PDA

View Full Version : indicators blowing fuses

june
4th April 2013, 04:21 PM
coming home from town, indicators ceased working. when I got home I replaced the blown fuse, to have it blow again, replaced it this time with a bigger fuse ( I know this is a no! no!, but, just trying to fault find) with the bigger fuse in, it got indicators working, put back the standard fuse (10amp) and discovered that it only blows when I put the left indicator on, several fuses later I decided to try the Hazards, which blew the fuse under the bonnet, so as a quick fix I have got a 15 amp fuse to run indicators, but the hazards are not working as they keep blowing fuses. I thought it maybe the flasher unit ? Does anyone have any ideas ? or, is there a way of testing the flasher unit ? I do have basic knowledge of 12 volt electrics.

Yendor
4th April 2013, 04:51 PM
You have a short in the wiring somewhere. Most common place is the trailer plug.

Have a look at the wire harness that runs to the trailer plug for any damage. If it looks ok check the wiring in the back of the trailer plug, make sure no wires have pulled out especially the yellow wire.

The problem won't be with the flasher unit, but you can blow it up if you keep using bigger fuses with a short.

If the trailer plug and wiring are ok check the LHS light in the bull bar, if one is fitted.

Also check the wire harness that runs to the lights in the bumper on the LHS, make sure the harness is not sitting on top of the exhaust pipe.

june
4th April 2013, 05:59 PM
one thing that I left out seeing you mentioned trailer plug is we were towing and have a electric problem with brake controller. the light on the brake unit stops working thus no brakes, so doing the old bush fix I gave it a couple of hits and all is good. have tried pulling it apart but is a sealed unit. [when you pull on one of the wires light comes on and off]. I have checked trailer pin and all is good. if it were a left hand light to test could I un plug lights to test. eg undo lights put another fuse in and see what happens.just strange that I have indicators working[with bigger fuse in but as soon as you turn hazards on it blows hazards fuse.

june
4th April 2013, 06:08 PM
the other thing I forgot to say is I disconnected the brake unit and put another fuse in to test and still blowing. so has brake controller caused a problem.

Yendor
4th April 2013, 06:08 PM
The indicators aren't link to the electric brake controller except at the trailer plug.

When you use the indicators is there one light that doesn't light up? or maybe is dull compared to the rest?

You can try disconnecting lights, this will work if the short is in the light.

When you use the hazard lights the number of bulbs is doubled so the amount of current also increases. This is why the hazard fuse is blowing.

Yendor
4th April 2013, 06:10 PM
the other thing I forgot to say is I disconnected the brake unit and put another fuse in to test and still blowing. so has brake controller caused a problem.

No, this problem has nothing to do with the brake controller.

threedogs
4th April 2013, 06:28 PM
Had the same problem as in blowing the indicator fuse whilst towing fixed as per Yendors statement and replaced the fuse with a bigger one.
Very common on GU's they tell me, never had a problem since.

june
4th April 2013, 06:30 PM
all lights are as bright as. all connections to indicators look fine including bull bar. in between showers here I will have a closer look at all wires and joints to lights. cops are going crazy here so just don't want a fine, or worse a truck on fire!

june
4th April 2013, 06:50 PM
all lights are as bright as. when it stops raining I will check all connections to lights. including bull bar. just strange since putting bigger fuse in indicators work fine and hazards are blowing under bonnet fuse.

happygu
4th April 2013, 09:50 PM
June,

How many indicator lights do you have connected on each side?

For example I have five, the standard front, side and rear, bullbar and rear body lights - and if I count the trailer if I plug that in, the count keeps going up and the load associated with it.

If you have lots of lights, you will need to upgrade the fuse size to cope or you need to use some low current draw LED's.
You definitely have to upgrade the Hazards Fuse to the next common size up, as it will blow if you add too many extra lights....I have had to do this with all my GU's...

Mic

Yendor
4th April 2013, 11:08 PM
all lights are as bright as. when it stops raining I will check all connections to lights. including bull bar. just strange since putting bigger fuse in indicators work fine and hazards are blowing under bonnet fuse.

You shouldn't have to put a bigger fuse in the indicators.

What size fuse are you using?

happygu
5th April 2013, 12:07 AM
As Yendor says, I have never had to put a bigger fuse in for the indicators themselves....only the Hazards...

june
5th April 2013, 08:05 AM
i have 4 per side. tried a bigger fuse for hazards and still blows. have double the size fuse in for indicators which runs them fine. I have never had any problems with lights ever. today I am going to do what vendor recommended and go through every light and check that trailer pin again. keep all posted.

june
5th April 2013, 08:09 AM
the standard fuse for indicators is 7.5 amp [I have 15 to get me out of trouble] and standard for hazards is 10 amp and have tried 15 and still blows hazards.

Parksy
5th April 2013, 11:38 AM
Have you pulled up the carpet to check the wires running along the floor?

june
5th April 2013, 01:00 PM
well, finally got it sorted. went through the left hand side lights and pinned it down to the light in the arb bull bar. disconnected light and put standard fuses in and tested all other indicators and all were fine. checked the culprit light for broken wires or dodgy connector which was all good. bulb tested good as well. ended up putting it all back together and bingo. the only thing I can put it down to may-be bulb was not in right and was shorting out. yendor was right on the money with trouble shooting and thanks to others for your input.

Frank van dijk
13th April 2013, 06:19 PM
Crap I had the same problem for ages glad you got it sorted

june
14th April 2013, 08:57 AM
yep just goes to show sometimes the least thing you would suspect can be the problem.