PDA

View Full Version : WINCHES DISCUSSION, whats the best value for money?

Royce
22nd March 2013, 09:00 PM
firstly, sorry if this is the wrong spot for this thread, as some of you are aware im new so i apologise.

Gday everyone, ive just spent the last half of my shift reading 4WD Camping magazine, and they have what seems to be a pretty good deal on steel so to speak.

Tigerz11 have a this deal going - 1200lb 12v with 30m dyneema rope
http://www.tigerz11.com.au/shop-by-new-best/specials/grande-12000lb-winch-dyneema-12v.html

they also have this little bag of goodies as well
http://www.tigerz11.com.au/shop-by-new-best/specials/recovery-kit-tested-extra.html

im just wondering is this a competitive price and a decent product or is it just cheep because its rubbish?

as i said im new, and some words of wisdom and some advice from the community would be awesome, maybe turn this into an info thread for all winches, not just the Tigerz11 advertised.

i will be mounting it to a XROX bull bar on my 2003 GU series III ST if that makes a difference at all?

MudRunnerTD
22nd March 2013, 09:09 PM
Firstly their "Special Price" is their List price mate, they have Never sold that winch as the RRP! Its been on special for as long as i remember them selling it.

2. 4WD Action Own TigerzII and have a vested interest in the product.

3.Have a good search here and all over the Internet about TigerzII as their product and their Customer Service has left allot to be desired over the last 18months

Keep Shopping at this stage.

Swampy
22nd March 2013, 09:12 PM
Hey Scotty, I'm chasing a winch cable can I have that 1, hahaha

Royce
22nd March 2013, 09:17 PM
sweet, ill put the credit card back away and wait for everyone to start weighing in. and then get something that everyone seems to be happy with and good serviceable parts ect.

Swampy
22nd March 2013, 09:19 PM
No dramas, can I borrow your trailer then! While your there I have heaps of rubbish you can throw in it.

Swampy
22nd March 2013, 09:21 PM
But of a problem my "gu" isn't going anywhere at the moment, dam electric's

Royce
22nd March 2013, 09:30 PM
your going off topic...

Can any winch run the dyneema (spectra) line, or is it a case of its spooled with cable so it runs better if its got cable? i ask this because i've seen what wire cables under tension can do when they part, and its really not a pretty site.

Swampy
22nd March 2013, 09:35 PM
Sorry!!

Any winch can run rope and to be honest that is the way to go, it's lighter to handle, does not kink, it will still do damage if it breaks but compared to wire rope it's a lot safer.

Irish
22nd March 2013, 09:39 PM
Not every winch can run rope, as far as I know. If the winch brake is in the drum it can be too hot for the rope.

Royce
22nd March 2013, 09:39 PM
and also how many pound winch should i be running? what does everyone else have?

MudRunnerTD
22nd March 2013, 09:45 PM
Not every winch can run rope, as far as I know. If the winch brake is in the drum it can be too hot for the rope.

Most LOW MOUNT winches have an internal Drum brake that gets very hot in certain situations and can be a killer of a Dyneema Rope. It is fairly easy to manage though ;)

The only time that the internal Drum brake is engaged is when the winch is stopped (does not get hot) and when you WINCH OUT. If you use your free spool to pull the cable out rather than Winch out using the winch motor you should have little drama fitting a synthetic rope to any winch.

Royce
22nd March 2013, 09:46 PM

hey Irish, just came across this while perusing some winches,
http://www.kulkyne.com/au/T-Max-10000lb-Plasma.html#technical
it seems to have an automatic "in drum" braking system but still running rope, and in my experience, heat doesn't affect the integrity of this style of rope, it suffers allot from friction though.

Royce
22nd March 2013, 09:57 PM
http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Warn-Winch-12-0XE-12000lb.html#info

this one looks pretty snazzy. seems to be a smart design, with cooling fan, and a mechanical cone brake.

just one more question, whats the differance between 12, and 24 volt, and what are the pros and cons between them?

04OFF
23rd March 2013, 12:46 AM
Now im afraid i have to go against the grain just a little here, i have the cheaper hercules Tigerz winch, it got me out of 2 nasty beach situations about 12 months ago, and at just over $400, it paid for itself easy , i left the winch uncovered outside for over 7 months, then pulled it apart for inspection, it looked really good inside.

The guts of the Tigerz winch looked no more prone to failure than some of the name brand winches ive had apart to fix, and im very happy to put it back on my car,(i too have a XROX bar) and i have even more faith in the winch after looking inside.

At the time i bought my winch, Tigerz customer service/people skills was quite awfull, every question i asked (all polite) was taken as a aggressive "dig" at the product, and so the responce i recieved was less than helpful, so if thats how you get treated when they are tying to sell you something, i can only imagine how you get treated if you do have a "problem" ?

Tigerz now have some retail stores you can go and talk to in person (ive not been in one), perhaps this may be a little more pleasant way to buy, and if they service the warranty, it may be worth having a look at Tigerz ?

Im going to buy a Tigerz roof basket next, i was going to get one from this cool mob called GSC, but apparently they don't sell roof baskets !

:harhar:

megatexture
23rd March 2013, 01:24 AM
I've got a tabor 9k winch ( made by warn) and it has coped a flogging the only issue I had was snapping off the free spool knob but I just replaced it with a warn 9k winch knob as its a better designed knob and easier to hold and turn .

phelonius
23rd March 2013, 08:19 AM
I've got a tabor 9k winch ( made by warn) and it has coped a flogging the only issue I had was snapping off the free spool knob but I just replaced it with a warn 9k winch knob as its a better designed knob and easier to hold and turn .

Any problems with it? i'm thinking about getting one.

Irish
23rd March 2013, 03:08 PM
I have a Tigerz Hercules winch, it works great.

megatexture
23rd March 2013, 03:21 PM
No mate no issues to date had it 3.5 years and hasn't missed a beat only the knob and that only snapped off because I packed to much grease in it the first time I serviced it but upgrading to the warn9k knob is easier operation if you plan on using it regularly. I would buy one again

Lewy
23rd March 2013, 04:12 PM
I have the Avenger 9.5 winch on my GU and I can say it works a treat!! It also runs a external brake so the rope does not heat up!! And IMO its the best value for quality winch on the market!!

Lewy..

robbo0001
23rd March 2013, 04:24 PM
Tigers 12000 pound Grande....used about 25 times since July 2012, hasnt missed a beat yet.
I do my maintenace, and it gets cycled once a week in/out about 10 metres, while having a beer.
The thing was cheap, and it does what its meant to, pretty well.

I'm happy with it.

GQ TANK
23rd March 2013, 10:03 PM
I have a supercheap ridge rider 9500 - payed $300 on the 2012 boxing day sales. ( they ualy have them Half price on box day PLUS they do laybys if you dont have the $$$$ on hand.

I have used it 8 times and its been fine -

The mounting brackets for the contol box is flimsy - I relocted the conterol box under the bonnet so was not an issue.

Royce
23rd March 2013, 10:41 PM
thanks everyone for the feedback.

Lewy
24th March 2013, 09:38 AM
Here is a battle of the winches article you might enjoy a read of!

http://www.avenger4x4.com.au/library/4WD159036-054FEATURE_WinchComparo.pdf

NP99
24th March 2013, 11:29 AM
thanks everyone for the feedback.

As you have read, Tigerz is not all bad. I'm guessing most of the neg reports come from those that don't own/use one.

Dominator
24th March 2013, 12:02 PM
As you have read, Tigerz is not all bad. I'm guessing most of the neg reports come from those that don't own/use one.

I think Tigerz is no worse quality wise than any other cheap Chinese stuff you buy. From what I have see and heard (this is not personal experience) people have had issues with after sales service/warranty.

