PDA

View Full Version : Living On The Road

BigRAWesty
22nd March 2013, 02:46 PM
Not to derail Cuppas camper thread i thought id start a new one..

Now to continue, the wife once joked about packing up and just going.. Hit the road, travelling for work and enjoying what this country has to offer. But also scoping this island for a possible nesting place..

Well im getting pretty serious about it. Our 2 girls are 2 years and 5 months so a while off of school yet. We have 2 cars, so selling both and buying 1 good patrol is the way to go.
Work for me is not an issue, i have a cert 2 in agriculture, boilermaker trade, riggers, ewp, confined space entry, construction, fork lift...... etc... So i think we'll be safe..

Our big one is the house we own.. At a guess maybe $30,000 equity in it.. I recon sell as we have a safety net in my parents. i was 1 of 4 kids who have all moved out of the family home so its big and empty.. But it would be nice to hold onto it and rent.. Its alot of overhead costs though..
(Feel free to throw up some thoughts)

Im basically doing this thread asking how was your working holidays. was it stressful? easy? hard? WORTH IT?

i think atm were throwing around hitting the east coast.. I like this idea as there is allot of work going on threw out. and allot of cool places to see and do..

so yea, share stories, thoughts, how you did it..

CONVINCE MY WIFE....:bigthumbup:

macca86
22nd March 2013, 02:51 PM
If you have the chance do it now we are looking at selling up in Brisbane buy 96 acres in stanthorpe. Near our family farm put family cattle on it to pay for rates and travel. Sell the cars the house buy a set up rig travel no over heads explore you only regret the things you don't do and learn from the things you do

andrewh
22nd March 2013, 03:03 PM
Sounds like you've got the skills to pick up work which is always the challenge on a 'working holiday'.

We did 6 mths non-working and I'd do it again a heartbeat. You can live cheap on the road and your kids are young enough to not have to worry about schooling much. We lived on $750/week in 2009 and that included food, fuel, accom and having fun. It is actually more expensive to live at home!

The house... Tough one - once you sell it can be very hard to get back in, but you might not want to come back to it after it has been rented too. We let friends look after ours and didn't make any $$. We looked at getting agents to rent it but by the time we had done the sums it just wasn't worth it

BigRAWesty
22nd March 2013, 03:24 PM
The wife's sister is a possible renter. Butt that's still $300 short a month on repayments alone. Without rates included.
So I see the only option is to sell. But I'm happy with that.. I'm after a clean start.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

macca86
22nd March 2013, 03:34 PM
Sell sell sell haha plenty of time to purchase another house.

Cuppa
22nd March 2013, 04:07 PM
Stressful? - any new direction is likely to have some stress associated with it.
Worth it? - If it it what you dream of - Absolutely!

Some random thoughts:
Consider something different to a Patrol. For example, for what a decked out Patrol would cost you, you could pick up a decked out small bus & be a lot more comfortable. this may suit another family members more than tenting it, but would restrict where you can go. However high ground clearance will get you to a lot of places, & you can always hire a 4wd for special trips ...... Or tow a Suzi or similar 4x4. Of course you can tow a caravan with a Patrol too, but this will also restrict where you can go.

The east coast is the busiest & most expensive section of the country.

Plenty of work available in outback towns for qualified folk. You probably have a better idea of what work is available for you up the east coast. Be careful that you don't end up travelling to work. Working to travel is the aim. No good giving up the comfort of your home just to work somewhere else living in a caravan park. Gotta find the right balance.

Selling the house. This is one that many grapple with. It's not just the equity, it's the sense of security owning a home gives. The main issue with selling is the risk that house prices will rise & subsequently you are unable to afford to get back into the market. My view is that this not very likely over the next few years as the GFC continues to bite. Everyone's circumstances are different, but with 30,000 equity in your home you are near the beginning of your home owning journey. If it were me I would first consider if it were possible to rent it out & have the rent cover the repayments (with a bit of savings to cover non payment of rent for a month or two), but this has potential ongoing hassle & stress associated with it. One factor though is that you do have alternative accommodation at your parent's should you have to come home prematurely for any reason, which gives you a bit more flexibility.

Selling is probably also a reasonable option if you can put the money you sell it for aside & not use it to fund your travel. It would give you a deposit on another home in most parts of the country, & it is quite possible that if the GFC bites that house prices will fall. It is also possible that you will find living on the road cheaper than living at home, particularly if you are not paying rtes, insurance etc etc, & free camping, house sitting etc as much as possible. It is not out of the question that if you are able to work in outback towns that you might earn more, allowing you to add to what you sell your house for, whilst travelling at the same time.

If the house is sold it allows for much free'er travelling if the emotional cost is not too high. Most of us live with far more than we need. Living on the road teaches you how little we need to live, and enjoy life.

Unless you are very brave I would not advise selling up & funding travel with the proceeds, especially not until you know the lifestyle suits you all. It's fair to say it's not for everyone. Most I have known who it hasn't suited are folks, usually one of a couple, who have particularly close ties with family & friends, & find it difficult not having the regular face to face contact. I know of a number of couples who compromise by taking 3 month or less trips, come back home for a similar period & then off again. Potentially you have your parent's place to return to if your wife is someone with such close ties.

