PDA

View Full Version : Have to cut my gun safe open??

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 12:46 PM
Just got a quote over the phone to pick my gunsafe and they want $275... then if I want the lock fixed and a key cut it will be about $500 plus!!!!

I think I am just going to cut the thing open then buy another safe but I am worried about dmaging my rifles... mainly the optics as of course I did not put the lens covers on when storing my rifles???

Any ideas??

Cuppa
27th March 2013, 12:52 PM
Find the key! :toot:

Mine is just a metal work locker with a padlocked door, so if I ever lose the key an angle grinder would soon sort it.

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 12:54 PM
Find the key! :toot:

Mine is just a metal work locker with a padlocked door, so if I ever lose the key an angle grinder would soon sort it.

Thats what I use to have but my mate gave me his old safe when he got his big one...... now I am stuffed!!

healy
27th March 2013, 12:56 PM
can you drill the lock out?

Alitis007
27th March 2013, 12:59 PM
Was just about to say drill the lock!!

Dominator
27th March 2013, 01:09 PM
Can you fit a 1mm cutting disc in-between the door and frame to cut the lock bolt?

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 01:12 PM
There is 6 locking pins about the diameter of a 20 cent piece.

The lock is a big bugger..... I looking at a couple of options but think how much a locksmith want is robbery.

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2013, 01:39 PM
Ring the RACV and tel them your locked out of the House and when the guy arrives sling him $50 to pick your gun safe lock ;)

rottodiver
27th March 2013, 01:42 PM
Ring more than one locksmith, that is excessive, I used to be a locksmith, what kind of key lock is it, is it a wafer type lock ( like the old style keys that look like prison keys) or is it a normal key( like a house or padlock key)

Sir Roofy
27th March 2013, 01:54 PM
ive lost his number but if you look up geoff taylor lock smith your way maybe not tellhim your a hunter
might help you out

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 01:59 PM
Ring more than one locksmith, that is excessive, I used to be a locksmith, what kind of key lock is it, is it a wafer type lock ( like the old style keys that look like prison keys) or is it a normal key( like a house or padlock key)

The wafer style...old school with up and down ??

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 02:06 PM
ive lost his number but if you look up geoff taylor lock smith your way maybe not tellhim your a hunter
might help you out

Rang him and he was rude and arrogant !!!!!

rottodiver
27th March 2013, 02:07 PM
My best suggestion is do a google search on how to drill out a mortice lock, it is quite easy and I am sure you will find some step by step instructions.
Scotty

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 02:08 PM
My best suggestion is do a google search on how to drill out a mortice lock, it is quite easy and I am sure you will find some step by step instructions.
Scotty

Cheers big ears!!!!!

rottodiver
27th March 2013, 02:08 PM
Drilling will damage the door though but it is not uncommon to use that putty weld to repair it and you will need a new lock afterwards though

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 02:10 PM
This the bugger!!!!

Sir Roofy
27th March 2013, 02:16 PM
rang him and he was rude and arrogant !!!!!

must have missed out last nite wonder what he would have said if you mentioned
gdsa not to worry he must have to much money to knock back a job

Sir Roofy
27th March 2013, 02:19 PM
this the bugger!!!!

try two small blade screwdrivers you might just fluke it

Maxhead
27th March 2013, 02:28 PM
Sorry mate, not much of a lock picker but as said above grinder and drill should see it open.
Otherwise a sick of gelegnite

.........on the move

AB
27th March 2013, 02:33 PM
This the bugger!!!!

thin disc Grinder, easy done....Do you know how the guns are placed inside?

If so, grind the other side...lol

Or.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zap_VWcwtvk

Or the fun way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXk_Yzw0nU

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 02:35 PM
The side I can get to to cut open has my more expensive guns on and there is bugger all room in there???

healy
27th March 2013, 02:36 PM
You could shoot the lock oh hang guns are in the safe

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2013, 02:38 PM
OK Rethinking this.....

Who is your House and Contents with BA? Dont be surprised if you have Insurance cover for Lost and stolen Keys! Have a look and they might just pay to have it opened for you mate!