Royce
24th March 2013, 12:03 PM
Cheers lewy, will have a read on my lunch break!

gaddy
24th March 2013, 01:50 PM
I have a tirfer hand winch, heavy as , hard work , but reliable as , makes you think about what you are doing , because if you get stuck your going to get a better workout then any gym !!!

Gaddy

NP99
24th March 2013, 01:53 PM
I think Tigerz is no worse quality wise than any other cheap Chinese stuff you buy. From what I have see and heard (this is not personal experience) people have had issues with after sales service/warranty.

Agreed, but I think the main issue has been the solenoid. It has a warranty of 3 months but the winch has 3 years if serviced annually. I think Tigerz entering the market was a good thing. It keeps over priced gear competitive. Some of the big players are made in China too.

mudnut
24th March 2013, 06:30 PM
Just finished reading the battle of the winches, because after I get good tyres, I will be looking for a good winch and cradle. Having back probs, I use a winch heaps, for re positioning logs, moving trailers, loading the trailer, etc. I have a small German built 500kg winch at the moment for the small jobs. The price difference was unbelievable. (Almost like paying for name brand shoes.) The testers really liked the avenger, value for money.

Tank
24th March 2013, 07:43 PM
Do any of you folks run PTO winches on your GQ's? They are quite common over here and now I have one I wouldn't go back to electric. The big advantage with PTO I find is that it can work all day non stop and your batteries don't take a hammering

mudnut
25th March 2013, 06:17 PM
I spent a bit of time reading the Special Equipment section. The PTO winch looks very tough. I also see that there was a Nissan electric Winch. What are they like?

Tank
25th March 2013, 07:28 PM
A lot of the Y60 Safari's that were imported to NZ came with a winch on them the autos had electric ones and unless I am mistaken they were a rebadged Warn 9000lb 24v a mate of mine runs one and its a good winch but my PTO winch eats it every day.
All the safari's over here (GQ's in Australia) are 24volt and yet again unless I am mistaken the 24volt thing was the result of a military spec

Drewboyaus
25th March 2013, 10:05 PM
The Avenger is pretty good value but I'll be putting one of the Mean Mother Boss 9500lb winches on mine when the time comes (soon), probably with rope but perhaps with cable as it goes a bit better in rocky conditions. Lifetime warranty is a big statement on their product!

04OFF
25th March 2013, 10:22 PM
I'll be putting one of the Mean Mother Boss 9500lb winches on mine when the time comes (soon) Lifetime warranty is a big statement on their product!

Just had a quick look, not too bad, do you know what is the warranty on water ingress , as id say that would be one of the biggest winch killers, and i wonder if the Armature is classed as electrical, as what i read said only 2 years on electrical ?

Drewboyaus
25th March 2013, 10:50 PM
I had a quick read of the warranty and didn't immediately see anything referring to water and voided warranties. It talks about normal use etc. Have heard that they're well sealed out of the box and the 9500lb rating is actually a SWL rating (unlike all others). The winch itself is actually a 12000lb-er.....

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

mudnut
27th March 2013, 12:14 PM
I thought anything under 12000 lb (5440kg) would be light weight for a patrol. After I got back from Mt Gambier I hooked my camper trailer up and went to the local tip to get the thing weighed. 94' rb30 with stock suspension and tyres, 1/2 tank of juice, with me (fat rrrrs) and loaded trailer was 2800 kg. The vehicle is 2160kg, give or take 20kg (accuracy according to the operator) With a loaded vehicle, (passengers out for safety) the winch would be hauling over 3100kg. Add in the other factors as discussed earlier and that's a huge ask for any winch. Wow, its doing my head in.

Dominator
27th March 2013, 01:48 PM
People that use 9500lb winches on a patrol, especially if you have a camper in tow, will use a snatch block. Doubles the stall strength of your winch but halves the pulling speed.

Does anyone have any experience on the Runva winches. I have seen RoadRunner supply the 11XP (11000lb) with rope for $700. They come with lifetime mechanical warranty and 5 year electrical warranty, ie. motor, solenoid etc. I have heard Runva winches are good quality. They must be pretty good if they have lifetime warranty.