Although common sense, it's worth saying - it is absolutely essential that the needs of everyone is accounted for in whatever plans are made. To not do this only leads to breakdown & failure. I have also known a couple where one partner took responsibility for everything, happily setting themselves up with all the camping gear etc etc, whilst the other partner just went along with it all. 3 months or so into their trip they had an almighty blue, & split up. She hated life under canvas, couldn't stand the heat & the bugs etc etc. Communication is the key..... right from the planning stage.

We had a couple of times where one or the other of us threatened to walk away, but we now recognise that no matter how much planning, & how good the communication, there will be an adaptation period & a coming to terms with a life where much is unfamiliar each day. This is both the attraction & what is 'wearing' about travel. Having a 'home' to travel in helps this process enormously. Doesn't sound like much, but every new town is an unknown, where is the shop for this or that? etc etc. Having your own little familiar space with you where you can retreat to really helps to make everything easier.

Others might say more about travelling with young children. I haven't done it, but from those I know who have, all who have found ways of involving the children at all levels of the travel, would say that the kids had blossomed & family bonds have grown stronger. Those who have problems are the adults who only drag the kids along on their own adult adventure.

IMHO the key to successful long term travel is to slow down. Take your time. Smell the roses. This gets easier the longer you're out there. Sounds simple but it's not. We are all very conditioned to 'getting there'. Men are usually the worst offenders.

A simple aim for travel I learned was to find great camp spots, & to recognise them once found. Early during our trip I would often wish we had stopped somewhere for longer, there are heaps of camp spots, but the really great ones are fewer. It is often tempting to think the 'grass will be greener' further down the track. Learning to stop & appreciate where you are takes practice & is part of the slowing down process. I am certain that an aspect of MrsTea's initial reluctance to travel was because she feared my inability to relax & appreciate. Photography & fishing helped.

I could probably ramble on & on, but will shut up for now & see what others have to say. Hopefully somewhere in all this might be a helpful seed or two.

Cuppa

BigRAWesty
22nd March 2013, 04:33 PM
Keep going Cuppa, I'm going to write a book... :D

As for vehicle I guess well try what we have first. The car and camper setup..

The missus grew up roughing it off road right threw her childhood, but hasn't really left base. I up and moved 800 k when I was 18, so I'm not afraid if starting new.
I think what's ignited this covered Flame is what the father in-law said to me the other night. as my mum is very organised she trys to organise us when we venture up there, buts that's another story.. anyway he said, "aslong as you have your wife and 2 girls, you have everything.."

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

mudnut
22nd March 2013, 04:38 PM
On their big trip around Aus, my parents met a couple of families that had sold their homes and were living the good life. They did meet a couple who had done it, but the husband had been very sick. By the time they had got him right, they had used most of their capital to re-enter the housing market. Unfortunately they will now live in rented or temp accomodation for the rest of their lives. I personally know a family that had worked around the country, until their eldest daughter started high school. They loved it. So two sides of the coin to look at. I made the big move from city to country. I would have loved to just sell up and go, but it is just a day dream now.

jack
22nd March 2013, 04:49 PM
Hi Kallen,

My nephew http://www.livinontheroad.com.au/ rented out their house, they did have some issues so it's always a risk. There is always a risk with renting, just watch Current Affair or Today Tonight but you can always get good tenants. We've had more good than bad over the years. Before selling consider what capital gain you can get from the house, I don't know what Mount Gambier real-estate is like but consider how much the house will appreciate over a year. Only needs to increase by $3600 to cover the $300 per month shortfall, but then you have to have that each month. There are negative gearing provisions in the taxation system and you can claim the rates, interest, agent fees etc on tax provided you declare the rent. If you're not making a profit then it will effectively reduce your tax (please confirm with an accountant - this is not tax advice). If you move back into the house you can avoid paying capital gains tax (again get independent advice).
Also remember that if you do sell that houses will increase by this amount regardless, making it more expensive to purchase.
My nephew had more job offers than he could handle (he's a sparky) and I'm sure competent welders are in demand.

What ever you decide to do, all the best - follow your dreams.

pearcey
22nd March 2013, 04:50 PM
Some very wise words there Cuppa. I have a few friends who are on the road full time but each have different views as to the way you approach life on the road. My wife and I are in the planning stage at the moment and as Cuppa dose we research as much as possible.
As we own our home and have no debts at all we will be keeping our house as a base. We had friends who ran into some very large medical problems and as they had sold their home they are now renting for the rest of their days. There are quite a few blogs by people living the dream and you can learn a lot by the triumphs and mistakes written there. I for one am looking at a fifth wheel as they can provide a lot of comfort and space as this is some thing you may need with two young children I hope it all works out for you and i wish you the best for the future
Pearcey

Cuppa
22nd March 2013, 05:04 PM
As for vehicle I guess well try what we have first. The car and camper setup..

Makes sense. As long as that suits the misses you'll be right.

On work again, with the skills you have you'd be amazed at how in demand you would be in most of the small outback towns. Carry your tools, do a job that you pick up at the local watering hole for someone, & word spreads like wildfire. And they'll look after you too. The problem you'll have will be leaving town! They just can't get folk out to those places. We met a group of 3 enterprising young 20 year old blokes travelling around just doing house painting. Visit a town, put out the word, get some interest, return with paint a few weeks later to do the job. Had far more demand than they could meet. Same for anyone a bit handy & willing to have a go. It's a different world out there.

