PDA

View Full Version : New Member, New to serious 4x4

Royce
20th March 2013, 06:48 PM
G'day everyone,

my names Royce, im new to the forum and to serious 4 wheel driving, I've played around on simple tracks and beaches with my dads Stock 07 Triton, and decided to get serious about it, I've recently purchased a 2003 GU III, (after reading through this forum it steered me away from the 00,01,02 models due to engine problems, so big thanks to the forum) its had a brand new crate motor dropped in her, with heavy duty clutch and better gear ratios (i cant remember off the top of my head)
anyway as with anything i do, i don't do it half assed, so naturally theres a fair few mods i want to do and at the moment top priority is under body protection.

anyway i look forward to bouncing ideas off everyone and getting some really good advice from blokes, and ladies who know what they are talking about.

Royce

Drew
20th March 2013, 06:53 PM
Welcome :bananarock:

“The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.” - Albert Einstein

AB
20th March 2013, 07:13 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions!

krbrooking
20th March 2013, 07:17 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard, heaps of info here and great bunch of ppl.

threedogs
20th March 2013, 07:27 PM
Hello and Welcome You may want to NAD that engine as funds allow.
You feel better Trust me, Jump in anytime and Enjoy

healy
20th March 2013, 07:28 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Drewboyaus
20th March 2013, 07:37 PM
Welcome to the temple of Patrolology....
And no need for 4wding to be serious, lord knows there's not much serious about this joint! LMAO.
Threedogs is right, NADS before under body protection.
Underbody protection isn't really needed for a Patrol unless you're really going extreme. Drivetrain is the toughest you'll find bar none. I'd be doing lift and tyres before protection every day of the week.
Cheers,
Drew

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

trekster
20th March 2013, 08:01 PM
Hello and welcome to this great wonderful forum!

Be sure to post some pics of the rig up in the members ride section!

cheers.

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 08:06 PM
Welcome Royce, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

growler2058
20th March 2013, 09:47 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Sent from the crapper while on tappa

Maxhead
21st March 2013, 05:57 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

Dhuck
21st March 2013, 07:54 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Royce
21st March 2013, 03:26 PM
Welcome to the temple of Patrolology....
And no need for 4wding to be serious, lord knows there's not much serious about this joint! LMAO.
Threedogs is right, NADS before under body protection.
Underbody protection isn't really needed for a Patrol unless you're really going extreme. Drivetrain is the toughest you'll find bar none. I'd be doing lift and tyres before protection every day of the week.
Cheers,
Drew

What does NAD stand for? she already has a 2 inch lift, i wanted to put a 1 inch body lift just to allow more space in the wheel arches, how much should i expect to pay for a body lift?

Royce
21st March 2013, 03:30 PM
thanks everyone for the warm welcome, i will post photos up in about a month, as i bought the car the day before flying back to work, so as you can imagine im not very motivated to be stuck at work with my new rig sitting in the driveway while my missus gets to enjoy waking up to it every day...

taslucas
21st March 2013, 03:32 PM
What does NAD stand for? she already has a 2 inch lift, i wanted to put a 1 inch body lift just to allow more space in the wheel arches, how much should i expect to pay for a body lift?

Gday mate, welcome aboard.
NADS stands for Nissan Anti Detonation System. It is a series of parts and procedures designed to strengthen the zd30 engine and stop it from failing prematurely.
Plenty of info about it here just have a little search (top right of screen).
Goodluck with the new beast:-)

FanTapstic!

Royce
21st March 2013, 03:43 PM
BAHAHA, funny name. cheers will have a search now

Royce
21st March 2013, 05:29 PM
some of the NADS might already be done, it came with a catch can (not fitted though, does the EGR have to be open when there is an absence of a catch can?) and a DP chip too, but he said as the engine was brand new he was waiting for the engine to bed properly before fitting the chip as its due for its 5000km service at the moment

it has a turbo timer also, is this the same thing as a boost controller?

threedogs
21st March 2013, 07:52 PM
And For what its worth join a club to get the most out of your 4x4
. NEVER EVER USE A TOWBALL IN ANY RECOVERY SITUATION FULL STOP IT WILL KILL AND HAS
Its not all full noise to get to the top, Wheel placement might be better
Momentum is your friend in mud.
In ruts going down,,,, out of ruts going up

Royce
21st March 2013, 08:16 PM
cheers Threedogs.

NissanGQ4.2
21st March 2013, 08:19 PM
Welcome 2 the forum Royce

Great bunch of members on here always willing to help out where they can

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer

Cheers

Todd

Drewboyaus
21st March 2013, 08:19 PM
out of ruts going up

Only when it's dry should you drive out of the ruts (up or down)......especially as a novice.
It's a very easy way to come back down the hill very quickly on your roof.

threedogs
21st March 2013, 08:20 PM
And being a newbie so to speak avoid doing bog holes it WILL wreck your ride and cost you heaps believe me.
As you can tell great like minded ppl all over Aus, be polite respect the tracks and bush , you'll love it

Drewboyaus
21st March 2013, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=347563)

youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pfDJL4gF4N8)

There ya go mate!!!!

