PDA

View Full Version : Strange dragging noise from under the car

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 05:57 PM
I was driving towards the West Gate bridge from the city when I could hear a reasonably loud dragging noise all the way over the bridge. Pulled off at williamstown road and I could hear the noise all the way till I stopped.
Jumped out to have a look underneath, the car and couldn't see or smell anything. Under the hood nothing. Took it for a test no noise. Got back on the freeway and it started again. Pulled over again, noisy till I stopped, looked for something again and nothing. Tested again, seemed ok. Drive 20kms now and it hasn't happened again.
WTF HAPPENED.......????????

megatexture
20th March 2013, 06:05 PM
A mud flap loose?

threedogs
20th March 2013, 06:05 PM
Not that exhaust mount broken and exhaust rubbing on tail shaft???

megatexture
20th March 2013, 06:12 PM
I had thought of that but that would have been a familiar sound lol

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 06:12 PM
A mud flap loose?

All mud flaps good. Nothing physically dragging. Just sounds like it. With sort of ticking.

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 06:18 PM
I had thought of that but that would have been a familiar sound lol

Exhaust is secure and tight, that's was my first thought

threedogs
20th March 2013, 06:18 PM
any cats missing in your area lol
Have a good look with a torch for wear marks , tyres , tail shaft ets Check serpentine belt.
Yours is nearly new so not thinking major atm

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 06:25 PM
any cats missing in your area lol
Have a good look with a torch for wear marks , tyres , tail shaft ets Check serpentine belt.
Yours is nearly new so not thinking major atm

Checked disc brakes. Tyres, tail shaft. No idea what a serpentine belt is.
Would a problem in the transmission make these sorts of sounds. Dragging. Scraping. Grinding. Ticking sounds.
I remember the first time I stopped to check it out just before stopping there was a slight jolt in transmission before stopping. But it didn't happened the second time I stopped.

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 06:26 PM
Remember there is nothing dragging. Just sounds like it.

MudRunnerTD
20th March 2013, 06:26 PM
It's your Seats! The Cows are awake and mooooing!

Got nuffin sorry!

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 06:28 PM
It's your Seats! The Cows are awake and mooooing!

Got nuffin sorry!

Who let you out.

NP99
20th March 2013, 06:31 PM
I had similar, thought I had hooked a stick up on the road, never happened again!

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 06:35 PM
I had similar, thought I had hooked a stick up on the road, never happened again!

Did it only happen once.
Never happened again and you found nothing also???????????

Alitis007
20th March 2013, 06:41 PM
Its road noise from your tyres!!! Go for a drive from Docklands down Footscray rd, in front of Costco your tyres will make the worst noise you have ever heard. On the west gate the rd is rough to help you grip, annoying but safe

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 06:54 PM
Its road noise from your tyres!!! Go for a drive from Docklands down Footscray rd, in front of Costco your tyres will make the worst noise you have ever heard. On the west gate the rd is rough to help you grip, annoying but safe

Yes that road past Costco makes horrible road noise. But that's not it, as I have been travelling the exact same route for two years now.

Alitis007
20th March 2013, 06:56 PM
Do you drive in the same lane every time??

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 06:58 PM
Do you drive in the same lane every time??

All the way from work to the bridge, same lane.

Alitis007
20th March 2013, 07:01 PM
I mean every day ?? I'm on the ring rd from plenty rd to Fitzgerald rd every day and i tell u the rd changes ever day

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 07:03 PM
I mean every day ?? I'm on the ring rd from plenty rd to Fitzgerald rd every day and i tell u the rd changes ever day

Ok, I will see tomorrow. I will take the exact same route/lane as I did today.

Sir Roofy
20th March 2013, 07:07 PM
Your not running on the fog lines with them little bars in them

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 07:11 PM
Your not running on the fog lines with them little bars in them

Noise started from the bolte bridge on ramp at Montague st to over the bridge to williamstown road exit.

Sir Roofy
20th March 2013, 07:41 PM
noise started from the bolte bridge on ramp at montague st to over the bridge to williamstown road exit.

i used to drive that route it was ok but then that was years ago check you trans oil
mate might be low or due for a change

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 07:44 PM
i used to drive that route it was ok but then that was years ago check you trans oil
mate might be low or due for a change

Will check trannie oil tonight when I get home, and is not far away from scheduled service.

NP99
20th March 2013, 08:02 PM
Did it only happen once.
Never happened again and you found nothing also???????????

Once only. Never found the problem.

happygu
20th March 2013, 08:25 PM
It's always a stick for me.....every time a head out into the bush.....

Seriously, it could have been a stone lodged between the disc and the back plate...... did it increase with Revs or with Road Speed?

Mic

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 09:25 PM
Will check trannie oil tonight when I get home, and is not far away from scheduled service.

Transmission oil good

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 09:29 PM
It's always a stick for me.....every time a head out into the bush.....

Seriously, it could have been a stone lodged between the disc and the back plate...... did it increase with Revs or with Road Speed?

Mic

I would say maybe, as it started when I was doing 80k's and I slowed down from there.

It may have been something lodged but why when I stopped, checked around the car, then went for a test run, it didn't do it until I got back on the freeway reached 100k's and started again.

MEGOMONSTER
21st March 2013, 06:05 AM
Driven to work 40 odd kms and no noise.
I have a feeling a stone in brakes may have been it.

BigRAWesty
21st March 2013, 06:29 AM
Are there 2 cyclists missing your way?:p

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MEGOMONSTER
21st March 2013, 06:36 AM
Are there 2 cyclists missing your way?

No but a motorcyclist went down yesterday morning. Unfortunately found out it was a fatality

threedogs
21st March 2013, 07:17 AM
all good now I take.
don't you hate that

MEGOMONSTER
21st March 2013, 08:50 AM
all good now I take.
don't you hate that

Seems to be, will see again on the way home.

threedogs
21st March 2013, 11:45 AM
Fingers crossed it was only a stone that got stuck, eh.

MEGOMONSTER
21st March 2013, 03:29 PM
No noises on the way home at, using the same route and lanes. But I did smell the same distinct odour of brake pads, which I smelt yesterday but thought it wasn't me.

threedogs
21st March 2013, 03:50 PM
Remove your front wheels I think you have run out of front brake pads,.
Quick fix put new pads in
Correct fix is get discs machined and fit new pads

Timely reminder for all to check front brake pads

MEGOMONSTER
21st March 2013, 05:52 PM
Remove your front wheels I think you have run out of front brake pads,.
Quick fix put new pads in
Correct fix is get discs machined and fit new pads

Timely reminder for all to check front brake pads

But if brake pads are worn out, wouldn't the scraping continue.

Car booked in on Monday to have its 40k service and brake check/fix, wheel rotation and balance.

megatexture
21st March 2013, 11:42 PM
Yea you will know if you have run out of pads, you can feel the grinding threw the break pedal.

MEGOMONSTER
22nd March 2013, 05:15 AM
Yea you will know if you have run out of pads, you can feel the grinding threw the break pedal.

Braking is very smooth and quiet, at the moment.

threedogs
22nd March 2013, 08:45 AM
Well hopefully not brakes, thats good,
Nothing worse than a noise that you cant pin point

NP99
22nd March 2013, 11:55 AM
Well hopefully not brakes, thats good,
Nothing worse than a noise that you cant pin point

Unlike a woman :-)

No offence girls :-)

MEGOMONSTER
22nd March 2013, 05:54 PM
Still no re occurring noises and no brake pad odours either, so I guess it could have been just a rock.

But now THIS DONKEY lost my wallet thus afternoon.

threedogs
22nd March 2013, 05:58 PM
Wasn't your wallet dragging on the ground lol

MEGOMONSTER
22nd March 2013, 06:02 PM
The noise I was hearing was from all the coins I had in there. I once had $23.90 in coins in my wallet.
F........g annoying.

MEGOMONSTER
22nd March 2013, 07:12 PM
Just got a phone call by a guy saying he found my wallet in the city. Drove there and I have my wallet back. All my cash and cards still there and gave him $20. You beauteeeeeeee.............

taslucas
22nd March 2013, 07:28 PM
Just got a phone call by a guy saying he found my wallet in the city. Drove there and I have my wallet back. All my cash and cards still there and gave him $20. You beauteeeeeeee.............

Great to hear the world still has good in it:-)

FanTapstic!

MEGOMONSTER
22nd March 2013, 07:34 PM
Great to hear the world still has good in it:-)

FanTapstic!

Very true, but if you saw this guy on the street, you wouldn't trust him. Very shifty looking guy. I guess the old adage is true to " never judge a book by its cover".

MEGOMONSTER
26th March 2013, 06:22 AM
Had my 40k service at Nissan. Explained everything I noticed, heard, smelt and seen.
The problem they found, was that I had NO problem,
No evidence on disc or pads or calipers. No faults found. Car running much better after service.

MEGOMONSTER
26th March 2013, 07:06 PM
Guess what, it's had happened again but in the passenger side this time. No it's not the road, I used Dynon road today, traffic horrible normal way.

Now I have some ideas as to what it may be.
As the noise was very similar and very clear, sounding almost like when gears are trying to come together but are still slipping.

Could it be the hubs trying to connect as they are on auto.
Cos as I was slowing down to pull over, just a few seconds before stopping I could feel the clunk (but with no noise) as they either meshed or withdrew.
Or when the gears (in an auto) went into first it made that clunking feeling.

Once again I heard it stopped, felt the clunk, had a look, drove again all ok, then it started again, I stopped again feeling that same clunk again just before stopping, didn't get out this time. Started driving again and hasn't happened again 28kms to home.
Just after the second start, as traffic was slow by then I could smell that brake paddy type smell, but I don't think it's a brake pad smell. Does gear oil or trans oil or diff oil smell when heated.
ie: assuming the noise was gearing related friction caution high temps in the oil.
Edit: I remember the smell now, it's like when you ride the clutch for ages.

Could it be auto hubs trying to engage for some reason.

Can someone please explain in donkey terms, how an auto hub operates, how it works, what it does, when does it automatically engage and for what reasons. A little broad I know, but mi be verry stoopid.

Is it like an AWD, changing power to wheels with less resistance. I don't know, just a stab in the dark.

Brains of Patrology, let there be light. Lol. NP forum forever.
GQ/U owners unite in this brain teaser.

happygu
26th March 2013, 07:18 PM
It certainly sounds like it could be one of the hubs Mego.

I know it is hard to pick, but any ideas on what direction the sound was coming from.

All the hub does is lock a gear in the end of the hub onto the end of the axle spline, thus causing the hub to be locked to the axle.

Mic

BigRAWesty
26th March 2013, 07:35 PM
To my knowledge the auto hub is like a ratchet spanner. It need drive from the axle to lock up.
But I do hear a lot of people having issues..
Next time you hear it and stop, try turning the front drive shaft.
If all good, it should spin freely, if engaged it will show resistance as your turning the whole setup.
But when you stop it may already have unlocked, so.....
Grab a laser temp reader and take some temps down of hub temps when making noise and when not.. you shouldn't see huge variants.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MEGOMONSTER
26th March 2013, 08:23 PM
I know it is hard to pick, but any ideas on what direction the sound was coming from.

Mic

Not sure what you mean by direction.
The noise was coming from the front passenger side wheel.
It almost sounds like when a kid puts a card in the spokes.(sort of)

MEGOMONSTER
26th March 2013, 08:29 PM
Anyone else want to comment!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to those who already have.

Guess what, it's had happened again but in the passenger side this time. No it's not the road, I used Dynon road today, traffic horrible normal way.

Now I have some ideas as to what it may be.
As the noise was very similar and very clear, sounding almost like when gears are trying to come together but are still slipping.

Could it be the hubs trying to connect as they are on auto.
Cos as I was slowing down to pull over, just a few seconds before stopping I could feel the clunk (but with no noise) as they either meshed or withdrew.
Or when the gears (in an auto) went into first it made that clunking feeling.

Once again I heard it stopped, felt the clunk, had a look, drove again all ok, then it started again, I stopped again feeling that same clunk again just before stopping, didn't get out this time. Started driving again and hasn't happened again 28kms to home.
Just after the second start, as traffic was slow by then I could smell that brake paddy type smell, but I don't think it's a brake pad smell. Does gear oil or trans oil or diff oil smell when heated.
ie: assuming the noise was gearing related friction caution high temps in the oil.
Edit: I remember the smell now, it's like when you ride the clutch for ages.

Could it be auto hubs trying to engage for some reason.

Can someone please explain in donkey terms, how an auto hub operates, how it works, what it does, when does it automatically engage and for what reasons. A little broad I know, but mi be verry stoopid.

Is it like an AWD, changing power to wheels with less resistance. I don't know, just a stab in the dark.

Brains of Patrology, let there be light. Lol. NP forum forever.
GQ/U owners unite in this brain teaser.

gaddy
26th March 2013, 08:36 PM
I'm no expert but is the lock on the hub in the correct position ie not halfway between lock and auto , just a thought

Gaddy

MEGOMONSTER
26th March 2013, 08:41 PM
I'm no expert but is the lock on the hub in the correct position ie not halfway between lock and auto , just a thought

Gaddy

When I stopped to have a look today realising it may be the hubs, I did check both sides to see if they were aligned properly.
Right side.
Left side: problem side today.

Sir Roofy
26th March 2013, 08:48 PM
Hi mego i dont know but could be in the valve body of the trans,if its getting that hot to smell of clutch brake, if it happens again stop some place of the road and get under and feel the tranny it will be hot but if you think its overheated maybe thats where the trouble lies thought you would have had a gauge for the transmision oil
just a thought,auto wheel lock is engaged when you put the stubby stick in gear,try moving it in and out a few times maybe its not engaged properly but then it wouldnt drive either if that was the case,but from what you where saying my guess is the valve body

you know when they run that truck down the road and suck and roll the tar bleed out the road your not running on that

gaddy
26th March 2013, 08:48 PM
It was just a thought / guess ,

Sir Roofy
26th March 2013, 08:59 PM
When I stopped to have a look today realising it may be the hubs, I did check both sides to see if they were aligned properly.
Right side.
Left side: problem side today.

get the wheel brace and move them back and forth y6ou should feel a clunk as it drops in
and be firm,dont forget to go auto again though

MEGOMONSTER
26th March 2013, 09:12 PM
could be in the valve body of the trans,if its getting that hot to smell of clutch brake, if it happens again stop some place of the road and get under and feel the tranny

I will give it a go, if it happens again.

thought you would have had a gauge for the transmission oil

Do you think it is really required?

just a thought,auto wheel lock is engaged when you put the stubby stick in gear,try moving it in and out a few times maybe its not engaged properly

I did put it into 4H on the fly after it stopped the second time. Then back into 2H again. It changed very smoothly.

MEGOMONSTER
26th March 2013, 09:26 PM
get the wheel brace and move them back and forth y6ou should feel a clunk as it drops in
and be firm,dont forget to go auto again though

Went out and done it, felt the clunk in and and click out.. Went around twice in out in out, both ways left turn right turn, on both wheels, felt firm going in and out. I could sort of hear the spring.

Alitis007
26th March 2013, 09:28 PM
The clunk your feeling is the auto dropping into first gear coz your stopping in a hurry.

If the transmission is overheating the trans oil will be an orangey pink in color and will smell like burnt fish and chips, sort of!!

happygu
26th March 2013, 09:34 PM
Not sure what you mean by direction.
The noise was coming from the front passenger side wheel.
It almost sounds like when a kid puts a card in the spokes.(sort of)

That is what i was meaning....so it sound like it is coming from the front wheel - what can happen is the gear in the hub can cause this clicking sound when they are over greased or are not working properly

I haven't had any problems with mine ever as mine gets serviced by Nissan themselves, and they wouldn't spare any extra grease.....;)

Mic

happygu
26th March 2013, 09:39 PM
Here is some more info off the net... not my pictures and not my text...

>>> G'day all,

>>> The Patrol auto hubs have a habit of making clicking noises and not engaging and disengaging properly. You can fix them by removing the auto locking mechanism, making them a manual hub. Auto becomes free and locked is still locked. And it's easy to do.

>>> Remove the hubs from the vehicle, shift them to the locked position, and using a large screw driver or small lever bar, prise out the auto locking mechanism. There are six steel tangs holding the mechanism in place, so it takes a bit of force to do. You can see which part you need to remove in the photos.

>>> http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1000882Small.jpg
Hub on the right is how it looks when you first remove it from the vehicle, hub on the left has the auto mechanism removed.

>>> http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1000880Small.jpg
This pic shows the underside of the auto mechanism. Hubs are ready to refit.

Yours is under warranty, so I would get Nissan to check it again....

MEGOMONSTER
26th March 2013, 09:39 PM
The clunk your feeling is the auto dropping into first gear coz your stopping in a hurry.

But I am stopping slowly and safely, definitely not braking hard at all. Actually probably braking and stopping with much more finesse then normal.

If the transmission is overheating the trans oil will be an orangey pink in color and will smell like burnt fish and chips, sort of!!

I check this also if it happens again.

Alitis007
26th March 2013, 09:48 PM
The auto could be shifting down a bit lazily no big deal.

If you think the brakes are staying on the disc's will be a dark bluey black color aswell

Alitis007
26th March 2013, 09:49 PM
You can check the color of the oil any time coz it should be a light red colour

MEGOMONSTER
26th March 2013, 09:54 PM
If you think the brakes are staying on the disc's will be a dark bluey black color aswell

I really don't think it has anything to do with the brakes.

MEGOMONSTER
26th March 2013, 09:55 PM
You can check the color of the oil any time coz it should be a light red colour

Yes your right. S.A

MEGOMONSTER
26th March 2013, 10:29 PM
When would the auto hub engage, under what circumstances.

billy bleed
27th March 2013, 09:14 AM
i got that sound like 'the kids put a card in the spoke' when driving.. sends me nuts and i can't see anything under the car or around the wheels on the driver side.. i always thought it was a 'reverb' when driving close to objects.. but happens all the time!

MEGOMONSTER
27th March 2013, 09:30 AM
i got that sound like 'the kids put a card in the spoke' when driving.. sends me nuts and i can't see anything under the car or around the wheels on the driver side.. i always thought it was a 'reverb' when driving close to objects.. but happens all the time!

I gotta get onto Nissan again for them to look at the hubs, hopefully they find something.

Sir Roofy
27th March 2013, 09:42 AM
when would the auto hub engage, under what circumstances.

the auto hub is live all the time,once you move the stubby stick
it engages 4x4 and the icon on the dash shows

Alitis007
27th March 2013, 01:08 PM
You haven't been driving with the hand break on ?? It happens all the time or has the hand break been adjusted??

Sir Roofy
27th March 2013, 02:04 PM
you haven't been driving with the hand break on ?? It happens all the time or has the hand break been adjusted??

you know goerge i thought of that as well but nah mego,s to switched on for that one

Alitis007
27th March 2013, 02:12 PM
you know goerge i thought of that as well but nah mego,s to switched on for that one

Some times it can be up 1 click and you'll never notice but was just a thought. In this trade anything is possible, we had a lady complain for months about a rattle she got after we serviced her car after 3 days testing we found a glass platter she had forgotten in the back had slid under the passengers seat at was tapping the rail!!!

MEGOMONSTER
27th March 2013, 04:16 PM

Thanks Roofy, your too kind.
But just because the lights are on, doesn't mean anybody's home.
LOL
Seriously though, I did check that the first time it happened the second time around and can confirm handbrake was fully disengaged.

MEGOMONSTER
31st May 2013, 04:15 PM
2 months now and hasn't returned, thank god.

Sir Roofy
31st May 2013, 04:37 PM

tell us your thoughts mick whats the verdict

happygu
31st May 2013, 04:54 PM

Cyclist has fallen out......

MEGOMONSTER
31st May 2013, 05:08 PM
tell us your thoughts mick whats the verdict

I got no idea, I will get Nissan to check the hubs at the next service.

MEGOMONSTER
31st May 2013, 05:10 PM
Cyclist has fallen out......

Funny you should say that, I reckon there was millimetres of just missing a cyclist just now.

mudnut
31st May 2013, 05:35 PM
I had weird noises for a while in my GQ, recently. It turned out to be the handbrake binding on very slightly. The noise appeared to be coming from the front passenger side wheel. I could drive for upwards of half an hour and turn and it would show up. Maybe the heat from the moving parts make the handbrake pads expand enough to start grabbing enough to make a noise? In the end, it started to show up after I used the handbrake while the nose was pointing down hill.

Morton
13th June 2013, 11:03 PM
auto hubs make that noise when they are trying to engage