PDA

View Full Version : Does This Sound Right?...

andrewh
3rd April 2013, 10:54 PM
Hi Fellas

I have had a 2007 GU 3.0 TD for a couple of months now and it goes great, but seems to really suck the juice when towing.

I've tested it a few times and around town towing about a tonne I am getting 20l/100km - which seems pretty ordinary!

The car has regular tyres, no lift, does have a roobar, tracklander rack and foxwing awning, but no other 'weight related' mods.

It drives well and gets about 13/100 when on a long run with no trailer. The trailer just seems to knock the stuffing out of it - and I tow one every day...

So - does it sound normal?
Is there much that can be done to get those numbers looking a bit prettier?

taslucas
4th April 2013, 05:55 AM
20lt per 100 ks does sound a little high.
There is a thread on here somewhere where people have stated their fuel consumption figures. It's called "fuel consumption" or "economy" or something similar. Have a search it should be easy to find.

Maybe the maf needs a clean?

FanTapstic!

Maxhead
4th April 2013, 06:05 AM
20l/100 is a bit high for towing one T. Just for comparison I use on average 19l/100 towing 2.7T.
On the other hand 13l/100 around town is pretty good.
Is it an auto?
If it is maybe install torque covertor lock mod or try driving with overdrive off???

.........on the move

threedogs
4th April 2013, 07:33 AM
Something not right I tow a light single cab camper I've made and get 15/100 towing and 13ish around town
as Lucas has suggested clean the maf sensor with Maf cleaner spray from Jaycar or Super cheap, make sure its dry before re-installing.
BTW are you towing in overdrive??? or the lower gearing, or better still what are your revs at 100 kph

andrewh
4th April 2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks fellas

Is the MAF sensor easy to clean? Don't want to screw something else up!

Towing with I overdrive off for the most part - it feels 'stronger', but I guess it could be thirstier

Parksy
4th April 2013, 08:49 PM
Easy as, unplug it, remove the screws holding it down and give it a squirt. Don't need to touch the sensor, the cleaner is very effective. The instructions on the can are abit more difficult, if I remember correctly, it said something about cleaning it while the engine was running. But each to their own. Haven't had dramas with this method.

happygu
4th April 2013, 09:36 PM
I would give cleaning the MAF a go, but be careful, as I have been looking to grab a spare to take with me to the Simpson, and the MAF's for the CommonRail are a lot more expensive than the earlier 3Litre Di's.....

june
10th April 2013, 01:42 PM
your best gear ratio for towing is 1.1 for an auto this is 3rd gear. to get better performance put a bigger exhaust on and a snorkel.

kevin07
10th April 2013, 10:53 PM
Hi Fellas

I have had a 2007 GU 3.0 TD for a couple of months now and it goes great, but seems to really suck the juice when towing.

I've tested it a few times and around town towing about a tonne I am getting 20l/100km - which seems pretty ordinary!

The car has regular tyres, no lift, does have a roobar, tracklander rack and foxwing awning, but no other 'weight related' mods.

It drives well and gets about 13/100 when on a long run with no trailer. The trailer just seems to knock the stuffing out of it - and I tow one every day...

So - does it sound normal?
Is there much that can be done to get those numbers looking a bit prettier?

the 20 towing sounds about the same as mine wish icould get 13s though