PDA

View Full Version : diff lock stuck on

mike-l
26th March 2013, 09:37 AM
hi therefolks
got a patrol sve td 3.0. usually 4wl gets me out of everything but we had some heavy snow here last week soused the diff lock(first time it's been used) and now its stuck on, any ideas.
tried forwards and reverse movement in and out of 4w and so on but to no avail:icon_bonk::icon_bonk:
starting to do my nut in

Dominator
26th March 2013, 09:49 AM
Is it a factory diff lock? If so, it is vacuum operated and the Nissan solenoids are crap. I am not 100% sure for a GU but on a GQ the 2 solenoids are mounted under the bonnet near the passenger side firewall. One of the solenoids locks the diff the other unlocks it. Maybe have a look at them and see if the plugs have fallen off. If the plugs are ok maybe try swapping the hoses over to see if that unlocks it. If that works than you will most likely need to replace the solenoids. I have replaced mine with a mac solenoid valve that is heaps more reliable.

MudRunnerTD
26th March 2013, 09:50 AM
Hi mate. What year is your car? We don't have that model sig here. Is it an electric diff lock, vacuum or air?

How do you know its stuck on?

mike-l
26th March 2013, 09:52 AM
Is it a factory diff lock? If so, it is vacuum operated and the Nissan solenoids are crap. I am not 100% sure for a GU but on a GQ the 2 solenoids are mounted under the bonnet near the passenger side firewall. One of the solenoids locks the diff the other unlocks it. Maybe have a look at them and see if the plugs have fallen off. If the plugs are ok maybe try swapping the hoses over to see if that unlocks it. If that works than you will most likely need to replace the solenoids. I have replaced mine with a mac solenoid valve that is heaps more reliable.

chees dominator, yes it is factory fitted so will check the soleniods

mike-l
26th March 2013, 09:55 AM
Hi mate. What year is your car? We don't have that model sig here. Is it an electric diff lock, vacuum or air?

How do you know its stuck on?

its electric, when i turn the car you can feel the back wheels being pulled or pushed when reversing

CPOCSM
18th March 2014, 08:08 PM
Just opening the thread again. My 1993 TI Gq with vacuum solenoid diff locker has locked my diff on. No matter how many times back or forward I go the rear diff remains locked on me. As it turned out the little plastic pipes going into the bottom of the solenoids have snapped partially indicating the plastic has perished. I have ordered a new one from nissan at $269(OUCH!!!) but have to wait until Thursday to get it.

Is there any way I can unlock the rear diff so I can drive it with out scrubbing the rear tyres out or breaking something mechanical?

Your saged advice is welcomed.

Hooroo

Rob...toowoomba