PDA

View Full Version : Rear lower control arm bolts

twase
19th March 2013, 08:18 PM
How do you undo them, I want to replace the bushes before I reinstall the sub tank. Swinging of the front nut with a breaker bar and using my feet on the rear wheel for extra leverage and it won't budge.

Parksy
19th March 2013, 08:27 PM
Inox them everyday for a week before attempting the job. I used a breaker bar with a bottle jack to undo the nut and the vehicle lifted before I even cracked the nut. I jumped on the vehicle while the entire weight of the patrol was on the nut and this still didn't crack the nut. I ended up using a steel pipe on the breaker bar while using the front wheels to push myself against the breaker bar and the nut cracked with a very loud and violent bang. My arms hurt for days, those bolts are seriously tough units. Make sure you anti seize the crap out of the bolts and threads on re installation.

twase
19th March 2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, I was going to get the rattle gun out and give that a go but I can only get to the bolt side not the nut.

rottodiver
19th March 2013, 08:33 PM
It never ceases to amaze me what those 12v rattle guns undo, I haven't found a nut on any of the cars that it doesn't undo!!

Parksy
19th March 2013, 08:42 PM
No probs. I forgot to mention a broke one of my breakerbars during this. Good luck!

nissannewby
19th March 2013, 10:50 PM
Cut them and buy new ones. Bolts are cheap.

Parksy
20th March 2013, 04:38 AM
I tried sourcing new lower control arm bolts. The fwd ones, in metric, over $30 each. For what ever reason it's cheaper to buy imperial.
Despite the bolt having a 7 stamped on the head, they are 8.8 grade high tensile steel bolts.

twase
20th March 2013, 07:55 AM
Not looking forward to this task now. I need to do all the control arm bushes front and back. Are they all going to be the same?

BigRAWesty
20th March 2013, 08:53 AM
Probably.. have you got access to a good heating device? Like a jet style lighter?
Or oxy set? If so heat one side of the nut and while hot try undoing.. heat expands metal, but you have to be quick because as the heat soaks threw the rest of the bolt Expands to...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MudRunnerTD
20th March 2013, 09:10 AM
It never ceases to amaze me what those 12v rattle guns undo, I haven't found a nut on any of the cars that it doesn't undo!!

Officially!

The Greatest Rattle Gun EVER MADE (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12volt-IMPACT-GUN-RATTLE-GUN-4x4-CAMPING-CARAVAN-MOTORHOME-12v-/370778126202?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item565419377a&_uhb=1#ht_885wt_959)

buy one of these and it will undo your bolts without too much trouble. <<<--- That is the Unit that Rottodiver mentioned! Rate this Item VERY HIGHLY!

Parksy
20th March 2013, 09:14 AM
It's not that bad. Just technique. I find I can get the greatest force when I'm pulling the bar towards myself while using my feet on a wheel or chassis or anything to keep me stationary. Lifting the bar upwards or trying to use body weight proved useless. I'm hoping this makes sense.
Try not to have the breaker bar parallel to the ground, but perpendicular. If you have a steel pipe to extend the bar, you will probably have clearance issues so it's not a drama if you can't get it perpendicular, but something close to this angle will give you the best possible leverage for pulling the bar. Make sure your arms are perfectly straight before you start pulling, just to give you an idea on what kind of position you'll be in. Use your legs as well to push because you will need everything.

twase
25th March 2013, 12:36 PM
Man were they tight, 3' breaker bar with a hand winch attached to the chassis had the bar bending befor it finally let go with a few loud cracks. All for nothing anyway as the rubbers were in serviceable condition and the ones I had we're not for the lowers anyway.

Squalo
27th March 2013, 12:48 AM
I'd only ever crack those bolts if I were fitting heavy duty control arms; it's hardly worth the effort just to replace bushes in the stock macaroni control arms. If you work your Patrol hard offroad you are taking a big risk with stock lower arms; when they bend (or break!) the diff pinion goes next, and sometimes your tyres will attack the inner guards as well. All very expensive, and that's not taking into account the difficulty in getting your damaged vehicle roadworthy again in rough terrain, or recovered if it can't be fixed trackside.

I've been on the scene where a Patrol has done both arms, we had spare arms to fit but because it had sliders fitted we simply couldn't remove the bolts to get the bent arms out! (slider prevented access to the bolts).

When I fitted Superior lower arms to mine I laid my old arms down on the garage floor, and one was bowed... it was just a matter of time. And interestingly, once that bowed arm was changed out, my front end shakes went away :)

Ben-e-boy
27th March 2013, 01:06 AM
I'd only ever crack those bolts if I were fitting heavy duty control arms; it's hardly worth the effort just to replace bushes in the stock macaroni control arms. If you work your Patrol hard offroad you are taking a big risk with stock lower arms; when they bend (or break!) the diff pinion goes next, and sometimes your tyres will attack the inner guards as well. All very expensive, and that's not taking into account the difficulty in getting your damaged vehicle roadworthy again in rough terrain, or recovered if it can't be fixed trackside.

I've been on the scene where a Patrol has done both arms, we had spare arms to fit but because it had sliders fitted we simply couldn't remove the bolts to get the bent arms out! (slider prevented access to the bolts).

When I fitted Superior lower arms to mine I laid my old arms down on the garage floor, and one was bowed... it was just a matter of time. And interestingly, once that bowed arm was changed out, my front end shakes went away :)

agreed. I have seen a few bent control arms at the glasshouse including mine. also seen 1 bloke snap both lowers.

twase
27th March 2013, 06:28 AM
agreed. I have seen a few bent control arms at the glasshouse including mine. also seen 1 bloke snap both lowers.

Mine will never see serious off road as I am building it for towing/ touring. The only reason they were off was to confirm the bush condition before the sub tank was installed, in my case it's a right pain to install this tank.