PDA

View Full Version : Using an Eonon Head unit GPS in a Nissan Patrol

Justin220
21st March 2013, 05:02 PM
Hi guys, glad to meet you, I'm Carlos from Eonon! ;)

Lately we have released a new specific D5168 Nissan Car DVD GPS:
http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Specific-Car-GPS/Nissan/D5168.html

I've seen many guys here is using Eonon with great pleasure. So I've talked to the admin to see if we have any chance to sponsor this forum. But I have an important issue need to confirm with you, and he asked me to ask you guys directly:

Since the compatible Nissan car models our D5168 fits doesn't include the Nissan patrol, we want to know if it's really fit or not.Is the Nissan Patrol has the interior as follows?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/125.jpg

If so, I've asked our tech, our D5168 should fit the Patrol's dashboard shape. But could you please kindly tell me the dashboard size to make it even clearer? Is it a standard 2 din size? Since I've seen some guys have installed our 2 din G2216 and G2227 without problem.

And there's a upper screen on in the head for every Patrol unit? We want to know how it connect it connect with the power cable of the factory unit, so that we will know if the screen can work after connecting to D5168.

Many thanks for your kind help guys! Look forward to your feedback soon! :D

Drew
21st March 2013, 05:05 PM
G'day

For the low price of one unit, I'm happy to install one and give you feedback etc for an 08 GU ;) :)

If not ill let some of the more knowledgeable dudes answer :)

Justin220
21st March 2013, 05:11 PM
G'day

For the low price of one unit, I'm happy to install one and give you feedback etc for an 08 GU ;) :)

If not ill let some of the more knowledgeable dudes answer :)

Hi Drew, thanks for your interest! So you think our D5168 Nissan GPS can fit your 08 GU dashboard without problem? :D
If not sure, could you show me your interior pic? Thanks!

NissanGQ4.2
21st March 2013, 05:19 PM
If its a standard Nissan Double Din unit it would fit in the Patrols, only issue would be how it connected

Drew
21st March 2013, 05:23 PM
I've seen one of these installed http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/25/109/281/AVH-P4450BT/page.html so if the specs are similar then as my bruvva from annuva muvva said how its connected

threedogs
21st March 2013, 05:24 PM
X 2 with above d/din with fit But a plug and play loom would be great
I think it interferes with one OE app. but cant remember was recent post too'
anyone remember??? Something about Cruise controll yeah thats it
Thats the same as mine in an 04 model though will put pic here

MudRunnerTD
21st March 2013, 05:32 PM
The pic above is of a Left hand drive GUIV and above and is still the current Y61 shape throughout Australia.

The audio unit is a Double Din size and i understand that your unit is widely used and sourced off ebay.

The screen at the top is the Nissan factory GPS and reverse camera setup and was an Option only. I do not have that option and instead have a small glove box with a flip up door in that location. I do not believe there is any connection between the radio and the top screen as they are independent units with no cross options? I might be wrong though?

Just looked at that pic again and advise that my radio unit is a single unit of Double Din size and is Not the same as that unit. it does not include a DVD and i believe that no unit is Australia will have a DVD that signals to the dash screen as it is illegal to have a DVD play in the view of the driver. So if there is a DVD in that car in Australia then it would be for the optional Roof mounted screen for rear passengers only,.

Will you be doing a good deal for our members? Look forward as i have been considering your uint for a number of years but never made the decision.

Regards MR

Justin220
21st March 2013, 05:34 PM
If its a standard Nissan Double Din unit it would fit in the Patrols, only issue would be how it connected

Hi mate, thanks for your feedback! OK now I see the main issue is the wiring.

I've seen one of these installed http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/25/109/281/AVH-P4450BT/page.html so if the specs are similar then as my bruvva from annuva muvva said how its connected

Hi Drew, but I can’t see how this unit is connected to your Nissan Patrol?

