PDA

View Full Version : Tb42 revving high after backfire

Marti
24th March 2013, 04:51 PM
Hello

My patrol has started to idle high, it back fired on fuel last night, and since then it holdes 1800-2000 rpm all the time got or cold. Started it up this morning and it holds 1200-1800rpm and won't go down after warming up.
What could this be and is there a solution, from what iv read the tb42 has a few problems with the auto choke ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you for your time

Marti

Cuppa
24th March 2013, 06:22 PM
Have no idea if this will apply to a Patrol, but a few years ago I had the same thing happen to a Ford XF efi wagon I had running on gas. What had occurred was that the back fire had distorted some sort of 'flap' in the air box. A new air box was going to cost an arm & a leg, but a local bloke managed to tweak the existing flap & solved the problem.

GQ TANK
25th March 2013, 11:49 PM
Is it a carby or efi motor

is it dual feul and the idle is high in LPG? - possible blown mixer

Airstrike
26th March 2013, 06:14 AM
Hi mate sorry to hear. I had the same issue with a TB42E big enough to dent my bonnet from debris. When this happen the car went into survival mode with the base idle at 2k. It ended up being the MAF.

tip it tap it slap it

taslucas
26th March 2013, 08:13 AM
Yeah as said above, a backfire can damage parts of the fuel system. I reckon it would be worth checking for any distortions in the butterflies or airbox area. Also look for any leaks that may be letting air in.

FanTapstic!

Marti
26th March 2013, 10:39 AM
It is a carby, idles same on fuel as it does gas, no flaps or visible damage anywhere, I pulle the auto choke apart and cleaned it, still idles high, on my way home 20 mins into my drive it settled back to normal ish idle, fuck knows whays happened. Ill look at the throttle butterfly's today and see if
Anything going on there

GQ TANK
26th March 2013, 11:53 PM
I might have jammed the fast idle cam in the wrong position (its the white thing on the side of the carby below the autochoke.)

Marti
27th March 2013, 01:43 AM
Ok anything I can do to rectify the problem

Airstrike
28th March 2013, 04:47 AM
I might have jammed the fast idle cam in the wrong position (its the white thing on the side of the carby below the autochoke.)

Sorry mate carby not for me I sincerely hope its an inexpensive fix.

davo94
28th March 2013, 10:18 AM

Mine loves to do this.

Simple fix just a PITA to get to.

Marti
1st April 2013, 02:44 PM
What's the easy fix

Happy Gilmour
12th February 2015, 11:44 AM
I get this all the time usually in winter, I just check my vacuum hoses and redo the timing (quite often replace the points as well)

threedogs
12th February 2015, 12:20 PM
It will back fire for a number of reasons , an air leak in the system, even running too lean.
When it happened to me small pice of venturi melted off the carbie and jammed under the butterfly
not allowing the carbie to idle