PDA

View Full Version : Remember the bad old days of repair!!!

NP99
2nd April 2013, 10:29 AM
We use to adopt some dodgy repair and maintenance way back in once upon a time land :)

I rememmber:

- using flat head nails in place of split pins
- cigarette silver paper over blown fuses
- elec tape to connect wires
- pouring petrol down the carby throat

It was silly and dangerous, but money was probably the limiting factor back then. Anyone else make temporary repairs that never turned permanant?

Maxhead
2nd April 2013, 10:43 AM
O
We use to adopt some dodgy repair and maintenance way back in once upon a time land :)

I rememmber:

- using flat head nails in place of split pins
- cigarette silver paper over blown fuses
- elec tape to connect wires
- pouring petrol down the carby throat

It was silly and dangerous, but money was probably the limiting factor back then. Anyone else make temporary repairs that never turned permanant?

I'm not sure its the old days mate.

Today If I was in a situation of despair and had no option then I would adopt these practices in a flash. They would get you out of trouble if needed.

On the other hand I am sure lots still use some of these daily as there is a lot of dodgy people around.:eek:

Bloodyaussie
2nd April 2013, 11:01 AM
Bush mechanics mate, do what you have to to get your ass home....

NP99
2nd April 2013, 11:15 AM
Bush mechanics mate, do what you have to to get your ass home....

Agree......but when you get home, fix it. I know a few people that use these techniques as there home base maintenance methods!

fracster
3rd April 2013, 09:02 AM
Araldite on tin foil will temp fix a cracked engine block or similar, used that in a previous life to get me out of the poo.

Alitis007
3rd April 2013, 10:03 AM
I used bubble gum and bark to block a radiator to get a mate home after he rear ended his EB into an old subaru wagon. Worked a treat but it took us 4hrs to do a 30 min drive lol

NP99
3rd April 2013, 12:15 PM
I used a stick and hanky once when I forget the plug for my tinnie on the Murray.

jack
3rd April 2013, 12:40 PM
My XP Falcon farm ute had the rear spring attached with fencing wire, worked a treat for months. (wasn't driven on farm roads - well not much anyway).
Fencing wire has many uses.

TPC
3rd April 2013, 12:42 PM
Had a mate who fixed a hole in his fuel tank with soap.
He never fixed it properly and sold the car couple of years later with the soap still blocking the hole.

Alitis007
3rd April 2013, 12:47 PM
One of my customers was a tool maker and on his pursuit 170 xp falcon ( must be a ford thing lol ) he re connected his handbrake cable with some pipe that he threaded 4 grub screws into, also the rear leaf spring had snapped so he made a clamp to connect the two pieces together! He made a locking device aswell for the bonnet after his battery got pinched haha i used to hate opening the bloody thing lol

Alitis007
3rd April 2013, 12:49 PM
I also used stockings to replace my fan belt one night haha the lady that lent them to me thought i was a loon!! Lmao

taslucas
3rd April 2013, 01:25 PM
I also used stockings to replace my fan belt one night haha the lady that lent them to me thought i was a loon!! Lmao

Any excuse to get clothes off hey!?

FanTapstic!

Alitis007
3rd April 2013, 01:55 PM
Any excuse to get clothes off hey!?

FanTapstic!

I would like to say yeh spot on BUT it was a random door knock in the middle of the night with my mrs in the car and was the only house in the street with the lights on lol i rekon she thought i was going to rob her or something lmao!!

Dougie80
9th April 2013, 03:12 AM
what about the old pepper in the radiator when skippy decides to have a look at what car ya driving (VB commodore back then)

jman69
1st June 2013, 06:28 PM
One night, about two am. i dropped my mate off at is mums. Just then my fan belt gave up the ghost so we borrowed a pair of her panty hose. Tied them up nice and tight , cut off the loose ends and drove on home. no worries at all. After a few days put on a real belt . Panty hose looked like they could have gone on for ages.

threedogs
1st June 2013, 06:54 PM
There was a story from a few years back about a Suzuki up cape York way that shite a piston, the guys apparently faishioned a redgum one, The little suzi made it back to civilization,
as the redgum had carbonized they left it in.

Yeah George You borrowed pantyhose, FYI a guy in pentridge was the inventer of pantyhose from what I've been told.
I worked for Holeproof for many years as sewing machine mechanic.

Alitis007
1st June 2013, 09:35 PM
There was a story from a few years back about a Suzuki up cape York way that shite a piston, the guys apparently faishioned a redgum one, The little suzi made it back to civilization,
as the redgum had carbonized they left it in.

Yeah George You borrowed pantyhose, FYI a guy in pentridge was the inventer of pantyhose from what I've been told.
I worked for Holeproof for many years as sewing machine mechanic.

You can ask my gf John, she was with me lol

mudnut
2nd June 2013, 03:10 PM
I was on my way home after camping in the Lower Glenelg National Park. The Old Trol fully loaded and towing the camper trailer with a tinny on top. Swerved to miss a roo and the front panhard bar popped off the axle mount. While we were looking for the nut and washer, a bloke pulled up and took our details to relay to the Racv. We found the cupped washer but the nut was history. I got sick of waiting, so I took the top panhard nut off, and used it for the bottom. I then wrapped the top bolt in wire and tape. Got us home. I rang the racv and told them we had made it. We must have just left as he got there, because the job had been closed for 50 minutes.

macca
2nd June 2013, 03:20 PM
Was sent this for a trailer repair idea, story was they were on the Tanami Track when a stub axle broke.
They tied a tree as in the photo. It wore out of course and needed a second that got them near enough to The Alice to get a mobile boilermaker to weld a new stub on where they had stopped.
Great bush engineering, it even moved with the suspension!

paulyg
2nd June 2013, 07:14 PM
I remember using a coke can split length wise and wrapped around a split radiator hose with some tape, not perfect but got us home.
Hey 3 dogs I was a sewing machine mechanic for Sleeping Beauty many years ago.

macca
2nd June 2013, 09:39 PM
Reckon TD will know all about these, still have my clamp from my 1st car. Don't have any patches though.