X 2 with above d/din with fit But a plug and play loom would be great
I think it interferes with one OE app. but cant remember was recent post too'
anyone remember??? Something about Cruise controll yeah thats it
Thats the same as mine in an 04 model though will put pic here

Hi threedogs, thanks a lot, look forward to your pic! :)

Coldcomfort
21st March 2013, 05:35 PM
I have just installed one of these http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/25/111/241/AVIC-F40BT/page.html over the last four days. Physically it was a straight swap. Electrically there was a fair bit of rework to do....

threedogs
21st March 2013, 05:36 PM
MR thats a good price not sure it does all the things mine does though.
the lower price may reflect that

NissanGQ4.2
21st March 2013, 05:39 PM
Just looked at that pic again and advise that my radio unit is a single unit of Double Din size and is Not the same as that unit. it does not include a DVD and i believe that no unit is Australia will have a DVD that signals to the dash screen as it is illegal to have a DVD play in the view of the driver. So if there is a DVD in that car in Australia then it would be for the optional Roof mounted screen for rear passengers only,.
Regards MR

I don't believe that to be correct Daz, yes its illegal to drive while watching a DVD for front passangers, but nothing illegal about watching a DVD in the front seat while parked up at a camp site, if you read the specs on the unit it won't play while driving

I could be wrong though after all we do have some stupid laws here

threedogs
21st March 2013, 05:41 PM
You just leave off the hand brake wire

Justin220
21st March 2013, 05:41 PM
I have just installed one of these http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/25/111/241/AVIC-F40BT/page.html over the last four days. Physically it was a straight swap. Electrically there was a fair bit of rework to do....

Hi Coldcomfort, so I think your partrol has the special harness. You can see the wiring of our D5168, there's a special port(No. 4) for the Nissan, don't know if it's right one can fit with your car directly without rework?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/126.jpg

NP99
21st March 2013, 05:46 PM
Does it fit all GUs?

Justin220
21st March 2013, 06:33 PM
I don't believe that to be correct Daz, yes its illegal to drive while watching a DVD for front passangers, but nothing illegal about watching a DVD in the front seat while parked up at a camp site, if you read the specs on the unit it won't play while driving

I could be wrong though after all we do have some stupid laws here

You just leave off the hand brake wire

Hi threedogs, you're right, in the D5168, there's a brake_detect function. If you turn it on, and connect the brake wire, then you'll not allowed to watch videos while driving.
If you turn that off, you can make it, quite convenient, thanks! :)

Does it fit all GUs?

Our D5168 should fit the shape of GU without problem, but not sure about wiring yet. Once any news, I'll inform you guys! Thanks!

MudRunnerTD
21st March 2013, 06:34 PM
Does it fit all GUs?

It's a standard double din unit so it should.

Justin220
21st March 2013, 06:40 PM
The pic above is of a Left hand drive GUIV and above and is still the current Y61 shape throughout Australia.

The audio unit is a Double Din size and i understand that your unit is widely used and sourced off ebay.

The screen at the top is the Nissan factory GPS and reverse camera setup and was an Option only. I do not have that option and instead have a small glove box with a flip up door in that location. I do not believe there is any connection between the radio and the top screen as they are independent units with no cross options? I might be wrong though?

Will you be doing a good deal for our members? Look forward as i have been considering your uint for a number of years but never made the decision.

Regards MR

Hi MudRunnerTD, wow thanks for you professional answer, quite valuable! Now I see the upper screen is only an option for your car. :)

And thanks concern to Eonon for so many years! :D haha, a true fan indeed! Sure once we will provide guys here with great group buy price then, just stay tuned! Cheers!

oncedisturbed
21st March 2013, 08:50 PM
Justin, I have installed a few of the G2216 units in various cars including the wifes epica without an issue.

I did a trial fit in my 09 patrol without any dramas at all, needed to purchase an Aerpro plug and play ISO harness and aerial adapter and worked fine. The DVD in the unit works fine BUT the gps unit needs a lot of work, constantly loses signal but when it does gain signal it works great.

