PDA

View Full Version : Gq exhausts

Parksy
26th March 2013, 04:59 PM
Hi all

At some point in time I'd like to chuck a new exhaust system on my 92 efi patrol as the original one looks as if it's seen better days. But I must admit I quite enjoy the quietness of it. But then I'd imagine that it's probably very restrictive to make it so quiet, so I'm asking all of you who have fitted something aftermarket what they think of it. A small performance increase and better fuel economy would be nice, has anyone noticed an increase of either with a new exhaust?
Looking at eBay and there's many complete kits going around, but they've got straight through mufflers which I'd imagine are quite loud. Anyone tried these units?

Thanks all for reading

Andy

Winnie
26th March 2013, 09:24 PM
Won't suit your car mate they are different for the carby engines for whatever reason. Learnt that the hard way.

TJsGQ
26th March 2013, 09:36 PM
Hey I put extractors on my efi patrol and had a noticeable increase in power through the whole rev range instead of just down low.. But I had a massive hole in my manifold.. And it is still quite.. Unlike with my cracked manifold.. Only set me back 250 for the extractors n a couple of flanges n I just welded it to the existing pipe..

Parksy
27th March 2013, 03:08 PM
Are you talking about the eBay kits Winnie? Even the one that's made for the efi?

Did you notice any increase in mpg TJsGQ?

Mojo01
31st March 2013, 01:41 AM
I got a new system put on just last week on my 92 GQ efi 4.2, as the engine pipe ( the one that joins onto the manifold) was stuffed, I begged them to not install the catalytic converter as I run on gas 99% of the time ( cough cough :P ) and just got a single pipe with one muffler.. BIG performance boost when running on gas, and it now sounds quite good as well, not loud, just nice and throaty. If your car was fitted with a catalytic converter according to law it should have one on, but... since some carby models from the same year do not have catalytic converter there is a grey area with this. If you are on dual fuel the catalytic converter will just fill up with water and rust out anyway if you are running on gas a lot, get rid of it and it does give you a bit of a power increase, especially on hills. JUST MAKE SURE ITS LEGAL IN YOUR STATE..