Bob
27th March 2013, 02:58 PM
Now I know why you are a Moderator Mate LOL

NP99
27th March 2013, 03:21 PM
That's a good safe....I'd still try a few locksmiths as a 1st option.

jack
27th March 2013, 03:43 PM
Jonathan, did you ring the manufacturer? if it's locally made they may be able to assist or advise. But as suggested make sure you check with your insurance first, if not covered ask them where it is excluded in the policy.

NissanGQ4.2
27th March 2013, 03:56 PM
You have 2 options here

Option 1: Bring it up to Sydney to a suburb called Mount Druitt, they will have it open in about 10 secs flat, no key required, no gaurentee they will give you your guns back though
Option 2: Get the locksmith smith out and after he opens your safe, shoot him and bury his body.....

I'm no locksmith but if he was picking the lock, you shouldn't need the lock fixed, just a key cut.

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 04:10 PM
Insurance was a no go after being on hold for 572 years!!!!!!!!!

Asked another locksmith for a quote but no one seems to want work and get back to me... I have to chase them all back!!!!!!!

growler2058
27th March 2013, 04:34 PM
When i was doing bank jobs. There were little tricks given to us for getting into day safes that were faulty and the key or time delay didnt work. Google the brand of safe youve got and see if there is any sort of way in without the key..................................or find the bloody key bloody aussie

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 04:39 PM
Yeah having been googling like bloody mad!!!!

The locksmithing trade are a bunch of dirty&%^$&%......... Here are the quotes... $275, $350.. $250 with one mob still to get back to me???

I am pissed... accepted buying another safe but how much these guys charge for the job needed is not justified...... any locksmith that gets on here and tells me otherwise can suck one of my smelly farts and like it!!!!!!!!!!

Cuppa
27th March 2013, 04:41 PM
Explosives?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/1.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/)
You know you want to! :)

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 04:43 PM
Explosives?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/1.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/)
You know you want to! :)

Got any?????

Thinking of some creative drilling instead of cutting blades?????

Yendor
27th March 2013, 04:46 PM
Have you tried contacting Safewell? is there a serial number on the back?

They might be able to give you the lock code......

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 04:48 PM
No lock code and it is bolted down from the inside....... safewell are a Chinese company as are all these days???

Yendor
27th March 2013, 04:53 PM
No lock code and it is bolted down from the inside....... safewell are a Chinese company as are all these days???

Bugger.........have you checked with the mate you got the locker from?

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 04:55 PM
Bugger.........have you checked with the mate you got the locker from?

Yep he wash here on the weekend and he says it only came with one?????

I dont care about the safe so much nor destroying it , I just dont want to damage my rifles...

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2013, 04:55 PM
what did the Insurance actually say BA??

What exactly did you Ask them?

I am inside peoples Insurance claims all the time and after getting knocked back give them advice on the Right Way to ask the question and it is amazing how often there is a rethink. Give me a call if you need to mate.

Cheers MR

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2013, 05:23 PM
Yep he wash here on the weekend and he says it only came with one?????

I dont care about the safe so much nor destroying it , I just dont want to damage my rifles...

If you have to get into it and dont want sparks then drill a hole and use a Recipro saw with a Hack Sew blade.

I had a Safe about 5 years ago that i had used for business i was running and i lost the key. it sat there for 5 years. Finally i sold the property and i put it on the trailer to take to scrap metal. Something told me to get the Grinder out and check it was empty. Cut it open to check and $1750 fell out!! Love that!

macca86
27th March 2013, 05:25 PM
Bugger hope you weren't planning a hunting trip this weekend. Glad you're follow the rules having it bolted down maybe just use the 1mm cut of wheel then get a sabre saw in to avoid sparks

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 05:41 PM
What are all these saws you guys talking about???

My mate just rang me to tell me he has another mate who is a locksmith and he might do it for $50-$100... I have to send a pick of it.....

Wait to here back before cutting away??

Alitis007
27th March 2013, 05:44 PM
Can't we cut the floor away???? Then bring it to my shop and i'll FIX it!!

NissanGQ4.2
27th March 2013, 05:45 PM
What are all these saws you guys talking about???

