PDA

View Full Version : Re wiring head lights S.E.Q

macca86
26th March 2013, 09:45 PM
So I'm over the piss poor factory headlights on my gu. I really want micks HiD projectors but due to funds and legal issues I need an upgrade now as they are nor working due to me drowning it.
I've been reading here and else where you can upgrade the loom with relays bigger wire and fit bigger brighter globes. How much better is this upgrade and legal issues and longevity issues?
Does anyone know how to do it as I'm rubbish with electrics

Yendor
27th March 2013, 05:28 PM
Steve, I don't think fitting relays and a loom upgrade (Loom????.......and your rubbish with electrics......yeah right :tease:) will give you the benefit you are after with your lights.......not on a GU.

How are your headlights? did you get muddy water inside the lights? are the reflectors tarnished?

I have read a few posts where people have upgraded the earlier GU headlights to the later ones and have been very happy with the results. To do this you will also need to purchase the indicators beside the headlights.

Another option is to try some genuine Phillips extreme 100 plus or something similar. You don't need to upgrade the wiring to run these and you might be happy with the results. BUT, if your reflectors a cactus then these might not help.

I'm more then happy to have a look at your headlight wiring and see if fitting relays will be of any benefit.

Cheers Rodney

macca86
27th March 2013, 06:19 PM
Hi Rodney my lights have water damage so an upgrade to series 3 lights and indicators might be the go. As far as my wiring that's what is my concern my drivers side light has been out for a week I just checked it its totally burnt out the black plastic where the wires go to and the passenger light only comes on if I pop the bonnet and wriggle it and can go off over big bumps which is no good so I'm thinking rewire with larger gauge wire relays etc plus bigger better bulbs with series 3 lights.
FYI I'm google smart about electrics just repeating what I've read have no idea ho it all works.
I kinda need this work done ASAP considering the amount of night driving I do and country driving too.

Yendor
27th March 2013, 07:07 PM
Hahahaha....google is your friend, sounds like a line I would use.

I guess what I was getting at in a round about sort of way is, by the time you purchase new lights, indicators, upgrade the wiring and fit illegal higher wattage bulbs. Dollar wise you will more then likely be better off with a set of projector HIDs. They don't use the original headlight reflectors and come with their own loom. Performance wise there is no comparison.

As I said above, I'm more then happy to have a look at it for you.

macca86
27th March 2013, 07:23 PM
Will I need to upgrade the wiring fora hid kit micks you beaut stuff delivered in series 3 headlights was 1200 posted I think I was not wanting to spend more than 500 as I'm saving for a dr400e bike and getting my bike licence

Yendor
27th March 2013, 07:35 PM
All HID kits will come with their own wire harness.

The HIDs kits you can buy via ebay will come with their own harness but they will still use your original headlight reflectors. This doesn't give you a good cut off and annoys oncoming traffic. I'm sure you have read Mick's sales pitch.

I'm not sure what Mick's quote includes (best chat with him regarding that) but it will come with it's own harness.

macca86
27th March 2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks mate thanks ill have to do some soul searching

04OFF
27th March 2013, 09:11 PM
My mate was telling me about a new HID kit he fitted, and that aparently the bulb section mechanically moved back and forth between high and low beam, i asked about the annoying pointing up spread of light that blinds other drivers, and he said these are different , his lights retained a perfect light pattern on low beam the same as the factory halogen lights.

I have not seen with my own eyes, but this guy is pretty switched on and has more knowledge than i do.

Anyone else seen this type of set up ?

macca86
27th March 2013, 09:43 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GU-PATROL-H-LIGHT-UPGRADE-LOOM-90-130-S-WHITE-GLOBES-/120276992942
How would these go

macca86
27th March 2013, 11:42 PM
If you could let me know I kinda bought the above link but can cancel if you have the upgraded loom it'll look like the pictures in my eBay link or similar

macca86
28th March 2013, 08:35 AM
Cheers mate. I'm with out a phone so through here would be good mate. Apparently phones don't like water