Cuppa

threedogs
22nd March 2013, 06:22 PM
x 2 with Cuppa being able to weld, a good knoweldge of plumbing, more a jack of all,
plus coming from Melb and playing AFL I could walk into any job I wanted.
Met some awesome ppl , and been to some strange and wonderful places as well.
Just sitting in the Birdsville Pub in 92 I could have had a back hoe ops job.
There are jobs everywhere some worth sticking around for, my wife wouldn't be in it
But I'd do it at the drop of a hat if I could.

NP99
22nd March 2013, 06:38 PM
Plus the tax man doesn't need to know about those welding jobs on the road!

Cuppa
22nd March 2013, 07:02 PM
the wife once joked about packing up and just going.......<big snip>.........CONVINCE MY WIFE.

It occurs to me that perhaps she doen't need convincing, she suggested it! Maybe all she needs is reassurance? (I think I was a bit like that, & in the end the two of us reassured each other).

Cuppa

Maxhead
22nd March 2013, 07:18 PM
Put a big sign on the car or caravan advertising your business, declare some of the work and enjoy some tax benefits like claiming for your diesel, maintenance, etc. Win win situation :)

BigRAWesty
22nd March 2013, 08:09 PM
Well you guys are basically saying what I'm thinking.. I don't think will be an issue..

It occurs to me that perhaps she doen't need convincing, she suggested it! Maybe all she needs is reassurance? (I think I was a bit like that, &amp; in the end the two of us reassured each other).

Cuppa

Spot on Cuppa. Its just making that jump that's the issue..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Stropp
23rd March 2013, 01:20 AM
Yeh Kallen, that's the thing MAKING the jump from the comfort zone to the unknown, when you do it I'm sure you will love it, I would try to keep the house for a start just to make sure you are ok with everything prior to selling, good luck mate and when you get to WA look us up. Also pm dark1 he is doing exactly what you want to do!

BigRAWesty
23rd March 2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. You have given us a lot to think about.. but...
Wifey said yes.. It was her idea to start with so this is awesome..
And you guys helped.. I left this thread open and she read threw it.. lol

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

happygu
23rd March 2013, 05:05 PM
Most people who do a trip like this say it was the best time of their lives, especially if you are all on the same page. However, I know of others who have gone for 12 months and been back in 9.....met one family on the road with a near teenage daughter who was as grumpy as about being away from home and not being with her friends.

My wife and I moved up to Alice Springs for two years, stayed for three, before my wife got itchy feet to come home to Melbourne.

The catalyst for me after talking through it for months with other people was the one person that asked me 'if you don't do it now, will you regret it for the rest of your life'.
That clinched the deal for me and we loved it
Mic

Cuppa
23rd March 2013, 05:33 PM
Wifey said yes.

Yeeehaaa! :D

Now that's decided you'll find your own way of doing it,
One thing however........ Do have some money put aside as an 'emergency kitty'. How much will depend on what suits you. For us we decided that we needed enough to cover the cost of our engine blowing up ( about the most expensive mechanical disaster I could imagine) & enough to get back home on a bus or plane if the wheels really fell off.

We did meet several folk who had hit hard times when travelling, & had no back up plan. These were folks who had suffered major mechanical breakdown, illl health etc, & had become financially 'marooned' in caravan parks, with no means of moving on, only able to continue to survive where they were as a 'permanent', often exploited by the park to supplement their government pension. The thought of being 'out there' with no choices would be a nightmare I reckon, but is reality for more than a few.

In 2008/9 we managed quite comfortably on an average weekly spend of $500 for the two of us. Some weeks as low as $300 others $700. This was for everything except fuel.
We had, over 5 years bought the bus, fitted it out & saved every dollar we could. We lived & breathed the forthcoming trip, it was all that mattered. We left our home in the care of friends house sitting for us, & with around $70,000 total in our funds, divided into 3 budgets. Living expenses, fuel, & emergency kitty. I worked out what I thought would be the maximum number of kilometres we might do, & put fuel money in a separate account. That way I didn't have to worry about fuel, I just used the card whenever I bought it, confident that we had enough to 'get round'. We did a bit over 45,000kms, had a new motor, alternator, & a couple of tyres fitted, were away for 18 months, didn't do any work, & arrived back home with $20,000 left.
However, we own our home, & were debt free, just a few standing orders to be paid which we had also saved for (including covering my wife's superannuation payments). These were not included in our travelling budget but meant we could travel freely without having to be concerned about bills back home.

There were folk out on the road spending far more than us to travel, & folk managing on a fair bit less. As a general rule the faster you travel, the more expensive it is, the more tiring it is & the least satisfying.
The travellers I recall being most impressed with were an elderly couple, both in their late 70’s, pulling a tiny 'L'il Nipper rear door caravan with a Subaru wagon, with a pair of kayaks on top. They were getting by on the age pension. Their style was to set up camp (had a little awning under which they spread out all their belongings, a place for everything) & would stay there until next pension day, when they could afford to travel a max of about 100kms. They used their mobile phone's daily free hour to catch up with all their travelling friends, & to arrange meet ups. They were having a ball & were the centre of activities around the camp. I asked them if they ever got a bit bored. "No dear, we did all the big ticket items years ago, now we just get out on the road for the social side of things, doesn't really matter where we are, as long as we're out here, & not sitting back home staring at four walls". They were on the road for 6 months of every year, squirreling away what they could of their pension whilst at home.
They knew more about & had seen more of Australia than anyone else I've met.