One of these BA: http://www.toolhq.com.au/p-209-dewalt-dc385b-18v-cordless-reciprocating-saw-nano-new-bare-tool-dc385.aspx?CAWELAID=868984121&catargetid=1716325265&gclid=CJufv8usnLYCFUYhpQod2DEAtQ

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 06:03 PM
My neighbour just drove past and has one of those saws..... said no problem for me to borrow it.

Yendor
27th March 2013, 06:43 PM
Looking at that the photo of the safe, I would say it's at least a 3 point latching, possible 5 points.

If you are going to give it a go yourself, I think you would be better off drilling/cutting in between the lock and handle and trying to find the linkage.

This linage could be offset and possibly have more then one.

To be honest, I'm thinking the quotes from the locksmith aren't that bad.

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 06:45 PM
Looking at that the photo of the safe, I would say it's at least a 3 point latching, possible 5 points.

If you are going to give it a go yourself, I think you would be better off drilling/cutting in between the lock and handle and trying to find the linkage.

This linage could be offset and possibly have more then one.

To be honest, I'm thinking the quotes from the locksmith aren't that bad.

NOw you are just looking for a fight!!!!! Da da daa da da da da dadadadadada!!!!!

megatexture
27th March 2013, 07:02 PM
I'd drill the lock out if that fails drill a series of holes around it and beat the crap out of it I wouldn't use a grinder

Sir Roofy
27th March 2013, 07:07 PM
Got one of those two bladed saw here be interesting to see how that goes
suppose to cut through anything

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 07:07 PM
I am not I will use a saw...... cut a hole big enough to fit the guns out then cut a much bigger hole so I can unbolt it from the floor.

megatexture
27th March 2013, 07:16 PM
Hire a big hole saw and drill 4 or 6 overlapping holes on the top to get them out ? That way its fewer holes

Alitis007
27th March 2013, 07:21 PM
Got one of those two bladed saw here be interesting to see how that goes
suppose to cut through anything

You been watching too much late night tv roofy??

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 07:23 PM
You been watching too much late night tv roofy??

He he he he!!!!!

Sir Roofy
27th March 2013, 07:29 PM
You could cut through the side and might be able to get at the lock that way
get your rifles out could even save the safe

Maxhead
27th March 2013, 07:35 PM
Have you called MacGyver ? LOL

fracster
27th March 2013, 08:39 PM
I take you ain`t got a spare key then?................:tease:

Blownlc
27th March 2013, 09:04 PM
Hire a big hole saw and drill 4 or 6 overlapping holes on the top to get them out ? That way its fewer holes

Go to kenards and hire a slugger. It's a low rpm, high torque electromagnetic drill. It will bore a cold hole. It's like a vertical bench drill that will attach to the safe via the electro magnet. You will be able to drill multiple holes and remove all your guns safely and in damaged.

LESS YAP YAP, MORE TAP TAP!!

Bloodyaussie
27th March 2013, 09:08 PM
Funny it will cheaper with all these options offered and go buy a new larger safe than it is to just get the bloody door open, never mind replacing the lock and getting new keys cut!!!

Might go buy a safe tomorrow and cut my guns out..... then I might have to celebrate and shoot something!!!!

NP99
27th March 2013, 10:35 PM
What about gas axing the lock?

macca86
27th March 2013, 10:54 PM
What about gas axing the lock?
Fire arms inside with optics that scratch very easy you can forget a gas axe plus a lock will be stainless so wont work anyway.

NP99
27th March 2013, 10:56 PM
What about duelling gas axes :-)

P4trol
27th March 2013, 11:15 PM
Don't think you have a choice. You have expensive guns. They can open it without damaging them.

Safes fall into different categories eg survive fire, delay entry for as long as possible, make it evident they have been compromised etc.

Some safes are easily broken in to. Sometimes the manufacturer makes a way they can be opened, then repaired. A locksmith may have this info, you don't. Safes are designed to stop people opening them using the 'easy methods' and more.

I think your options are to suck it up and pay someone to open it in a way that it can be repaired, or buy a new safe and go ape yourself...

