PDA

View Full Version : Portable GPS's..?

billy bleed
27th March 2013, 05:24 PM
I am looking for one that is under 500 bucks that I can use in the city and when going out bush - something that is easy to use and won't get me lost!

Hema and VSM are out of my price range so just wondering if any has used MudMap M7 or Garmin Nuvi 3450?

Any thoughts?

oncedisturbed
27th March 2013, 06:01 PM
MudMap M7 is getting reasonable reviews for being fairly user friendly and good map coverage. Bearing mind that it hasn't been on the market very long.

Any particular reason on these 2 units as there a lot of cheaper units out there that can have the types of maps on them or have them installed.

Not sure if you have a tablet or smartphone but having a mapping system in them is a lot easier as you get more usage out of them and generally a lot cheaper.

Mudmaps is currently on special for $99 in the itunes store until the 8th of April feom memory if that help at all?

I have had mixed results from different Garmin products so I generally don't use them.

Your best person on the forum to speak to is Li who is one of the leading members from MudMAPS itself.

Tap, Tap, Taparoo

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 06:14 PM
My Navig8 is awsome for a $100 special... knows 99% of the stuff we do!!!

billy bleed
27th March 2013, 06:15 PM
thanks for that..

have an iphone but think the screen is too small..?

spotted hema 5 for 499 bucks..

i've read the best reviews for hema, vsm over tom tom etc..

rottodiver
27th March 2013, 06:19 PM
I use mudmaps on an ipad mini in a cradle, I am wrapped with it, although mr mudmaps himself introduced himself on here and I did pm him and ask a question and to this day he still hasn't replied so I am not too sure about the customer service.... Easy to use program as well ( only a couple of little gripes with it)
Scotty

rottodiver
27th March 2013, 06:19 PM
One more thing, it works quite well on my iphone also
Scotty

oncedisturbed
27th March 2013, 08:17 PM
I run MudMAPS in the iphone and ipad without a drama at all so the screen size isn't a problem. Iphone I use mainly for on-road use.

Rotto, if you wanted to pm your query I will try and assist or will email Tom and Li from MM direct.

Tap, Tap, Taparoo

NP99
27th March 2013, 09:10 PM
What about the Polaris products? Worth a look......

healy
27th March 2013, 09:26 PM
I've got mudmaps on the phone wouldn't know how to use the thing bloody confusing and if I'm in the bush and don't have reception does it use satelite? Lucky I never get lost

oncedisturbed
28th March 2013, 01:01 AM
NP99, I haven't seen a good review on Polaris for awhile and their price is out of reach for a lot of people. Happy to be proven wrong though but have never used them :)

Healy, with your phone having 3G, it uses the inbuilt GPS for your location and mapping and doesn't need phone signal. Same principle as a normal GPS.

Only time a unit such as a tablet won't be able to use these type of programs is if they do not have a built in 3G / GPS ability, this is easy to overcome with aftermarket products like the "Bad Elf" GPS plug in adapter for Ipod / Ipad non 3G models as an example.

Tap, Tap, Taparoo

billy bleed
28th March 2013, 11:12 AM
ok... it would work out a lot cheaper so i'm considering over a unit.. but i am wondering does mud maps or hema for iphone also cover the city directory and does it talk to you with directions?

Cuppa
28th March 2013, 01:08 PM
I have Hema for ipad. It is a good app but is not a 'navigator' which talks to you, rather it shows you where you are on a map & captures your route as you drive it. You can put in a route manually before setting off & it will tell you how far left to go, but not when to turn etc. In remote country I would trust it more than most 'navigators' I've seen/used. Does not need a phone signal to work. (Provided the ipad has GPS). For city work a separate navigator is required, but these can be bought for under $100 for stand alone units, or much cheaper as apps.

The Hema Navigator (HN6) which costs a lot more IS a navigator, plus what you get with the app, plus Camps Australia Wide electronic edition.

Cuppa

Blacklotusdog
28th March 2013, 01:57 PM
I have just put memory map on my iphone which is basically the hema app bit without maps.

You can buy licence to the maps you want on their website and can buy it for either a single mobile device or pc, or can buy it for 2 mobile devices and two pcs. I bought just the desert maps for $60 as it covers the area I live in. It also comes with a pretty good 1:250k topo for free.

I have on my PC at home as well which means you can do trip planning on computer at home then transfer any routes or marks across to your phone.

It's free to download and you can get a 10 day trial licence for any of their maps so can check them out before buying to make sure they will be useful for you.

For general city and town navigation just download google maps app, I have found it does a superb job of turn by turn directions. I will likely be getting a bad elf for my wifi iPad and set it up on that with a mount but will see how I go with my phone first.

billy bleed
28th March 2013, 05:34 PM
gonna download a street navigator and an off road one for the iphone - it will work out cheaper for now.. any recommendations?

Blacklotusdog
28th March 2013, 10:08 PM
As above google maps is fine for street, try memory map and just get a 10 day trial of some of the off road maps see of it will work for you. All up it will cost you zero dollars to do this.

MudMap
25th September 2013, 04:08 PM
Hi Billy,
The Mud Map M7 is a good all rounder and excellent price compared to other Off-road GPS options. It has a very capable turn by turn and latest street data for driving around the city, plus maps from 4 publishers for Off-road use. For more info you can check out our website: http://www.mud-maps.com/m7 The website also includes videos showing demos of off-road and on road use. If you have any more specific questions please give me a shout any time and I will do my best to answer them.

Winnie
25th September 2013, 04:19 PM
My mate just got that one, yet to try it out.

MudRunnerTD
25th September 2013, 04:29 PM
Hi Billy,
The Mud Map M7 is a good all rounder and excellent price compared to other Off-road GPS options. It has a very capable turn by turn and latest street data for driving around the city, plus maps from 4 publishers for Off-road use. For more info you can check out our website: http://www.mud-maps.com/m7 The website also includes videos showing demos of off-road and on road use. If you have any more specific questions please give me a shout any time and I will do my best to answer them.

Hi mate, their are a number of members seeking some explanations from your App. Please see this thread and Comment there

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?18310-Gday-from-Mud-Map/page3

It would be good to see you make an Effort rather than just come here and dump your Link and Leave thanks mate. welcome to the forum Again! Are you Trawling or joining?

Regards MR

oncedisturbed
25th September 2013, 04:36 PM
This is a surprise, 1st forum I have seen with 2 member's from MudMAPS registered on as users.

MudMap
30th September 2013, 09:23 PM
Hi MudRunner,

Thank you very much for the link. I have addressed this link also. I look forward to being part of your forum. Thank you for having me on board.

Warm Wishes,
Maria from MUDMAP

GQ TANK
1st October 2013, 01:16 AM
I was running a cheap ebay 7 inch gps (wince) with OZI explorer ce - worked well on and off road - but I maionly runn a tomtom on road.

Im about to upgrade to a 10 laptop with a external touch screen running ozi - plus I will still run the tomtom. I had to buy a gp receive as the tomtom does not provide a output.

As I have a GQ - im planning on mounting the touch screen near the mirror - plus possibly run a reverse camera into it