PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel boss kit issues

GQOFF4BN
19th March 2013, 03:08 PM
Hi guys long time reader this is only my first post after the introduction. Anyway...I have a 96 GQ with a series two steering column. Yesterday i took my steering wheel off as it is unroadworthy and falling apart. I have a steering wheel and a boss off a series one steering column i used to have on my old 91 GQ, SAAS wheel and boss kit number bk144L (autotechnica 435)

I tried putting it on my new patrol series 2 column, and the boss won't slide down on the splines far enough to fit into the plastic surround. Also the plastic surround hole is much larger than on my series one steering column???:icon_bonk:

I have done some research and apparently cause my car is a GQ TI it may have had an air bag at some stage??? There is no air bag in the steering wheel i took off or SRS air bag light like the new cars and 4wd's have. I does look like the plastic horn piece has been glued back together at some stage. :icon_bonk:

Im not sure wether to look at a GU boss which is a bk193L (autotechnica 437)??? Or where it leaves me??? Have rung around all the autobarns and supercheaps to see if they have a bk193L i could have a look at, but no one carrys one! Has anyone else had this trouble, or have a solution as i cannot find a TI steering wheel at wreckers the same as my old one, as they are different to the plain ones. Thanks to anyone's help in advance. :wink:

Bloodyaussie
19th March 2013, 04:51 PM
You need to introduce yourself mate......

Did not know they ever had an airbag????

GQOFF4BN
19th March 2013, 05:19 PM
Sorry about that! Thought i did it years ago when i first started reading the forum but have never posted. All signed up and ready to roll :)

Bloodyaussie
19th March 2013, 05:35 PM
What state are you in.... I had trouble with mine and the mob that handle my steering wheel have a factory warehouse in Tullarmarine and were more than happy for me to come down so they could help me with my problem??

GQOFF4BN
19th March 2013, 05:44 PM
Im in Vic Yarra Valley, tulla is the other side of the world but to solve the problem, it would be worth the drive! What brand of boss kits are they selling?

On another note the plastic piece you press on the factory wheel was in half a dozen pieces and was glued together, the other day a dude cut me off and i slammed on the horn and broke it, hense why im replacing the wheel.

I've never heard of a GQ with an air bag so when i was told it might be an air bag wheel i was surprised, it definately looks like an air bag wheel and has the space in the wheel for and air bag need to post some pics, got to work out how!!! This might set the car amongst the pigeons!