PDA

View Full Version : What's an acceptable amount of k's on a 3ltr gu

BigRAWesty
26th March 2013, 09:54 PM
Just looking atm...
But a lot around the 300,000k mark. A few good ones around the 180000k mark. Is 300 sorta mid age for the 3ltr, or pushing the end of it..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

happygu
26th March 2013, 10:07 PM
Kallen,

I would try and get one with lesser K's, as a lot of the ones with larger k's will be the earlier 2000 - 2003 models. There are reports of some having done over 500,000 but it is still too early to tell what percentage will make it that far.

It is funny though, as most of them do seem to keep going if they get past the 150,000 mark with no issues.

I know someone with a 2000 model, which has clicked up over 320,000 and they aren't aware that they could potentially be up for a large rebuild cost, and I have tried to persuade them that it may be best to move it on as they wouldn't be able to afford to fix it if something did happen.

Mic

MudRunnerTD
26th March 2013, 10:11 PM
The problem you have Kallen that your the Guinea pig mate. Who knows really??

Chase the newest one you can with the best service history mate. If you can extend to a GUIV with a CRD it would be a real winner mate. For the extra cost versus the potential rebuild cost there is value in buying a newer one if you can mate.

I don't think I would buy a ZD30 with 300,000kms on it.

iMHO

Cheers Darren

happygu
26th March 2013, 10:18 PM
Kallen, I really think it would be great to see you in a tough tourer GU......

'That should bring them all out of the woodwork'....now you'll have heaps of replies

Clunk
26th March 2013, 10:34 PM
Kallen, I really think it would be great to see you in a tough tourer GU......

'That should bring them all out of the woodwork'....now you'll have heaps of replies

Not this puppy!!!!!!! Hahahaha

It does appear to be the luck of the draw Kallen, there's a guy I know who has an early 2000 or 2001 (can't remember which but that's by the by) and had it since new,which has clicked over 300k's, no nads done, no blocking of the egr...... Just plain simple regular service and maintenance......

Not really sure if I would like to be in that lottery though...... But having said that, there are always issues with cars of all makes, sizes and age. All you can do is hope you've picked a good one after doing all the necessary checks.......

Personally, I'd stick with the GQ.... Or my GU weapon of choice would be the tb48...... Thirsty yes but so much cheaper to buy than a td42
Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

SupRob
26th March 2013, 10:49 PM
Spot on. Luck of the draw.

Bought my GU ZD30 with 380k on it, Done 10k so far, slight over heating,

Got on order thermostat, water pump/clutch fan, radiator.

I kept in mind how the costs of the motor pending what happens,
I work in Diesel Spares ;-)

healy
26th March 2013, 10:58 PM
I know of a good one mate this thing is a great paper weight

BigRAWesty
26th March 2013, 11:49 PM
OK, so luck of the draw on the early 3ltrs.. what about the 2.8's?
i refuse to go petty as we will be towing..

Id love to keep the Q, but the minister of war and finance wants to get a U for touring..

NP99
27th March 2013, 12:03 AM
I know of a good one mate this thing is a great paper weight

Not for long mate!

Pepper
27th March 2013, 08:38 AM
My 2007 gu auto has 107000 klm original mileage its yours for $27000 as i have lost my job and need the money if your interested...

BigRAWesty
27th March 2013, 11:33 AM
Would love to but not buying atm sorry. Just scoping for our budget.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Winnie
27th March 2013, 12:33 PM

Id love to keep the Q, but the minister of war and finance wants to get a U for touring..

GQs make great tourers!

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

BigRAWesty
27th March 2013, 05:10 PM
GQs make great tourers!

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

I know, but try telling the wife that...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

lhurley
27th March 2013, 11:04 PM

From what i have heard the 2.8 has a weak head and is good for about 200ks. They are also quite revy and a bit under powered.

If the Q is still in good nic, why not give it a birthday and some new creature comforts, ie seats, stereo??

My old house mate had a 4.2 gq dual fuel 33's 2" lift, ive got a 4.5 gu dual fuel 33's 2" lift, and there wasnt much difference, both about the same k's, yes his is a couple years older, but his was also 4k cheaper then mine and if i spent 4k on "luxuries" the q would be better.

yonga23
29th March 2013, 03:58 PM
mine is going on 300K and still going strong

threedogs
29th March 2013, 04:51 PM
A ripper deal will no doubt present itself the day you purchase your new "U"

exploremore
4th April 2013, 11:33 AM
My GU3.0L has done 300+K and still going strong. The grenade myth is overblown and with all the information, experience and expertise on just this Forum you should feel comfortable with the ZD30.

When you consider such a physically small engine is more than adequately moving around a huge mass of steel, plastic and rubber (plus a lots of gear) they are a great engine.

Price obviously depends on condition but I would have thought that you could pick up one of that vintage for around $20K.

BigRAWesty
4th April 2013, 12:43 PM
My GU3.0L has done 300+K and still going strong. The grenade myth is overblown and with all the information, experience and expertise on just this Forum you should feel comfortable with the ZD30.

When you consider such a physically small engine is more than adequately moving around a huge mass of steel, plastic and rubber (plus a lots of gear) they are a great engine.

Price obviously depends on condition but I would have thought that you could pick up one of that vintage for around $20K.

Yes you have a good point. The reason zd 30's are branded is that people with blowen engines join forums and discuss it.. how many millions are out there without the slightest clue of an issue...

But knowing me and karma don't see eye to eye, and my luck, it'd buy one and as I got to the gate bang...

Just wanted to get the feelers out.

Would you guys buy a recently rebuilt one? It would take a lot of trust I think.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

SonOf
30th April 2013, 01:13 PM
My GU 3ltr has 356km on the clokc in in that time I have put a reconn head on it and a new turbo and I am pedantic about 5000 oil drops etc, so yep luck of the draw. I agree with Winnie that a GQ is great for touring and what you can get a good one for you can then add some nice Kab seating with good buckets. I added stratos on Kab to my TD42 GU and it is BRILLIANT. Have seen some magic GQ's with 4.2 Turbos for under $10k

Mikees
10th July 2013, 03:01 AM
Mine has done two heads in 180,000km. Others have done lots of miles without issue. At the head place they had pallets of Nissan ZD heads, loads more than any other. Make your own call but IMO it will always be a risk.

threedogs
10th July 2013, 07:48 AM
X 2 with Clunk, Go the 4.8 Ti heaps of creature comforts for the missus.
cheaper price will allow fitment of a turbo, I've personally seen these motors
put out 335RwKw and 1/4 mile times of 14.5 sec. Abliet a high state of tune and mods.
Great for towing, better for offroading. Bulletproof Nissan Driveline. best LSD in the game.

BigRAWesty
19th July 2013, 08:33 AM
Wow this post has carried. And Thanks for all the input. As we've owned the old q since day dot I know Its life history, and that sorta info is priceless so on that call alone we are keeping it. That and It's a TD42... It's currently being pulled apart and having a birthday, all be it a slow long break. Plan is to pull out interior and add a better sound deadening product, and make the suspension a little softer so Its a comfy ride.
So again thanks fir the input.

Sent from my C6603 using Motorculture mobile app