PDA

View Full Version : Map and Compass

NP99
24th March 2013, 01:38 AM
Just wondering what the skill set is with paper map and compass. I've been doing it for over 30 years and often run into hunters and 4wd's who are not confident or lack the skill set.

It should be something we all can do when outdoors.

Bulbous
24th March 2013, 03:09 AM
It's one of those things that once learnt is never forgotten, but I wonder if anyone is learning now since GPS is just so easy and convenient.
My Galaxy Note 2 with Orux Maps can give my Garmin GPS (Oregon) a run for it's money on performance.

NP99
24th March 2013, 02:57 PM
At least 4 of us won't get lost when we revert back to paper :)

NissanGQ4.2
24th March 2013, 03:12 PM
I don't no my left from right, don't know north from south, east from west and if my GPS ever died I walk around in circles till I ran out of beer then I would just curl up in a ball an die. I'm amazed that I even make it to and from work everyday without my gps, 3 roads I have to travel on and all of 5 mins driving!!!!!!.............Sad but true

megatexture
24th March 2013, 03:23 PM
I've only done what I learnt in P.E at school and self taught the rest but I would trust my life with what I know but prefer the ease of electronic mapping

lorrieandjas
24th March 2013, 05:03 PM
I learnt the lost art of navigation flying planes and sailing offshore. To be honest depending on what/where you are navigating they are all very different in practice even though the theory is the same. One of the biggest mistakes I see often in navs is that they forget to sanity check things. For example - if you think you are heading in a certain direction - roughly where should the sun be? Are you really heading in the right direction?

Jas

NissanGQ4.2
24th March 2013, 05:13 PM
if you think you are heading in a certain direction - roughly where should the sun be? Are you really heading in the right direction?

What happens if its night time??? Does that mean I'm aloud to get lost when the sun goes down???

lorrieandjas
24th March 2013, 05:15 PM
What happens if its night time??? Does that mean I'm aloud to get lost when the sun goes down???

You should be drinking beer!

Jas

NissanGQ4.2
24th March 2013, 05:20 PM
You should be drinking beer!

Jas

I currently am :) now answer your PM *L*

lorrieandjas
24th March 2013, 05:22 PM
Oops. I meant to. I think I have a few lying around work. I'll let you know tomorrow mate.

Jas

NP99
24th March 2013, 06:21 PM
I learnt the lost art of navigation flying planes and sailing offshore. To be honest depending on what/where you are navigating they are all very different in practice even though the theory is the same. One of the biggest mistakes I see often in navs is that they forget to sanity check things. For example - if you think you are heading in a certain direction - roughly where should the sun be? Are you really heading in the right direction?

Jas

I find it easier working with mgrs and mils rather than lat/long and degrees. Damn this round earth, it was so much easier when it was flat :)

NissanGQ4.2
24th March 2013, 06:23 PM
Damn this round earth, it was so much easier when it was flat :)

It is flat!!!!!! and don't believe anyone else that tries to tell you anything different!

P.S: Thanks Jas

NP99
24th March 2013, 06:27 PM
It is flat!!!!!! and don't believe anyone else that tries to tell you anything different!

P.S: Thanks Jas

That's why I don't take my boat too far East from Bribie Island!

NP99
25th March 2013, 09:43 AM
Any of the qld guys need refresher in nav, happy to help.

rusty_nail
25th March 2013, 11:06 AM
been along time since i used one, but im pretty sure i can remember the basics

Dhuck
25th March 2013, 11:22 AM
When I was a young fella, I used to have to use this skill set in Scouts and Orienteering. GPS wasn't even available to civilians. Let alone ADF using it back then.

Tank
25th March 2013, 12:06 PM
Map and ompass work is one of things that it pays to keep working on. The rule of 3's is a good one to remember: 3 things you have been passed that tell you where you came from, 3 things that tell you why you are here now and then 3 things that you will come across in the near future to confirm where you were. Works a treat for self checking

Maxhead
25th March 2013, 01:03 PM
I can get around with compass and map with ease. Some of the more advanced techniques I might struggle with but I will always get out of trouble if needed.

NP99
25th March 2013, 01:36 PM
I spoke to one of the local dog shooters and he said he struggled with basic points of the compass, couldn't read a map but could only use a GPS in his rig!

outback
15th April 2013, 07:37 PM
Just wondering what the skill set is with paper map and compass. I've been doing it for over 30 years and often run into hunters and 4wd's who are not confident or lack the skill set.

It should be something we all can do when outdoors.

Before i did the vote thing only 10 say they are confident with map and compass and only 14 members voted. Not really looking good as it either means most dont see this as a relivent issue or dont want the sad truth let be known paper maps scare them.

Navigation with paper and GPS should be part and parcle of ALL basic 4x4 driving courses.

Ok rant over.

Actually to be honest i am happier with paper than a GPS unit in the outdoors. In cities as i get lost there very fast must admitt GPS is my saviour., also good for speed limits on city roads.

I still prefer mils vs degrees but adaption is the name of the game

NOTE:
Anyone in the iron triangle want a refresher or learn how to use a map compass give me a contact.

NP99
15th April 2013, 09:43 PM
Before i did the vote thing only 10 say they are confident with map and compass and only 14 members voted. Not really looking good as it either means most dont see this as a relivent issue or dont want the sad truth let be known paper maps scare them.

Navigation with paper and GPS should be part and parcle of ALL basic 4x4 driving courses.

Ok rant over.

Actually to be honest i am happier with paper than a GPS unit in the outdoors. In cities as i get lost there very fast must admitt GPS is my saviour., also good for speed limits on city roads.

I still prefer mils vs degrees but adaption is the name of the game

NOTE:
Anyone in the iron triangle want a refresher or learn how to use a map compass give me a contact.

I agree, prefer mils over degrees......

outback
15th April 2013, 10:19 PM
I agree, prefer mils over degrees......

Yep old habits never die.
I ended up making a conversion chart degs to mils and reverse so i could use my mils compass and protractor.

You still have one of the old white rectangular protractors with the middle cutout or a flashy clear half round one with RAA written on it?