Cuppa

Lieney
23rd March 2013, 10:15 PM
I have had a career since 17, have a house, children and travelled a little with work.
My brother is a chef, has no career as such, house or children but has travelled all over the globe.
I once said to him, 'it would be nice to be in your shoes some times'.
He said exactly the same to me, and we realised quite obviously the grass is greener.....
The grass is always greener on the other side, but that's because it's watered.
No matter what you do, have a 'basic' plan A, B and a safety net if it all goes belly up. DO the research before you leave to see if you can line up anything on the road between this place and that. You might be surprised. Have a cut-off plan ($, date, kids school / care)
Ensure the kids and wife are happy. I'd be looking at a bigger style van, so you have those little comforts like toilet, running water and warm shower (even a hanging bag of sorts)
Have a home base (parents) for all your bills etc
Post pics on the forum
Oh yeah, and remember to water the lawn so it stays green in front of your travels.

Chris79
23rd March 2013, 10:40 PM
Not sure what its like over in SA but over here the estate agents take a hefty chunk when you decide to sell a property, combine that with stamps etc once you buy another when you get back and your talking a nice sum of $$$$. I would keep the house and rent it out.

My parents did a 6 month lap many years ago, they just short term rented out their place fully furnished. Everything surprizingly went smoothly even though the tenants had a big dog. But I would be picking tenants very carefully these days.

Cuppa
24th March 2013, 09:07 AM
In my late teens & early 20’s I did a fair bit of travelling around Europe, hitch hiking, sometimes working, until the money ran out, at which time I'd return home & get another job to save up so I could head off again. In reality I was never away for more than about 6 months, but the thing that was different was that in terms of time, the travels had no set beginning & end. This lack of time limit creates a totally different 'feel' to the travel, it is no longer a 'trip', but instead is a 'way of being'. Whilst our 'Big Trip' around Oz was without doubt the best thing, bar none, that I've ever done, it was certainly a trip. We had to be back by a certain date. It is the only regret I had. I recall the day we were halfway through the trip thinking sorrowfully that we were now on the the ever decreasing homeward leg even though we had many months left. Trips are better than not travelling, but I hope our future travels will not be trips. I remain envious of those folk out there who are working their way around for 'as long as it takes'. They stand on the green grass.

Cuppa

BigRAWesty
24th March 2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the input so far guys. Its a lot to discuss.
Were gathering our paperwork together first up and seeing a fincial panther (simpson's pun) and this will ultimately define our aim, or kill it once and all.. ;)

What we have discussed a few things. The housing market here mt g is buggered.. after the sa gruberment sold the 110 year lease to the local timber, which creates 80% of the local workforce the regions market has dropped already.. our house has dropped 10thou over the last year or so. Thus why rent won't cover repayments.

So yea sale is probably the way for us, and I with the farm we have a safe haven to fall back on and start again. So yer, were looking at probably mid next year if all goes to plan..
First up, financial panther...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

rotor138
24th March 2013, 07:37 PM
Have you thought about putting the house on interest only loan? It may sit there and pay for it's self using this option.

NP99
24th March 2013, 08:20 PM
Watch those financial planners mate........they look after no1 not you. We parked ours in cash at the moment.

BigRAWesty
24th March 2013, 09:13 PM
Have you thought about putting the house on interest only loan? It may sit there and pay for it's self using this option.

That is a good one. Hadn't thought of that.. thanks

Watch those financial planners mate........they look after no1 not you. We parked ours in cash at the moment.

Yes you have to careful. Were looking at debt clearing first, down sizing the falcon to a not so expensive new one, keeping the patrol for short trips in the mean time, quitting things like austar, etc.

Tell you what, the last few days I've been buzzin. Now that we have a new direction I'm hooking into unfinished jobs which I just couldn't be stuffed doing last week...
Lovin it..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

NP99
24th March 2013, 09:26 PM
That is a good one. Hadn't thought of that.. thanks

Yes you have to careful. Were looking at debt clearing first, down sizing the falcon to a not so expensive new one, keeping the patrol for short trips in the mean time, quitting things like austar, etc.

Tell you what, the last few days I've been buzzin. Now that we have a new direction I'm hooking into unfinished jobs which I just couldn't be stuffed doing last week...
Lovin it..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Good stuff :)

emm
24th March 2013, 09:39 PM
Best thing we ever did, rent out the house and travel with our 4 kids aged 9, 7, 5 and 3 in a Mitsubishi Delica towing a 1982 viscount grand tourer. Family allowance and rent covered the mortgage and we worked our way up the centre and west coast for a year. Big plug for the west coast: when else would you see it? It's absolutely magnificent. Best beaches in the world and who could go past karijini?? I'm sure you'll make the best decision for your family, so good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

BigRAWesty
14th April 2013, 09:59 AM
Well an update guys.. And another discussion point for you guys to throw around..
We've decided to part with the house. It was always our plan to "upgrade" as we have out grown this one. So both the wife and i are happy with the decision. As it stands we'll get around $50,000 in our hand once sold, and that's an realistic price.
We also have a nice lump sum in our bank atm which would cover a good size caravan, around 20 feet, or clear most our dept.
So we have come to the agreement that either way some of the house money will be used to get this trip going. And were ok with this as we have flogged our asses off to get in front and if it means we do something we really wanna do then were happy to use a small bit of it.
We have come to a figure of at least $35000 in the bank at the end of it all. The more the better. This will be put into a high interest account so hopefully turn a nice little profit and grow..