NP99
27th March 2013, 11:19 PM
Define "go ape". :-)

P4trol
27th March 2013, 11:24 PM
'go ape'

I'm trying to say 'get stuck in to it with gusto and cut it into a thousand pieces with the gingerness and full knowledge that your entire precious collection (and probably a fair few $$ in arms) are within.

:confused:

NP99
27th March 2013, 11:43 PM
'go ape'

I'm trying to say 'get stuck in to it with gusto and cut it into a thousand pieces with the gingerness and full knowledge that your entire precious collection (and probably a fair few $$ in arms) are within.

:confused:

Like this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxqIITtTtU

Alitis007
28th March 2013, 07:42 AM
I think he opened it and shot some 20yo in his area lol

Bloodyaussie
28th March 2013, 01:02 PM
I don't stuff around ........

Alitis007
28th March 2013, 01:31 PM
What a nice looking peashooter!!!

Wheres the smile???

healy
28th March 2013, 01:37 PM
I don't stuff around ........

Do they make them for men?

NP99
28th March 2013, 01:48 PM
Do they make them for men?

:smileyvault-cute-bi:smileyvault-cute-bi:smileyvault-cute-bi

growler2058
28th March 2013, 02:20 PM
Fail!!!!!!!!! Not wearing ya NP.com shirt

Bloodyaussie
28th March 2013, 02:37 PM
That pea shooter throws a round out at 4000fps and is pretty much the fastest factory round you can get.......

No that is my Colorado Caravan shirt..... need a caravan see Jim at Colorado caravans for a great deal...ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!

Sir Roofy
28th March 2013, 02:39 PM
i don't stuff around ........

whats wrong with a normal butt,white writing on the out side lmfao

Bloodyaussie
28th March 2013, 02:43 PM
That is my Varmint rifle in 204 caliber... it is bloody fast and hits hard with no recoil at all.

It is in heavy barrel with a custom thumbhole stock I did myself and is used from a vehicle or in a hide but not suited to carry around.

That one is my baby and took over from my .243 as the main work horse.

Got approval to go on a farm up the road for this weekend so it will be my first shoot in about 7 months!!!!

Need a break from these car things..??

Sir Roofy
28th March 2013, 02:54 PM
that is my varmint rifle in 204 caliber... It is bloody fast and hits hard with no recoil at all.

It is in heavy barrel with a custom thumbhole stock i did myself and is used from a vehicle or in a hide but not suited to carry around.

That one is my baby and took over from my .243 as the main work horse.

Got approval to go on a farm up the road for this weekend so it will be my first shoot in about 7 months!!!!

Need a break from these car things..??

must be very fast game your way,yeah can understand the wanting to get away now that its getting cooler and the sticks dont move on there own will be heading bush again

Cuppa
28th March 2013, 02:56 PM
Yeah, so how'd you get into it in the end?

jack
28th March 2013, 03:46 PM
BA send us a pic of the safe

Irish
28th March 2013, 04:15 PM
I could bring the 303 around and shoot some holes in it for you BA, I've still got around three boxes of surplus military FMJ's floating around :-)

Bloodyaussie
28th March 2013, 04:51 PM
I could bring the 303 around and shoot some holes in it for you BA, I've still got around three boxes of surplus military FMJ's floating around :-)

No need Pete... unfortunately I had to destroy the safe you gave me..... err hope you did not want it back????

The bugger I replaced it with weighs 140kg and killed me getting it in!!!!!

Cuppa
28th March 2013, 05:40 PM
Yeah, so how'd you get into it in the end?

Ahh, so still not open? I thought the pic of you with the gun meant you'd managed to get it out.

Bloodyaussie
28th March 2013, 05:45 PM
Yes mate she is open and new safe is in place...as above!!!!

NissanGQ4.2
28th March 2013, 05:55 PM
How did you get in BA???

Winnie
28th March 2013, 06:18 PM
The suspense is killing me!!!

growler2058
28th March 2013, 06:19 PM
Need PICS!!

Bloodyaussie
28th March 2013, 07:06 PM
Here is a picture....