I am in the process of looking for another unit as my current JVC unit's bluetooth is in the blink.

You can have the DVD screen in view of the driver BUT it is not allow to display any movie / tv etc by law unless vehicle is stopped / turned off and handbrake applied hence rooftop / headrest screens. The earth wire for the dvd section is supposed to be earthed to the handbrake and not earthed anywhere else ie chasis etc.

If you are looking doing 1 for the patrol, I would honestly suggest looking at incorporating an offroad gps mapset like Ozi Explorer CE or similar for them like many other providers are doing with the WinCE 6.0 operating systems.

Can always throw a unit my way and happy test out lol.

Good to see another company here to support us Patrollians :)

Tap, Tap, Taparoo

oncedisturbed
21st March 2013, 08:57 PM
Also forgot to mention that Eonon may need to look at either incorporating an anti glare shield or utilising and anti glare film / filter for the units as soon as the sun comes through 9 out of 10 times you can not see the screen to answer calls, change stations, access gps etc.

Just food for thought :)

Tap, Tap, Taparoo

mudski
21st March 2013, 09:01 PM
I have a G2227 in my 2001 GUII. Fitted no problem. Only issue I have is the gps can take up to 30minutes to actually work. By that time I have found my own way...
O.h the other issue which is quite annoying is the radio reception. Very poor. I hope the newer units are better...

Justin220
22nd March 2013, 02:59 PM
Justin, I have installed a few of the G2216 units in various cars including the wifes epica without an issue.

I did a trial fit in my 09 patrol without any dramas at all, needed to purchase an Aerpro plug and play ISO harness and aerial adapter and worked fine. The DVD in the unit works fine BUT the gps unit needs a lot of work, constantly loses signal but when it does gain signal it works great.

I am in the process of looking for another unit as my current JVC unit's bluetooth is in the blink.

You can have the DVD screen in view of the driver BUT it is not allow to display any movie / tv etc by law unless vehicle is stopped / turned off and handbrake applied hence rooftop / headrest screens. The earth wire for the dvd section is supposed to be earthed to the handbrake and not earthed anywhere else ie chasis etc.

If you are looking doing 1 for the patrol, I would honestly suggest looking at incorporating an offroad gps mapset like Ozi Explorer CE or similar for them like many other providers are doing with the WinCE 6.0 operating systems.

Can always throw a unit my way and happy test out lol.

Good to see another company here to support us Patrollians :)

Tap, Tap, Taparoo

Also forgot to mention that Eonon may need to look at either incorporating an anti glare shield or utilising and anti glare film / filter for the units as soon as the sun comes through 9 out of 10 times you can not see the screen to answer calls, change stations, access gps etc.

Just food for thought :)

Tap, Tap, Taparoo

Hi oncedisturbed, thanks for sharing your Eonon experience, and glad to hear you enjoy them! :clapping:

About the wiring, so you mean if you install a standard 2 din unit like our previous G2216, and Aerpro plug is needed? Is it the same as the one in this pic?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/130.jpg

If so, it seems quite familiar with the D5168 harness (No. 4 in the pic):
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/126.jpg

Could you please check for us? Many thanks! :)

And thanks for your advice regarding the gps and anti glare film, I’ll reflect them to our R&D then. About the Win 6.0 system, our D5168 is already used this OS, welcome to get it in the future! :tongue:

I have a G2227 in my 2001 GUII. Fitted no problem. Only issue I have is the gps can take up to 30minutes to actually work. By that time I have found my own way...
O.h the other issue which is quite annoying is the radio reception. Very poor. I hope the newer units are better...

Hi mudski, thanks for your info too.
About the radio reception issue, you can check as follows:
1. Make sure the radio antenna is well connected, unplug it several times to have a try.
2. Choose the right radio region.
3. Turn off the LOC function.
4. Change to another FM antenna to have a try.

