PDA

View Full Version : New Patrol Owner

billy bleed
17th March 2013, 01:35 PM
Hey, so I purchased myself a 98 GUST dual fuel - My last car was a 74 MG so to me this thing is luxury and somewhat massive!

Main reason for my purchase was for trips around Australia and to finally do locum work as a social worker out bush for a year or more. I don't have the first clue about cars of any description but do the basic stuff before purchasing and was told it was well looked after with min off road time and with a 190k on the clock would be hard to find something close..

Who knows.. it's always a lottery with cars.. but so far she is great except that i only get around 350km on the tank of gas so i might be a bit heavy on the pedal?

She looks pretty stock to me and maybe you can tell what I have and I am hoping that you can offer some thoughts on where to start with upgrades for a tourer?

I also want to upgrade the in dash stereo and sat nav.. + what other recommendations people can offer to start off with - I will be also purchasing a roof top tent.

billy bleed
17th March 2013, 01:43 PM
Also.. this is the fun part..

image 407 - is the 4wd gear stick in the right position?

image 408 - what does this button mean?

image 409 - what is that switch next to my gas/petrol switch?

It gets better.. don't stop laughing yet...

image 410 - what the heck does this do?

image 411 - what is this little bit of technology and what is it telling me?

I'm going to take her for a service soon to start a fresh and see if anything needs working on or will in the near future for budgeting.. any recommendations of places in the western suburbs of melbourne?

Wine_maker
17th March 2013, 04:54 PM
Welcome billy bleed!
409 it is for switch on the lights on the front bullbar.
410 For antenna up and down.
411 I think it is turbotimer system or EGT display.
408 automatic transmission sport regime I think.
407 normal 2wd position.

alexx
18th March 2013, 01:41 AM
I think image 409 is the front bumper fog lamp switch, if you refer the swith on the right.
You may check the inside of the driver's visor for the various postion of 4wd shift under Image 407.

You are most welcome to the forum if you visit the intro section first.

billy bleed
18th March 2013, 11:53 AM
thanks guys.. it seems neither the light or antenna switch work.. umm!

growler2058
18th March 2013, 12:55 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Sent from the crapper while on tappa

NP99
18th March 2013, 02:07 PM
Welcome mate..............is that rain in the pics? :-)

MEGOMONSTER
18th March 2013, 06:24 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

billy bleed
18th March 2013, 06:33 PM
Welcome mate..............is that rain in the pics? :-)

yeah.. how come?

BigRAWesty
18th March 2013, 07:25 PM
Welcome mate. Its possible the switches are factory fitted options, which aren't fitted... Is the radio antenna a retractable one or fixed?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

billy bleed
18th March 2013, 08:15 PM
the antenna retracts when stereo is turned off but not via the switch.. still cant work out how to turn the lights on the bulbar on though.. scratching head!

that AT switch next to the gear stick has one way which lights up hold and the other way which lights up AT - should I only use that when i'm in 4wd mode?

edit: "power and hold" sorry..

lhurley
18th March 2013, 09:34 PM
the antenna retracts when stereo is turned off but not via the switch.. still cant work out how to turn the lights on the bulbar on though.. scratching head!

that AT switch next to the gear stick has one way which lights up hold and the other way which lights up AT - should I only use that when i'm in 4wd mode?

edit: "power and hold" sorry..

Your antenna button might be dead? my antenna doesnt move at all so dont be worried.

The AT button changes the autos gear change characteristics, hold is for towing, ie will hold the gear. Power is for POWER!! ie just holds the gears longer then normal, it should flash red a couple times when the car turns on.

I think the switch beside the gas control is for "fog lights" for turning the upper brake lights on, im not sure on that 1, flick it on and go for a walk around the car? or check its actually connected to stuff, ive got 3 in my dash i didnt know what they did until i pulled 1 out and it had nothing behind it.

Also, where is you gauge for your gas level? The 350km/tank might be due to the size of the tank, do you know how big the tank is? Remember that only 80% of the gas tank is usable.

NP99
19th March 2013, 07:19 AM
yeah.. how come?

Thought you were in a mini heat wave.

Bloodyaussie
19th March 2013, 08:26 AM
Welcome aboard mate..............

Acidik
27th March 2013, 12:37 PM
Welcome aboard!

Certainly answered a couple of my questions!

commsman
29th March 2013, 04:53 PM
image 411 - what is this little bit of technology and what is it telling me?

If I'm correct I believe this is an old Tandy (remember them - You've got questions, we've got blank stares) 12 volt powered clock and indoor / out door thermometer. There may be a couple of other settings in it as well.

I remember seeing them in Tandy catalogues for years and a mate had one in his car (again years ago like about 1994).

Coming out of the back are probably a couple of wires which if you trace them will probably go to 12 volt power somewhere to power up the device, as well as (I think) a headlight sensing wire so it dims when the headlights are on and there should also be an outside thermometer wire leading to the outside of the car somewhere.

From memory one of the other settings on these was voltage so you could tell (sort of) what your voltage was like. Of course if the voltage isn't tapped directly to the battery then it's not going to be a true reading anyway, but it would give you an indication if the battery voltage was really low or if it was OK.

Cheers,

Brian.

my third 256
29th March 2013, 07:07 PM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

thelawz
29th March 2013, 09:44 PM
As far as I can understand from the owners manual the AT switch does the following:

Power - keep in each gear for longer and change gears at higher revs for more power.
AT - normal driving.
Hold - will take off in second to prevent wheel spin in slippery conditions such as snow, mud or sand.

All postions of the A switch can be used in 2wd or 4wd.

I stand under correction. Take some time to explore your Patrol. It is part of the fun.

Jock
30th March 2013, 07:21 AM
Hi and welcome. Engage your Hi-Beam first to get your driving lights to activate.

Cheers

billy bleed
30th March 2013, 02:23 PM
Figured the high beam and spot lights now!

The night skies have come alive!

Lowie
1st April 2013, 09:47 PM
350 clicks out of a tank full of gas is good. I'd be happy with that :-)

Lowie
1st April 2013, 09:50 PM
There's a few mods for "miniumum" off road time me thinks...

Yabb
13th April 2013, 01:07 PM
Welcome Billy,
The antenna switch will only take effect when the radio is on. If the switch is in the down position the antenna will be at half mast, if in the up position the antenna will be fully extended.

ellan
15th April 2013, 04:27 PM
congrats on getting the new Patrol here i have a little suggestion that any vehicle will be work good if you maintain the vehicle by proper checkup either the vehicle new or used do just care your care as you can.

4by
16th April 2013, 11:13 PM
350 clicks out of a tank full of gas is good. I'd be happy with that :-)

Think thats what most get from their 4.5. Hope your happy with the car so far... I love mine..