PDA

View Full Version : Tb42e overheating and hissing

TJsGQ
30th March 2013, 10:00 PM
G'day all how ya goin..

Bad new just drove my troll home from a friends n the temp gauge went all the way up.. Got it home n there's a hissing coming from near the starter moter n something is loosing water.. Being night time hard to see to much with a torch.. Will investigate more tomorrow just thought if throw it out there for ideas.. Did take it 4wdin earlier today n there was Mud involved lol.. Drove it back from there on 45 min trip n no dramas with heating could it when I high pressure cleaned underneath the car when i got home i may of loosin a hose I'm really hopin so..! Any ideas of hissing n loosin water would be greatly appreciated before I attack it tomoz

NP99
30th March 2013, 10:06 PM
Did you keep driving while temp high? Maybe a hose leak, pin hole is making the hissing,you'll know more in daylight.

TJsGQ
30th March 2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks mate by the time the temp rose I was at home.. Only a 5min trip.. Yeh but If its just a pin hole would it account for a fair bit of water dripping..?

Dominator
31st March 2013, 03:29 AM
The fact that the noise is coming from the back of the block makes me think it is more likely a dodgy welch plug. You will be able to see more in the morning but that is where I am putting my money.

Dales300exc
31st March 2013, 08:24 AM
I split a heater hose 2 hours into a 8hr trip. Was upsetting. They are at the back, mine went hot and was hissing. Food for thought. Nissan hose prices almost made me cry haha.

NP99
31st March 2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks mate by the time the temp rose I was at home.. Only a 5min trip.. Yeh but If its just a pin hole would it account for a fair bit of water dripping..?

Pin hole under pressure might account for the dripping.

TJsGQ
31st March 2013, 09:31 AM
Any tips on how to find the leak

NP99
31st March 2013, 09:39 AM
Get it to operating temp cap still on so it's under pressure and look and listen.

threedogs
31st March 2013, 10:44 AM
Go easy with those high pressure washers they will force water into some very weird places.
especially be carefull with the radiator it might render it useless. Just use with finger off trigger.

NP99
31st March 2013, 11:27 AM
How did it go TJ?

TJsGQ
31st March 2013, 04:16 PM
Family commitments for Easter have halted the checkin but on the way home now hopin to have a few hours left of sunlight

Parksy
31st March 2013, 04:25 PM
There's a plate on the right hand side of the block that has a habit of leaking. Hard to get to but apparently if the starter is removed, it can be pulled off, sealed and done back up again. Might be worth looking with a torch and mirror.

TJsGQ
31st March 2013, 04:57 PM
Ok thanks for the advice all.. So I filled it up with water n turned it on.. Found the leak straight away at the left hand side at the back of the engine there is a metal(guessing copper) pipe around 16mm thick with a nut fitting on the end going into the engine with a small say 6mm pipe coming off that metal pipe for a hose clamp connection that smaller pipe has bent n come away from the larger pipe starting to rip off..

TJsGQ
31st March 2013, 04:59 PM
Any idea what this metal pipe is called..? Any any chance of repairing the smaller metal pipe coming off it..?

TJsGQ
31st March 2013, 05:02 PM
Not the best picture looks better on my phone but that wetness in the middle is where the small pipe is broken n further along that pipe u can see the larger pipe n the nut connection to engine

threedogs
31st March 2013, 07:10 PM
Can't put some silver flakes in it to stop leak untill a more permanent solution can be found??.
Don't use Chemiweld unless you're selling

Growler or one of the Q boys might know that one

Parksy
31st March 2013, 07:34 PM
Sorry for the high jack, but why do people insist on using chemiweld only when selling a car? I'd much prefer to see a leak when buying a car as opposed to finding it reappear when heading on a long trip.

Dominator
31st March 2013, 08:28 PM
Sorry for the high jack, but why do people insist on using chemiweld only when selling a car? I'd much prefer to see a leak when buying a car as opposed to finding it reappear when heading on a long trip.

Because people are less likely to buy a car with a coolant leak and chemiweld is a cheap quick fix.

Parksy
31st March 2013, 08:30 PM
It's a dodgy cheap fix to mask a problem.

Dales300exc
1st April 2013, 09:17 AM
Hence i dont like buying second hand cars lol.

The plate can be done with the starter still on.

That pipe, the big end goes to the heater hose and that pipe thats broken on yours is a water feed to the gas convertor on mine.

Would be best to remove and braise.

TJsGQ
1st April 2013, 11:34 AM
Ok so I'm struggling getting that metal pipe out..! Any suggestions.. Is it possible to rejoin that smaller metal pipe to larger pipe without removing.?

threedogs
1st April 2013, 11:49 AM
@ parksy Some ppl use Chemiweld as you say to mask a problem Low life solution when selling gets rid of problem.
Not good for buyer down the road. personally I would never use it prefering to find and fix the problem.
But as you well know the world is full of rrrrs holes.

Doesnt look like you have much room to work there.
Is it just a silver solder fix or teflon tape ???

TJsGQ
7th April 2013, 02:37 PM
Ok so I finally got the pipe out was a massive pain In the bum..!!! So I believe it is the heater water pipe that feeds the back of the engine but would love to know what it really is.. U can see the pipe that broke off n rendered me gq useless.. Was glad it happened at home not on a trip I doubt u could fix it in the bush..! Was a 24mm spanner size for future reference the only one I didn't have lol..! Still need to go hunting for a new one of these will let u know how I go puttin it back in..!

TJsGQ
9th April 2013, 06:06 PM
Ok so an update on things..! The metal pipe is called a water connecter could only source one genuine from nissan but have to wait for it to be shipped from Japan may take up to a month cheap though only $30.. While I refit this I'm going to do a full overhaul on the system flushing n cleaning radiator (heard using acid cleaners can cause more problems.. Any opinions) replacing all hoses and thermostat..! Opinions on genuine n high flow rate thermos would be great roughly the same price $36 genuine and 41 aftermarket.. And genuine or after market hoses after market is more convenient as I can get a entire park in 1.. Where nissan told me I have to get separately ( person wasn't very helpful )

TJsGQ
17th April 2013, 08:07 PM
Ok so I've got the pipe...! Fitted the new one today and half way through the hoses before I ran out of sunlight.. Thought I would post a pic of the new one before I put it in

Parksy
18th April 2013, 06:11 AM
Ooo, shiny. Nice one!

Bloodyaussie
18th April 2013, 07:57 AM
Hope you are up and running soon mate.....

TJsGQ
20th April 2013, 06:21 PM
Yeh all good now runnin and everything turns out my old thermostat was stuck open..! So actually warms up properly now.. Replaced all hoses thermo and that metal pipe.. Flushed it all out with a cleaner and filled it with with coolant..!