Now the options, As i mentioned we can go 2 ways.
1- The money we have now goes to a nice van. have found a few, all with ups and downs.
Both will need some mods to get to how we would like. Mine needs a full size annex instead of the roll out one, But has a bit of off road capability for those outback tracks we want to do..
Wifes has the annex, but looks pretty much black top only. A quick spring lift, but annex mods will be need.. Anyway, plenty of fish in the sea...

so, option 1 our atm cash goes onto a van, finish the house and sell. money from the house clears the debt, $35k into the bank.. inlaws have said we can setup at there joint for a little to really save and boost the safety net, and iron out any little creases.. and we'll be in the van

Option 2- clear our debt with cash we have now.. and get the van once our house is sold.

Im torn between the 2, if we get van now were effectively only waiting on the house to sell and were off..
If we clear debts its extra cash while waiting for house to sell, but then have a limited window to purchase a van.. and may have to settle for not quite what we want. We can't actually live with the inlaws, but the happy for us to be in there driveway..

So, thoughts..

Also as a side note, the wife has been reading the forum and threw this thread. She commends all you guys on the positive attitudes you all have and the advice that has been given. She posted the same sorta thing on a forum of hers and basically got good luck... :rolleyes: So thanks.

MC97GQ
14th April 2013, 10:57 AM
Good luck with it Kallen,

And if you head to the East Coast be sure to drop into Nimmitabel, for a beverage or two.

Mark

macca86
14th April 2013, 11:04 AM
Hi mate I would go with option 2. I wouldn't be able to live with the inlaws or my parents for that matter! Pay off the debts then reinvest the amount you would be paying into them into a high interest account while you wait for the house to sell. Keep looking at vans new or 2nd hand to save cash and give more of a safety net. Put a 15 to 30 day condition on the sale of your house so you can buy a van in that time and you can work the budget from the agreed sale price. Just my 2c worth it's what i'd do

Cuppa
14th April 2013, 11:15 AM
Hi Kallen,

A few thoughts.

Firstly the link to your choice of van doesn't work.

Regarding a full size annexe. Not trying to tell you what you need, but I would advise you that many many folk think they will need a full enclosed annexe & once on the road find that rarely or never use it. If you have room to sit inside when the weather is bad, or the mossies are biting you probably don't need one either. An awning is essential for shade & shelter though. Annexe walls are mainly only used by folk who stay put in one location for long periods (which may be your plan), but are a considerable weight & a PIA to put up. If you decide that a full annexe IS a necessity you should be able to pick one up that has had no, or little use for way less than new cost. A length of shade cloth across the front of the awning is a compromise that many use if extra privacy is needed, is much lighter, & cheaper & quicker & easier to put up.

Regarding whether to get the van first, or clear the debts first. Always good to get rid of debt....BUT ...... IF you are certain about what you are planning, getting the van first helps to cement things in place & gives you a sense of progression & commitment. IMHO it makes the dreams coming true seem a bit closer. It also gives you the opportunity to get the van how you want it based on a few 'shakedown' weekends etc away, as I can guarantee what you will think is important in the van will change once you have used it.

I would also advise that you take your time choosing a particular van. Join this forum (http://caravanersforum.com/) & ask heaps of questions. You will be better informed, plus will probably save yourself some money - it's a buyers market.

The smaller the van, the less it will restrict where you can go. Many national parks don't have drive through sites, making bigger vans a pain. There are also very few genuinely off road vans. Plenty say they are, but are really only suitable for reasonable gravel roads. Ground clearance, departure angles as well as general sturdiness conspire to make many so called 'off road' vans unsuitable for off road. IMHO the two choices are to either spend big bikkies on a genuine off road van, or to buy an older van whose owner has modified it over the years to survive the thousands of corrugated kilometres. The latter may not always be pretty, but will likely be dust proof & sturdy.

Good to hear that things are progressing. :)

Cuppa

BigRAWesty
14th April 2013, 11:20 AM
Good luck with it Kallen,

And if you head to the East Coast be sure to drop into Nimmitabel, for a beverage or two.

Mark

Funny you say that mark, will be heading east coast first we think, but it will depend on were we land work..

Hi mate I would go with option 2. I wouldn't be able to live with the inlaws or my parents for that matter! Pay off the debts then reinvest the amount you would be paying into them into a high interest account while you wait for the house to sell. Keep looking at vans new or 2nd hand to save cash and give more of a safety net. Put a 15 to 30 day condition on the sale of your house so you can buy a van in that time and you can work the budget from the agreed sale price. Just my 2c worth it's what i'd do

We were thinking extending the hand over, to give us a bit of room..
But it still means at hand over it'll be a quick buy as the cash is transfered on handover.

Ill also quickly add were still setting the patrol up and getting a good tent so we can hit the tracks on weekends and leave the caravan as a base..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

the evil twin
14th April 2013, 01:28 PM
FWIW I reckon Cuppa has a few gems of info in there.

Debt versus investment - it would need to be a cracking investment (read high risk) to return more than the $ you need to service the debt so 9 times out of 10 you would be better off clearing the debt... BUT... if it is more important logistically to get the van then, as Cuppa says, I would do so.

