PDA

View Full Version : diff question.

charliebrown
27th March 2013, 11:25 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum business but i have a couple of problems concerning my rear diff.

I have a 4.2 TD GU DX 99' model patrol ute. the car was leant out to my dad and he apparently did a reverse rolling start and heard a loud noise. he drove it home about 150kms. i got it back and it was making a noise from the rear end. It sounded like a uni so i replaced both of those and then did the rear control arm bushes as well.

it didnt fix the problem so i have now pulled the rear centre out. i had a look inside and the housing was scratched up pretty bad in one area. the crown wheel has some small 3-4mm chunks out of it. the pinion is missing 2-3inches off 4 teeth. i dont know but a rebuild sounds like big trouble if you dont get all the tolerances and backlash right.

I can not find a rear centre anywhere. its a 4.11 ratio and as ive been looking around im getting confusing info. can a GQ rear 4.11 fit in? i have a very strong lsd and would like to put it into a new centre but not sure how hard that is. Apart from getting another rear diff centre, have i got any other options?

ive attached some photos of the centre. (sorry bout the quality)

charliebrown
27th March 2013, 11:28 PM
sorry the photos aren't working

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2013, 11:31 PM
G'day Charlie

Mate we like folks to start in teh INtroduction section adn post an intro so members can see who they are talking too. Please head over and do an intro.

Re your question.

As long as you have a H233 rear diff and not a H260 then a GQ centre will go straight in. some of the Utes ran the H260 which is a Bigger housing.

Post a pic and we'll have a look.

charliebrown
27th March 2013, 11:36 PM
where do i do the intro?

and im pretty sure its a h260. does hg41 mean anything?
the photos keep failing for some reason. just trying to fix now

NP99
27th March 2013, 11:37 PM
In the intro sub forum

charliebrown
27th March 2013, 11:49 PM
righto intros done but i cant get the photos to load. it says it fails every time.

charliebrown
27th March 2013, 11:56 PM
can i email some photos. The only photos ive got at the moment are of the centre of the centre diff. u can see the damage to the cron and pinion. I'll take some more tomorrow and see if it works then

NP99
27th March 2013, 11:59 PM
righto intros done but i cant get the photos to load. it says it fails every time.

They might be too large to upload, you'll see on that upload page what the size restrictions are.

charliebrown
28th March 2013, 12:13 AM
is there some way to change the photos?

MudRunnerTD
28th March 2013, 12:15 AM
download an App on your phone called Tappatalk. then take a pic with your phone and post it here.

Big Red
28th March 2013, 12:15 AM
where do i do the intro?

and im pretty sure its a h260. does hg41 mean anything?
the photos keep failing for some reason. just trying to fix now

HG41 means H233b diff housing [small one] with 4.1 ratio

HH41 means H260 diff housing [big one] with 4.1 ratio

GQ centre fits straight in
if your not sure of ratio ... divide the number of crownwheel teeth by the number of pinion teeth to get your answer.

NP99
28th March 2013, 12:16 AM
is there some way to change the photos?

Try resizing here mate.

http://www.picresize.com/

charliebrown
28th March 2013, 12:24 AM
right tried the app, still loading. the files undersized so i dont know whats wrong. sorry for the stuff around

charliebrown
28th March 2013, 12:27 AM
thanks mate i'll check tmoro on the HH or HG.
Its definately a 4.1 though.

charliebrown
28th March 2013, 12:44 AM
just to see if the photos work