Hope it helps, please have a try!

oncedisturbed
22nd March 2013, 03:56 PM
Justin, the harness looks pretty close from memory to the Aerpro harness I used. The antenna port is completely different though as I had to use again an Aerpro converter plug to convert from a Nissan 2 pin to a standard universal fitting in order to plug in the antenna

Never underestimate the power of the Tap.

Justin220
22nd March 2013, 05:05 PM
Justin, the harness looks pretty close from memory to the Aerpro harness I used. The antenna port is completely different though as I had to use again an Aerpro converter plug to convert from a Nissan 2 pin to a standard universal fitting in order to plug in the antenna

Never underestimate the power of the Tap.

Hi oncedisturbed, I'm Carlos, lol:

Thanks for your feedback, really valuable! I've asked our tech to compare the Aerpro harness and D5168 harness, he said from the look of the white end, the size are quite similar between them. Cheers! :)

mudski
22nd March 2013, 05:43 PM
Lol, I forgot to mention too. To get better radio reception I have to touch the screen or plastic frame of the unit whilst I'm driving. Not bad if I'm in 5th gear but rather annoying. I think I will be pulling it out soon and seeing if I can make it any better myself.

Alitis007
22nd March 2013, 06:04 PM
Lol, I forgot to mention too. To get better radio reception I have to touch the screen or plastic frame of the unit whilst I'm driving. Not bad if I'm in 5th gear but rather annoying. I think I will be pulling it out soon and seeing if I can make it any better myself.

Does your rig have the areal in the rear window??

Alot of the after market areal adaptors that go from the nissan 2 pin plug only use 1 pin. I got and after market adaptor that had used both pins but had 2 wires and i spliced them to 1, not hard just fiddly and my radio reception is pretty good and only get crackle when i turn my HID head lights on which is standard coz of the frequency the ballast emits!

Alitis007
22nd March 2013, 06:09 PM
This is the best pic i have, had to zoom in on it from another pic
I got that adaptor from autobahn

mudski
22nd March 2013, 07:40 PM
Does your rig have the areal in the rear window??

Alot of the after market areal adaptors that go from the nissan 2 pin plug only use 1 pin. I got and after market adaptor that had used both pins but had 2 wires and i spliced them to 1, not hard just fiddly and my radio reception is pretty good and only get crackle when i turn my HID head lights on which is standard coz of the frequency the ballast emits!
Didn't know the trolls had a rear window aerial. I just have the one on the front quarter. I dont want to add more aerials too. It should work in the first place.

Maxhead
22nd March 2013, 07:48 PM
Didn't know the trolls had a rear window aerial. I just have the one on the front quarter. I dont want to add more aerials too. It should work in the first place.

Yeah I think they have 2, one at the front and one on the back window. The aerial plug is a 2 pin plug.
The GU8 hasn't got one at the front anymore as it was a bad spot and they keep breaking

Drew
22nd March 2013, 07:53 PM

I thought is was a demister :)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?10864-Passenger-Side-Demister

“The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.” - Albert Einstein

Alitis007
22nd March 2013, 09:12 PM

There is an amplified retractable one on the front guard and one on the passenger side window in the cargo area on my rig but its late '99

Alitis007
22nd March 2013, 09:42 PM
Just going thru this thread and thought i might add i have had bad experiences with cheap head units in the past with their internal software not working correctly and not effectively playing all the sound from your CD, sd card or ipod. I only buy the best i can afford now and have never looked back but thats me and my 2 cents worth!

mudski
23rd March 2013, 07:43 PM
I see where your coming from. Its a fact of you get what you pay for. But I simply cannot justify the price for the better units. Also mine definitely only has the one aerial.

Coldcomfort
23rd March 2013, 07:51 PM
Just going thru this thread and thought i might add i have had bad experiences with cheap head units in the past with their internal software not working correctly and not effectively playing all the sound from your CD, sd card or ipod. I only buy the best i can afford now and have never looked back but thats me and my 2 cents worth!

Thats exactly how I look at it.... Thats why I settled on the Pioneer F40BT... Also it has off road maps... That helped.