Van layout and inclusions - do your research and narrow down what you want as much as you can. Be prepared to travel interstate to get it. That way the purchase isn't as rushed as there are more available and you can delay closer to the house sale.

On road V off road - if the van is "the family home" and not just a "camping trip" and as you have the Patrol set up for tenting the gnarlier places I would lean towards a dual axle jobbie and upgrade springs and shocks specifically for operation over corrugations and outback formed gravel shire roads and tracks. Get into places that are really gnarly and you risk getting stranded or having the rig in the workshop getting fixed and needing expensive accomodation.
Once you can happily travel the Great Central, Gibb or Tanami Roads for example you can get to a LOT of Oz or at least home base the van with very easy range of the Patrol and a tent

Annex - difficult choice. I pretty much agree with Cuppa again... have a good think about that issue. Heaps of Vans come with "Annex hardly used" or Annex as new" etc. because most people find they can be a total PIA... BUT... if you are staying in spots longer term and/or exploring in the Patrol they give the snotties a bit more room and/or also a bit more area to stow stuff out of the weather.

I reckon you are correct to in making certain you have the money side of things sorted. Do whatever it takes to get you and your partner comfy with the cabbage. Everything else can be adjusted fairly easily but pressures on the fiscal front can make the green grass decidedly brown.

Finally... I say 'Go For It' as it will be awesome. Sure there will be hiccups along the way but that is all part of the experience

BigRAWesty
14th April 2013, 02:14 PM
Hi Kallen,

A few thoughts.

Firstly the link to your choice of van doesn't work.

Regarding a full size annexe. Not trying to tell you what you need, but I would advise you that many many folk think they will need a full enclosed annexe &amp; once on the road find that rarely or never use it. If you have room to sit inside when the weather is bad, or the mossies are biting you probably don't need one either. An awning is essential for shade &amp; shelter though. Annexe walls are mainly only used by folk who stay put in one location for long periods (which may be your plan), but are a considerable weight &amp; a PIA to put up. If you decide that a full annexe IS a necessity you should be able to pick one up that has had no, or little use for way less than new cost. A length of shade cloth across the front of the awning is a compromise that many use if extra privacy is needed, is much lighter, &amp; cheaper &amp; quicker &amp; easier to put up.

Regarding whether to get the van first, or clear the debts first. Always good to get rid of debt....BUT ...... IF you are certain about what you are planning, getting the van first helps to cement things in place &amp; gives you a sense of progression &amp; commitment. IMHO it makes the dreams coming true seem a bit closer. It also gives you the opportunity to get the van how you want it based on a few 'shakedown' weekends etc away, as I can guarantee what you will think is important in the van will change once you have used it.

I would also advise that you take your time choosing a particular van. Join this forum (http://caravanersforum.com/) &amp; ask heaps of questions. You will be better informed, plus will probably save yourself some money - it's a buyers market.

The smaller the van, the less it will restrict where you can go. Many national parks don't have drive through sites, making bigger vans a pain. There are also very few genuinely off road vans. Plenty say they are, but are really only suitable for reasonable gravel roads. Ground clearance, departure angles as well as general sturdiness conspire to make many so called 'off road' vans unsuitable for off road. IMHO the two choices are to either spend big bikkies on a genuine off road van, or to buy an older van whose owner has modified it over the years to survive the thousands of corrugated kilometres. The latter may not always be pretty, but will likely be dust proof &amp; sturdy.

Good to hear that things are progressing. :)

Cuppa

FWIW I reckon Cuppa has a few gems of info in there.

Debt versus investment - it would need to be a cracking investment (read high risk) to return more than the $ you need to service the debt so 9 times out of 10 you would be better off clearing the debt... BUT... if it is more important logistically to get the van then, as Cuppa says, I would do so.

Van layout and inclusions - do your research and narrow down what you want as much as you can. Be prepared to travel interstate to get it. That way the purchase isn't as rushed as there are more available and you can delay closer to the house sale.

On road V off road - if the van is "the family home" and not just a "camping trip" and as you have the Patrol set up for tenting the gnarlier places I would lean towards a dual axle jobbie and upgrade springs and shocks specifically for operation over corrugations and outback formed gravel shire roads and tracks. Get into places that are really gnarly and you risk getting stranded or having the rig in the workshop getting fixed and needing expensive accomodation.
Once you can happily travel the Great Central, Gibb or Tanami Roads for example you can get to a LOT of Oz or at least home base the van with very easy range of the Patrol and a tent

Annex - difficult choice. I pretty much agree with Cuppa again... have a good think about that issue. Heaps of Vans come with "Annex hardly used" or Annex as new" etc. because most people find they can be a total PIA... BUT... if you are staying in spots longer term and/or exploring in the Patrol they give the snotties a bit more room and/or also a bit more area to stow stuff out of the weather.

I reckon you are correct to in making certain you have the money side of things sorted. Do whatever it takes to get you and your partner comfy with the cabbage. Everything else can be adjusted fairly easily but pressures on the fiscal front can make the green grass decidedly brown.

Finally... I say 'Go For It' as it will be awesome. Sure there will be hiccups along the way but that is all part of the experience

Cheers guys, and will check out that site once home on the computer.

