coolant worry you - I had just topped off the radiator.

2nd is self explanatory. Looks worse in the pic than it actually is.....

EDIT: pics loaded the opposite on the page to how I uploaded them ?.?.?.

soulburner2000
6th April 2013, 09:52 PM
I should maybe start a new thread for this as well, but I have another question.

While I was under the vehicle last night I noticed a small metallic box(?) under the wheel arch on the passenger's side. Mine was cut/disconnected and I was curious about what it is for. Can vaguely remember reading a post somewhere that mentioned this, but can't recall the answer.......

NP99
6th April 2013, 10:12 PM
I should maybe start a new thread for this as well, but I have another question.

While I was under the vehicle last night I noticed a small metallic box(?) under the wheel arch on the passenger's side. Mine was cut/disconnected and I was curious about what it is for. Can vaguely remember reading a post somewhere that mentioned this, but can't recall the answer.......

Flight recorder? Dont know mate, someone here will!

Yendor
6th April 2013, 10:33 PM
Here's a couple of pics I didn't get around to posting.

First in of that screw-in sensor/plug (?) which I mention in an earlier post. Has 2 wires running off it and I must have snapped one at some point. Don't let the coolant worry you - I had just topped off the radiator.

2nd is self explanatory. Looks worse in the pic than it actually is.....

EDIT: pics loaded the opposite on the page to how I uploaded them ?.?.?.If that sensor is in the radiator it will be for the A/C.

soulburner2000
7th April 2013, 04:48 PM
If that sensor is in the radiator it will be for the A/C.

That what I thought, thanks. Not needed...