PDA

View Full Version : Master cylinder flare nuts on GQ Patrol/Maverick

soulburner2000
25th March 2013, 11:01 PM
Hi, I have a problem with the flare nuts which connect the hydraulic lines to the brake master cylinder.

One nut is quite badly 'rounded'/stripped (way I found it) so I've left that alone for now - the other is fine but will not budge, even with the flare nut spanner. Sprayed it with RP7, didn't budge- sprayed it with 'freeze and release' (probably shouldn't have, but was getting p'ed off), and still wouldn't budge.

I then closed the bonnet and walked away before I did some damage. The 2nd nut is still good.

So,

1. anybody got any ideas on how I should get the stripped nut loosened off? If I use vice grips it will total the nut and I don't want to have to replace it or any pipe if I don't have to.

2. same question as above but on a good nut, which is determined not to 'play ball'. They're not reverse thread, are they? They don't appear to be.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

pearcey
26th March 2013, 08:42 AM
There is a special pair of vice grips for nuts which will not damage the nut, it will work on the good nut.
For the damaged nut use a pair of good vice grips but when you go to undo the nut give them a slight tap to jar the nut loose
All the threads are right handed

soulburner2000
26th March 2013, 12:53 PM
I got them eventually.

Vice grips on the rounded nut - it won't look pretty but should go back in ok.

A wire brush, plenty of penetrating spray, some light tapping and jiggling, and time to cool (myself) off was all it took.

Saved the 2nd nut, no damage.

Master and booster now off.