I really stuffed those links up.. ill fix once home.. :rolleyes: both vans are dual axle setups, around the 20" mark. you'll see.. :D

To clear a few things up, our plan is to travel but stay in a location for a period of time, maybe a few months. Depending on the next leg and money needed will determine time spent in a spot to save.
I will be working threw this trip. So we will have an income.
The $35000 I'm talking about is an emergency only, and if all comes together a deposit on a house at the end. It won't be a source of income, and interest from it will be put strait back in. So after the few years planned we have a nice little nest egg.

So as were intending on setting up for decent stints I'd prefer a full annex, it provides extra space, and the wife suggested pop down the $2 shop and grab a cheap lounge and stick in there. When its time to go sell it off...
We'll keep the roll out awning for travelling lunch stops and short stop overs.

As mentioned above the van will be base and the patrol will be the exploring vehicle. We still plan to deck it out and have a smaller tent to take.

Now the van, I totally understand the "off road" is still limited. Its not really off road, its just a lifted van.. but I think it will give us a little more freedom if the van can handle a few of the black top tracks..
I will be fitting the van with similar tyres to the patrol, so it makes tyre selection not an issue..

Anyway, keep talking. I'm all ears.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

BigRAWesty
14th April 2013, 03:21 PM
Ok, lets try again..
My fav so far.. (http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy/details.aspx?R=14617677&plc=&trecs=43&gclid=CMPg9r3hyLYCFUNipQodCS4Alw&se_id=sem&SearchAction=N&__Nne=15&mkwid=sqJiua28b&pmt=b&__No=0&silo=1701&pcrid=13804059613&pkw=caravan%20sales&__sid=13E07CD36254&__N=1552%201549%201600%201602%201601%204294964653% 201560%201773%201800&__Ns=p_StockRankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cp_Make_String% 7c0%7c%7cp_Model_String%7c0%7c%7cp_Year_Int32%7c1% 7c%7cp_StockPrice_Decimal%7c1&__Qpb=1&PriceToCaravan=1560&LengthTo=1800&Cr=3&seot=1&LengthFrom=1773)
And the wifes fav so far (http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy/details.aspx?R=14466905&plc=&trecs=43&gclid=CMPg9r3hyLYCFUNipQodCS4Alw&se_id=sem&SearchAction=N&__Nne=15&mkwid=sqJiua28b&pmt=b&__No=15&silo=1701&pcrid=13804059613&pkw=caravan%20sales&__sid=13E07CD36254&__N=1552%201549%201600%201602%201601%204294964653% 201560%201773%201800&__Ns=p_StockRankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cp_Make_String% 7c0%7c%7cp_Model_String%7c0%7c%7cp_Year_Int32%7c1% 7c%7cp_StockPrice_Decimal%7c1&__Qpb=1&PriceToCaravan=1560&LengthTo=1800&Cr=19&seot=1&LengthFrom=1773)

emm
17th September 2013, 11:00 PM
Hmm, following with interest but link didn't work...
Air conditioner a must if you will be in the Top end for the build up/wet season like we were. It was 42 degrees in Katherine without a breath of wind and as soon as we got to Darwin we bought a portable air con. Also, don't expect the caravan fridge to work once the outside temp is over 32 degrees. The caravan parks were full of people getting fridges checked out but it was just the Top end weather versus the east coast they had come from. Get an Engel or waeco if you really want cold stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

BigRAWesty
18th September 2013, 06:23 AM
Hi mate. Thanks for the input. Yea both vans have probably sold as I posted them in April, and there were both good buys..
Totally agree with the aircon, but thanks for the heads on the fridges..
Was it one particular style of fridge, gas, 240 or 12v???
But we do have our 50ltr weaco I'm the Patrol so if it does go bad we have a back up..

threedogs
18th September 2013, 08:41 AM
If you want the very best fridge get yourself a National Luna/ Trailblazer.
Nothing comes close but they come at a premium price, but resale value will remain.
Check as some fridges don't like humidity same as some stoves don't like altitude.
Don't know if I'd like erecting an annexe on a regular basis, but don't know of alternatives
that are easy.

BigRAWesty
18th September 2013, 10:17 AM
Nothing comes close but they come at a premium price, but resale value will remain.
Check as some fridges don't like humidity same as some stoves don't like altitude.
Don't know if I'd like erecting an annexe on a regular basis, but don't know of alternatives
that are easy.

Thanks mate when time comes I'll investigate the fridge further.
As for full annexe it would only be put up for long stays.

Cuppa
18th September 2013, 07:31 PM
So the plan is still a plan then Kallen?

BigRAWesty
19th September 2013, 05:52 AM
So the plan is still a plan then Kallen?

Sure is.. The Patrol is taking a little longer than expected but doing it right the first time..
So once that's done then smash these final few house renos over then on the market.. It is just a waiting game then..
Have decided to drop home loan back to interest only come next year.. Were 14 thou infront so have some time up our sleeve of minimum repayments..

oncedisturbed
19th September 2013, 06:19 AM
How did I miss this thread?? Sounds like a good trip.

the wife and I wish to do the same but it will be a few years off as munchkin is only 12.

BigRAWesty
19th September 2013, 06:58 AM
How did I miss this thread?? Sounds like a good trip.

the wife and I wish to do the same but it will be a few years off as munchkin is only 12.

Yea were hoping to get in early. Eldest is 3 in Feb and youngest is nearly 1 so if we miss the first few years of school no big loss.. So were looking at 5 years On the road..

