PDA

View Full Version : Does diesel fuel go off?

Gerry
25th March 2013, 12:12 PM
The diesel in my GU has been sitting in the tank for about 6 months, does it go off? May be this is causing my white smoke.

lorrieandjas
25th March 2013, 12:21 PM
Hi Gerry - diesel can definitely "go off" - however it should be longer than 6 months. Basically what will happen is that sludge and debris will build up in the bottom of the tank which can lead to clogged lines, etc. Not unheard of - but I would think you would be blowing black smoke rather than white. Easy way to tell is to dump the tank and refill. Take her for a good run and fill again. Any other issues with the car?

Jas

Tank
25th March 2013, 12:36 PM
Condensation can build up in any fuel tank if it is left to sit and there is an air space.

Gerry
25th March 2013, 09:33 PM
If the fuel pump is not timed properly (if the cam belt is out 1 notch) would this cause it to blow white smoke?

Dominator
25th March 2013, 10:55 PM
What engine have you got? ZD30 is chain driven and TD42 is gear driven.

Edit: Forgot RD28 is belt driven. If it is a 2.8 maybe remove the timing belt cover and see if the timing marks line up.

Gerry
26th March 2013, 09:24 PM
I have advanced injector pump 1 notch on the timing belt and that seems to make the thing run heaps better. Reduced the white smoke and now runs smooth. Is this a problem if the injector pump is advanced more then standard?

Dominator
27th March 2013, 07:23 AM
I believe if you advance the IP too much you will get diesel knock and it will sound rattly at idle. So if it sounds an runs ok than it should be sweet.

oilpond
28th March 2013, 07:02 PM
NO! But go buy 15bux of woolies engine oil and pour in the fuel to smooth things out...

Gerry
3rd April 2013, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I need to replace the glow plug is my GU 2.8 Turbo Diesel. It getting hard to start in the mornings and seems to fire up on 2 or 3 cylinders. What are the best glow plugs to buy and were are they available and what sort of money are they worth? (I've heard there are some crap plugs out there)

Dominator
3rd April 2013, 05:03 PM
Bosch make pretty good glow plugs. I believe they are around $150 for a set of 6.