Yeah, don't do it. It's a stupid idea! LMAO

Royce
21st March 2013, 09:36 PM
yeah, na... i dont think ill be playing in the mud/water just yet, not until i get a full understanding of the rig, and get on some trips with experienced lads and lasses. plus i think the missus would kill me if i flooded the car, no scratch that, she would defiantly kill me.

*edit*
although it did come with a spare set of rims with maxxis bighorns fitted, i think 60% tread left.

Clunk
22nd March 2013, 12:46 AM
Welcome aboard Royce.......... wouldn't worry about a body lift on the GU, you got plenty of space in those wheel arches

What you tapin at!!!!!????

Royce
22nd March 2013, 12:51 AM
does anyone have any good idea/must have mods, apart from the NADS?
this is the description that was in the advert to give you more of an idea of what i have.

The car has been fitted with
New engine not even run in yet,
New turbo,
New injector pump ,
DP engine management chip,
Intercooler thermo fan,
3inch stainless steel exhaust system including turbo dump pipe fitted with pyro gauge mount and high flow cat .
Duel battery with auto monitor
Catch can with replaceable filter ,
Single mass safari tuff clutch and fly wheel fitted,
2inch lift kit with tuff dog big bore shockies and tuff dog adjustable steering damper.
new brakes all round
Light force spotlights
Cargo Barrier with child seat mounts
Rear draw system with fridge slider and power socket
33inch cooper STmax all round including spare
Comes with a spare set of 35inch maxas bighorns on rims
Full length ironman roof rack with rooftop tent and awning

Royce
22nd March 2013, 12:53 AM

i dont understand, is that a question? or an automatic sign off?

Clunk
22nd March 2013, 01:09 AM

Ahhhhh that's just my signature.......... I use an app called tapatalk to view forums when I'm on my phone or tablet. You may have noticed there's quite a few of us with various signatures mentioning something to do with tapping

BigRAWesty
22nd March 2013, 01:10 AM

His signature.

Sounds like you have most things done. Once NADs are done it'll be a very capable bus..

And you mentioned diff ratios have been changed?
Maybe a lokka..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

BigRAWesty
22nd March 2013, 01:11 AM
double post

Clunk
22nd March 2013, 01:16 AM
Sounds like you've got most stuff fitted already..... what about recovery gear, always a must, compressor, Tyre gauge

Royce
22nd March 2013, 01:34 AM
His signature.

And you mentioned diff ratios have been changed?
Maybe a lokka..
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

yeah mate, diff ratios were changed, i have them written down at home, i cant remeber what they were off the top of my head but he did it for bigger towing capacity, so i figure it would be a standard ratio that people go for. but this bloke was pretty serious about this car, as you can see from the list of stuff done. but yeah everything is basically brand new, and im pretty stoked to get on here and read about NADS especially because the engine is straight out of the box, i can mod it early to give it a fighting chance at life.

Royce
22nd March 2013, 01:39 AM
Sounds like you've got most stuff fitted already..... what about recovery gear, always a must, compressor, Tyre gauge

yeah, i was thinking about getting diff lockers (unless the ratio makes them irrelevant, i will post up ratio and ask for advice when i get home in a month)
and if i do go for diff lockers, ill get a good quality compressor to do tyres too, i have maxx trax, and snatch strap and the tyre deflators, just a good amount of basic gear at the moment, i want to get one of those exhaust jacks, a xrox bullbar with winch.

BigRAWesty
22nd March 2013, 02:10 AM
The lsd in the patrols is the best on the market, so only a front lokker is needed.
Your different diff ratios shouldn't be an issue in getting a lokka, just make sure its for that ratio.

Although exhaust jacks are good, a high lift jack is better imo

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Royce
22nd March 2013, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=Westy's Accessories;350080
Your ratios should bother you finding the right one. But you will have to get the right one.
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)[/QUOTE]

Sorry mate, I don't understand what your trying to say about the ratio, can you please elaborate?

BigRAWesty
22nd March 2013, 03:31 PM
Sorry mate, I don't understand what your trying to say about the ratio, can you please elaborate?

Sorry mate. Night shift... :rolleyes: have edited it..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Royce
22nd March 2013, 05:51 PM
Sweet, makes heaps more sense hahahaha

Royce
22nd March 2013, 08:16 PM
Ok, so i got the missus to hunt down the Diff Ratio info for me, and the ratio is 4:7 ..... so whats everyones thoughts on that?

my third 256
2nd April 2013, 04:01 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen