PDA

View Full Version : Manual box in an auto and can't get it to start

Matty13
23rd March 2013, 09:34 PM
Hey guys. I've recently done a auto to manual transplant and now I can't get it started. I'm sure people have done it and if anyone knows what to do and could tell me would be sweet. When I turn the key nothing happenes. I crossed the polarities on the starter motor and it spins but it doesn't spit out the ring gear to turn the motor over. Why would this be ? If anyone could help would be great. Cheers

Lieney
23rd March 2013, 09:37 PM
An auto usually has a transmission interlock switch so it will only start in neutral or park.
Check that, if you have just converted to manual.
Depending on which terminals you short on the solenoid, it can spin, throw in, or throw and turn.
Do the dash lights come on?
Do any electricals work
Is it like normal but nothing when you turn the switch?

Matty13
23rd March 2013, 09:39 PM
Yeah I've got all dash lights but when I turn to start there's nothing. What can I check on the interlock switch ?

Benno7
23rd March 2013, 09:54 PM
What you need to do is Find the plug that went to the inhibitor switch and join the wires together and then you will have happy times.

Dominator
23rd March 2013, 10:22 PM
As above. It will be due to the inhibitor switch. Either connect the inhibitor switch back up and sit it in the P or N position or join the green wire with a orange trace to the white wire and see how that goes.

The inhibitor switch is manipulated by the gear lever. You probably pulled it out accidentally. I am not sure where it is mounted but I would assume somewhere on the gearbox near the input from the selector. The wire colours on the plug should be green/orange, white/blue, green/white, white, brown/white, green, green/black.

Hope that helps mate.

Matty13
23rd March 2013, 10:22 PM
I'm looking but can't find it. What's it look like. ? Is it a plug ? I've tried crossing all the wires over and nothing

Matty13
23rd March 2013, 10:36 PM
So your saying to just plug the gear shifter back in and see what happenes ? There is a trans loom that has a plug coming off half way and 2 plugs at the end. But the manual one has a larger plug on it. And on the manual gearbox there is a plug at the top. What is this for.

Dominator
23rd March 2013, 10:41 PM
Yes, plug the shifter back in and make sure it is in P and see if it starts the. I would guess the plug on the manual is for reverse light signal.

Yendor
23rd March 2013, 10:42 PM
There is a start relay in the relay panel beside the battery you will need to bypass.

Matty13
23rd March 2013, 10:43 PM
What's the name of the start relay ? There's 4 wires going into it. Ill give that a go tomorro and see if it works.

Yendor
23rd March 2013, 10:46 PM
Inhibitor relay.

Just remove the relay and with some wire join the large 2 wires together.

Yendor
23rd March 2013, 10:48 PM
The wire colours should be Black with a Yellow trace for both of them.

Yendor
24th March 2013, 03:29 PM
Did you find this relay and bridge the two large Black with a Yellow trace wires together?

Have you checked the wiring at the stater and made sure you have connected the Black wire with a Yellow trace to the starter motor solenoid. The small connector terminal.

Matty13
24th March 2013, 07:57 PM
I've connected the inhibitor wires together today and when I turn the key I get a buzzing noise coming from the relay. I can't seem to find any other wires to touch together and she still won't start. Anymore ideas or things I have to do. Am I missing anything ? Help please !

Yendor
24th March 2013, 08:06 PM
Did you bypass the relay as I have said?

Matty13
24th March 2013, 08:57 PM
I've tried the relay. All the wires are the same size and witch relay are you talking about ? All starter motor wires are on that's why I can't think of anything else.

Yendor
24th March 2013, 09:07 PM
The inhibitor relay, you will find it under the metal panel beside the battery.

Is should be the blue relay that is mounted on the inner guard closest to the the driver side headlight.

The relay will have 4 wires going to it

A small Brown wire

A small White wire

and the two larger Black with a Yellow trace wire.

Remove the relay and join both the Black and Yellow trace wires together.

Matty13
24th March 2013, 10:27 PM
Mate I've just gone down the back and tried that and bingo she starts. I really appreciate your help yendor ! Thanks heaps

Yendor
25th March 2013, 06:18 PM
Mate I've just gone down the back and tried that and bingo she starts. I really appreciate your help yendor ! Thanks heaps

No worries mate, glad I could help.

rottodiver
25th March 2013, 10:30 PM
There are very few people in this world that openly help and provide advice(for free) like you do yendor... I take my hat to you...

90mav
4th April 2013, 03:46 PM
If you look at the plugs which were attached to the auto loom a grey plug should have two wires only (orange and black wires). These need to be cut and joined together to defeat the starter isolator.
The plug in the top of ther gearbox is the reverse light switch whic needs to be attached to two wires in the auto loom (green/white and green/orange) to make reverse lights work.
You shouldnt need to touch the relays near the battery.

Yendor
4th April 2013, 04:10 PM
If you look at the plugs which were attached to the auto loom a grey plug should have two wires only (orange and black wires). These need to be cut and joined together to defeat the starter isolator.
The plug in the top of ther gearbox is the reverse light switch whic needs to be attached to two wires in the auto loom (green/white and green/orange) to make reverse lights work.
You shouldnt need to touch the relays near the battery.

Sorry that is incorrect. The reason why the relay is there is to take the starter motor load away from the inhibitor switch.

When you joins those wires (should be a white and black wire) you will cause that relay to stay on the whole time the ignition is on.

So you will have a relay on that does nothing.

The relay needs to be bypassed.

90mav
12th April 2013, 04:47 PM
I stand corrected...It works though!