PDA

View Full Version : GQ RD28 starts then stalls... Help?

jimmyjam
31st March 2013, 08:42 PM
G'day all,
I've recently had the glow plugs replaced and even a manual switch for the glow plugs due to a suspected faulty relay.
It starts fine, and with the switch will run fine for a bit.
I live out of town and our front gate is at the bottom of a big hill. Sometimes in the mornings as I go to head out onto the road, the engine does its best to die.
Today it was idling low (about 650-700rpm) so I reved it a little to try to fix the idle. As I did it would falter badly and then it ran down and stopped despite my best efforts of manual glow plugs and foot to the floor.
I then re primed it with the hand pump over 10 pumps and got it to start again but then it stalled again and the battery wouldn't let me get a third start out of it.

I've also noticed on gear changes there's a flat spot around 3000 rpm?

Is this likely to be the injector pump?
Lift pump?
Gremlins?

Any advice would be great!
Thanks!

aldo
2nd April 2013, 09:40 AM
hi jimmy,
What the situation at your exhaust?
lots of smoke or none?
sound like fuel starvation; fuel filter blocked
lift pump insufficient
fuel line blocked , twisted or cracked (between tank and lift pump a crack will allow air in)
fuel level too low
check if your pump gets fuel, if so your pump starts to be suspicious......
hope this helps

jimmyjam
4th April 2013, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the reply!
Generally there's a short puff of black smoke followed by plenty of grey/whitish smoke til it gets running properly...
I've dropped it off with the mechanic now, but I did notice air noises from the top of the hand pump after priming it. (10 to 15 pumps!)

Does this sound like lift pump or injector pump?

Thanks!

Wine_maker
4th April 2013, 03:14 PM
Replace fuel filter. 50% problem will disappear.