JoeG
19th September 2013, 08:36 AM
Hi Kallen
If you have solar charging on the van be advised that travel in the north (in / above the tropics ) de rates your panels so you require double the wattage.
We found our 120w system needed upgradind to 220w just to run a 12v fridge and night time lighting.
In our new slide on i have a fridge and freezer so have installed 400w (at 24v with a smart charger MPPT tracker) to charge our 240AH battery bank
all fine till 3days of rain and cloud then need to start engine to chasrge up.
we also have a smart DC/DC charger for charging from engine alt as the Patrol regulates to 13.6v and this is too low with 6m of 6mm wire to rear batteries.
of course if you are in a powered site the no worries, however we rarely find one (and mostly don't need one unless its raining)
We aim to find a Powered site and laundry once a week other than that find what we can off road.
Hope you live the dream soon
Good luck and enjoy life
Joe

FNQGU
21st September 2013, 08:07 AM

Not to start a fridge debate... I agree with TD, but would add that the Trailblaza is more suited to sitting in the back of a ute. Yes, they will go in the back of a wagon, but you will have to make do without lots of stuff just to fit one in.

If your budget will allow it, I'd also consider two units instead of one monster sized fridge. At one point I ran a 60 litre as a fridge and a 40 litre as a freezer. You could stick one in the van and one in the back of the Patrol as long as your power needs are sorted...

Cuppa
21st September 2013, 09:16 AM
If your budget will allow it, I'd also consider two units instead of one monster sized fridge. At one point I ran a 60 litre as a fridge and a 40 litre as a freezer.

That's how I've set up our camper. After having an upright fridge with freezer space in our bus I realised how much of a compromise that is, often having to choose between soft ice cream or frozen lettuce! Going with the separate fridge & freezer does away with this problem, but also gives a lot more flexibility. If need be both can be used as fridges, or one can be turned off once food stocks are depleted.

Cuppa

BigRAWesty
21st September 2013, 10:34 AM
Yea that's a good thought. We have a 50 For the Patrol so why spend big bucks On a van fridge. A 80 would be tops if that's the setup..

FNQGU
21st September 2013, 12:15 PM
If you have a 50 already, perhaps find a decent little second hand 32 litre or 40 litre which can work as your freezer?

Cuppa
21st September 2013, 01:02 PM
If you have a 50 already, perhaps find a decent little second hand 32 litre or 40 litre which can work as your freezer?

Kallen & family may decide that they need more fridge/freezer capacity, however your suggestion certainly makes more sense than a 50 & an 80 power consumption-wise.
Ours are 60 an 35.
Smaller units are more efficient. i.e.. in the same conditions, with same thickness insulation a 40 litre will use less than half the power that an 80 litre will.

About 'stuff' in general:
It is common for folk who are used to relatively large fridges at home to think they need a large capacity fridge/freezer for fulltime life on the road. Generally speaking this is not so. When travelling there are shops just about everywhere to re-stock from. By trying to 'transfer' home life to 'on the road' life, it is possible to make some expensive mistakes. Large fridge capacity is one of them. It's not just the fridge, but also the the system to power it which costs.

It is actually amazing how little you need to live on the road, & anything extra costs extra, both at time of purchase, & in needing to cart it around. Until experienced at living on the road I feel it is better to leave with a minimal set up & unused space. If you find that you really need something you don't have, it's no different buying it once on the road than it is to buy it before you leave. Another common mistake many make is believing that because they intend on being on the road full time that they need a huge caravan. Again imposing 'home thinking' onto 'on the road' lifestyle. Just recently I heard of a couple who had planned their travels for years, & 6 weeks into their dream trip they were miserable & stressed. They were finding that their new 24' was just too restrictive & unnecessary. They sold it (at a considerable loss) & bought an 18 footer in which they were much happier, less stressed & able to go to more places. An expensive lesson learned.

After 18 months living in our 7 metre bus we returned to our modest little 12 square house & all our 'stuff', & felt lost in all the space & belongings. Of course within a couple of months we had re-adopted old ways of being. When we eventually get back on the road I'm sure we will quickly adapt back to the minimalist lifestyle once again & wonder why on earth we needed 'all that stuff' back home.

Cuppa

DX grunt
21st September 2013, 01:05 PM
Thanks Cuppa.

So glad we never got that 30+ footer. Will look into a 18 footer. Less cleaning for me to do. lol

threedogs
21st September 2013, 01:21 PM
If travelling as I used to do the best piece of advice I have is be tolerant of others. Found some real pig headed ppl in my travels.
found sound rippers as well, some who I still see 20 yrs later. Be prepared to say yes and leave it at that.
you'll at least know you're right and other ppl still pig headed, lol You know what I mean

Also if you require fuel every day chances are ice will be available too M2cw

BigRAWesty
21st September 2013, 01:57 PM
Your probably right cuppa with the 80 being to big. But with the family of 4 I don't want to buy a 40 then after a while think crap Its to small..
A 60 dual zine might be a better option with the 50.. We have a 450L at home and it does us well.. Just..
But if we adapt some of the tips from that living on the sea thread you posted on the other forum I'm sure we could do better..
I guess with the larger 3 way van fridges your not dependant in one thing..
If the weather turns bad you atleast know you have a gas backup.

BigRAWesty
21st September 2013, 02:01 PM
Ow, and we're looking at around the 18-20ft cabin size van, but only due to dedicated queen and bunks, and still have a reasonable living area..
We are seriously liking the expandas.. But not sure how it would handle the full time gig..