Alitis007
23rd March 2013, 07:58 PM
I see where your coming from. Its a fact of you get what you pay for. But I simply cannot justify the price for the better units. Also mine definitely only has the one aerial.

It must be the ST - L and Ti models only then. I will happily pay 2g's because i see it as do it right the first time so money is not an option if you think like me weather you can afford it or not !! Thats why i'll keep working lol

Alitis007
23rd March 2013, 08:05 PM
Thats exactly how I look at it.... Thats why I settled on the Pioneer F40BT... Also it has off road maps... That helped.

I installed this Pioneer but wasn't happy with its performance
So i returned it for the Alpine INA-w910r. With the amount of money i have spent with my car audio guy i can do these things lol

lufkin
23rd March 2013, 08:37 PM
There is an amplified retractable one on the front guard and one on the passenger side window in the cargo area on my rig but its late '99

So can I splice the 2 wire factory plug together and effectively have 2 antennas working for a stronger signal for my aftermarket radio?

Alitis007
23rd March 2013, 09:05 PM
So can I splice the 2 wire factory plug together and effectively have 2 antennas working for a stronger signal for my aftermarket radio?

Yeh easily but buy an adaptor so you don't ruin the factory plug. You cut the outside black insulation to expose the wire mesh, separate that and the foil under it to expose the teflon casing of a thicker coper center. Attach the 2 (i soldiered mine) insulate that, then work backwards till its how its was originally just thinker

Coldcomfort
24th March 2013, 07:35 PM
I installed this Pioneer but wasn't happy with its performance
So i returned it for the Alpine INA-w910r. With the amount of money i have spent with my car audio guy i can do these things lol

I had the F40BT and the Alpine on my top two list. I went with the Pioneer after reading many forums etc. The general consensus was that the Alpine was too dificult to set up and use.... How are you finding it?? I am more than happy with the pioneer so far.

Alitis007
24th March 2013, 08:20 PM
I had the F40BT and the Alpine on my top two list. I went with the Pioneer after reading many forums etc. The general consensus was that the Alpine was too dificult to set up and use.... How are you finding it?? I am more than happy with the pioneer so far.

I've have a pioneer in my rx7 thats brilliant, the resolution is far greater then anything on the market 5 years ago and was easy to navigate and set up it is a AVOC???? Or something or other lol been a while! The F40 on the other hand was slow, picture quality really let it down and the sound output was not 55w x 4 and the blue tooth mic..... CRAP!! The gps was ok BUT did not have audible warnings like the old model and ALL Alpines that warn you when you go over the speed limit, from what i could see all its brains are used for that quick navigation globe thing it has on screen but i only had it in there for 24hrs before going to the Alpine! I've installed 3 Alpines in the last 2 years 1 single DIN screen in my bro's skyline, 1 double DIN in my mrs car ( a 503e) and this one, they are tricky at first but you get the hang of it quick but they are made to be used with amp's thats why the setup menus are so full on but are easy to tune using their Imprint mic, so the head unit adjusts the output for each speaker by measuring the resistance or each speaker wire (That eliminates having to have all speaker wires the same length like i did in my RX7 FFS!!) I love this unit tho, easy to use quick for me to set up coz i'm used to the Alpines and pumps my speakers hard with no distortion even tho i'm not running an amp!! My setup is clean, crisp and bassy, you hear solid bass but don't feel it ( i want a Pioneer invisible sub OR 2 x Focal ute subs OMFG!!! Lol under the front seats!!!!) but my mirrors still vibrate hard. I'm running straight off the head unit (front) Alpine 6.5" Type R Splits and (rear) Pioneer 6" Type D component speakers (Kevlar cones!!!). It does well pumping House music and Dubstep when i'm not listening to the radio lol

As you can tell i love my sound systems and i love my music louder, my first serious install took me almost 2 weeks working for around 4 hrs after work every day on my own after going and seeing cars at The Showoffs and Auto saloon and other car shows lol