PDA

View Full Version : Digital Voltmeters

TimE
30th March 2013, 08:18 PM
I have had a bit of a search but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I have bought 3 of these digital voltmeters (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Mini-5-25V-LED-Auto-Car-Truck-Voltmeter-Gauge-Voltage-Volt-Panel-Meter-/160997388801?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item257c313201) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/160.jpgoff ebay to monitor the 3 batteries (1 starter and 2 AGMs) I have in my GU IV. I know that for $6 odd they are not going to be top shelf kit, but hopefully they will give some indication of the declining voltage of my batteries whilst camping and running the 2 fridges, lights and chargers etc.

I am looking for suggestions for where to put them ( .............. and please :eck05: that suggestion would not be appropriate). The meters measure 44 X 26, so too big for a vacant switch spot. I don't want to cut holes in the dash/console etc.

NissanGQ4.2
30th March 2013, 08:35 PM
If it was me I would not mount them up the front but mount them up in the back somewhere instead

Where would it be more convenient for you? up front or in the rear???

Winnie
30th March 2013, 08:39 PM
Yeah I'd be putting them in the back as Todd has suggested. Don't know if that's suitable for you but it's what I'd do.

Cuppa
30th March 2013, 08:50 PM
I used one similar, not sure of precise size, to momitor my agm batteries in the rear canopy. I cut out the middle of one of the 'covers' in my GU dash & mounted the voltmeter in it.

Cuppa

TimE
30th March 2013, 09:06 PM
If it was me I would not mount them up the front but mount them up in the back somewhere instead

Where would it be more convenient for you? up front or in the rear???

Don't really know, that's why I'm after your expert advice :)

NissanGQ4.2
30th March 2013, 09:22 PM
Well my reasoning for the back would be because while camping I would be in and out of the back more.

If you were parked up for a few days camping, how often would you go to the front compared to the back?

Maybe the one for starter would be more appropriate up the front but definitely the other 2 up the back

04OFF
30th March 2013, 09:36 PM
Id go one up front like cuppa, but put it on a 3 way switch so you can select what battery it displays, then put the other 2 gauges in the back !

NissanGQ4.2
30th March 2013, 09:40 PM
Id go one up front like cuppa, but put it on a 3 way switch so you can select what battery it displays, then put the other 2 gauges in the back !

That would be smart thinking :)

Clunk
30th March 2013, 10:15 PM

Why not one up front, one in the rear, both with a 3 way switch

What you tapin at!!!!!????

boots
30th March 2013, 10:33 PM
Here is another option for mounting .

Dominator
31st March 2013, 04:32 AM
Well my reasoning for the back would be because while camping I would be in and out of the back more.

If you were parked up for a few days camping, how often would you go to the front compared to the back?

Maybe the one for starter would be more appropriate up the front but definitely the other 2 up the back

That's what I have done. I have one meter at the front for my start battery and one in the back for my aux battery. That way I can check my aux voltage every time I get a beer. So every 5mins :D

NissanGQ4.2
31st March 2013, 06:31 AM
Why not one up front, one in the rear, both with a 3 way switch

Could do that but already has the 3 readouts anyway

Cuppa
31st March 2013, 08:55 AM

My gauge in the front is in addition to the battery monitor I have in the rear, it's my 'reminder' to ensure I don't forget to disconnect the aux batteries & start battery if I've used the winch. I don't have a gauge just for my start battery, your post has been useful, putting in a switch so I can check the crank battery voltage sounds like a good idea.

Clunk
31st March 2013, 01:22 PM
Could do that but already has the 3 readouts anyway

Just keep one as a spare

TimE
10th May 2013, 03:40 PM
Finally did this using double sided tape. See how it goes for the time being, will think about other options for permanent fitting later. I'm keen to see the volts whilst charging, and can check easily enough when stationary.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/timber93au/WP_000065_zps938b62ce.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/timber93au/media/WP_000065_zps938b62ce.jpg.html)

happygu
10th May 2013, 04:11 PM
What about above the rearview mirror....I need to get a pic of mine to show you.

Mic

NP99
10th May 2013, 04:35 PM
Mate, what is the 3rd wire connected to?

TimE
10th May 2013, 04:59 PM
Mate, what is the 3rd wire connected to?
Red is +, black is - and green is the + of the battery you want to monitor. At the moment all the reds and blacks are on a cigarette lighter plug that goes into the dash, also 1 of the greens is connected to the reds so it reads the "car" battery volts, of the other 2 greens one is run to the aux battery under the bonnet and one to the 3rd battery in the back.