PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 wiring altanator problems

dawzo
3rd April 2013, 09:28 PM
Gday guys.

I have a 03 with the ZD30DI

The motor has recently been rebuilt, theres lots off loose ends here and there, just trying to get on top of them

Ive had dramas in the past with the battery going flat after a few days, But its always seemed to be charging. anyways, motors in, happened again,

**Battery with motor off 12.5V
**battery with motor runnin 11.7

So having a look at the altanator and the two wires leading into the back of it are broken. there is a wiring loom lying along the LHS of the head with two broken wires next to the altenator and another two plugs a bit furthur down with nothing to plug into??
To complicate it a bit more,
The two wires leaving the altanator are a defferent colour to the two wires lying next to it, and there is no where for these other two plugs.

Its left me wondering if the wires are meant to be plugged into somewhere else, Perhaps he has just seen the broken wires and just assumed thats where they go, surely they cant be ment to change colour 1cm away from the plug.

The wiring loom he has running around the LHS above the heater hose inlet/outlet to the altanator, than the two plugs are just in mid air before the air box ( sensors there are already plugged in )
This wiring loom seems to begin on the RHS at the front somewhere, I can see its attatched to a sensor on the rear Right hand side of the block.
Im wondering if this wiring is ment to go there or down into the Auto somewhere??
and if so, Where have the wires for the altanator gone?
Wiring colours as follows.

Wires leaving altanator yellow and red - green and white
broken Wires next to altanator Blue and gray
wiring on first plug after broken wires Black and Yellow and black
wiring on last plug tan Black

Any help would be very much appreciated, I have the HAYNES manual but cant seem to find what im looking for. Cant drive the car to anyone as it currently unrego'd

Thanks Matt

dawzo
3rd April 2013, 09:39 PM
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s422/dawzo/wiringloomloom_zps2477c6fd.jpg

As you see the wiring, it seems to dissapear on the drivers side at the front somewhere, it than attatches to a sensor on the rhs at the back of the block.
From there its running around to the altanator??

dawzo
3rd April 2013, 09:57 PM
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s422/dawzo/wiringloom_zps11c5418d.jpg

As you can see these are the problem plugs, And the two broken wires at the top

The way he has it that blue and brown wire would be connected to white and green and yellow and red wires

Just really want to know where these wires are ment to go and where the ones to the antanator have gone!

Thanks heaps, Much appreciated.

Yendor
3rd April 2013, 10:57 PM
The wires in the plug at the alternator should be a Yellow with a Red trace and a Yellow with a Black trace.

The Yellow with a Red trace is the battery sense, it should have battery power all the time. It is protected by a charge fuse, in the fuse box beside the battery.

The Yellow with a Black trace is for the battery/alternator warning light in the dash.

You should find these wires in the same harness that connects to the A/C compressor

I'm having some trouble matching up the other harness colours but I think they do go down to the auto.

I think the Yellow with a Black trace and Black wire connects to the 4WD indicator switch in the auto and possible the

Tan (Brown?) and Black wire connects to the transfer neutral switch in the auto.

I'm still working on the broken Blue and Grey.

See if these other two reach down to the auto, hopefully then the broken wires will line up with something.

Yendor
3rd April 2013, 11:11 PM
Ok, I think the light Blue and the Grey if for the vehicle speed sensor, also at the auto.

dawzo
4th April 2013, 05:42 AM
G'day Yendor

My mate looked along the auto ect yesterday and couldn't see anything, but we had no idear where the plugs went.
After your advice I've just fed the wiring down there, and what do you know it all lines up underneath, there's even the plug still in there for the broken wires.
Ill pull the plug out and solder some new wires in ect.
I can't see any wires from the ac loom, ill unplug it tonight and have a good look at it.

Thanks heaps for your help! Very much appreciated.
Regards Matt

Yendor
4th April 2013, 02:16 PM
No worries Matt,

With the alternator wiring have you found the large power wire (white wire) and the two large earth wires (black wires)?

The smaller alternator wires should come out of the harness at the same place as the two black earth wires, the harness then runs down to the A/C compressor and I think the LHS oil pressure sender.

Cheers Rodney.

dawzo
5th April 2013, 11:42 AM
Sorry I've been slow replying, working big hours haven't had a chance to get near the patrol
I had a good dig around that front wiring loom and have discovered about 0.5mms of the wire I've been looking for poking out if the conduit

I should have a bit off time on Monday, ill open that conduit up, solder my new plug into it than re conduit and tape it all.

The wire is exactly where you said it would be, same wiring loom as ac and oil pressure, I also noticed the earth coming out of this loom has not been connected so I will sort that out aswell.

Would them two wires be enough to stop the altanator charging?

Yendor
6th April 2013, 09:03 AM
Yes, those two wires need to be connected for the alternator to start charging.

It's very important that the wires are connected in the plug in their correct positions.

You can buy a replacement plug that come with about 3 inches of wire already connected from Ashdown Ingrams part number HXK-24

http://www.indotek-bpn.com/download/Alternator_Associated_Parts.pdf