PDA

View Full Version : plenum, inlet manifold, what have you done on your td42?

Jacket_1985
16th March 2013, 06:52 PM
Im making up a cardboard template to experiment with different ideas.

What do we think? iv basically just raised the lid by 50mm like i was told by pete, and extended the natural lines of the manifold. the inlet iv put over pots 3 and nearly up to 4, and iv put a camber on the back of it, so the air is hopefully less turbulent returning to pots 1 and 2.

Question: Do i have enough volume inside the manifold?

Question: Is it better to have the inlet flatter? (ie not pointing up but pointing more towards the inlet ports)

Ben-e-boy
16th March 2013, 07:13 PM
hey mate .

my advice is to get rid of all the square edges. you are better of rolling the added piece and flaring the spout where it meets the plennum. ill send you a picture of mine tonight on my phone atm
cheers

benny

Robo
17th March 2013, 02:46 AM
food for thought.
found this on ebay some time back for TB engine.
design ideas.
cheers

going to large can effect airflow speed, resulting in reduced air flow volume/speed.
Also get the design wrong and ya can cause different air cc volume per cylinder.
ie- rich at cyl 6, and lean cyl 1.

smooth constant flow, good velosity matters alot for power, torque and faster response to peddle input.
the pictured design ticks the boxes so to speak.

search ebay-- TB48 Intake Manifold. $300-600 but make sure supplier has same internall design as pictured its critical to performance

nissannewby
17th March 2013, 12:46 PM
The above pictured manifold would be the best option the design is proven for flow and hp as seen on hypo 4.8s and the likes of the RB series motor.

Jacket_1985
17th March 2013, 08:50 PM
The above pictured manifold would be the best option the design is proven for flow and hp as seen on hypo 4.8s and the likes of the RB series motor.

would the diesel be different from a petty? a lot more airflow in a diesel.

nissannewby
17th March 2013, 09:03 PM
Not particularly cos these manifolds are proven to 1000hp or so in some applications which I would a diesel pushing a third of tha horsepower would have similar air flow requirements.

97EK1
18th April 2013, 10:42 AM
One of these would go well with my front mount setup i would hope, but hasn't swaffy made up simmilar ones to this in the past?

PMC
18th April 2013, 12:51 PM

I agree 100% with nissannewby,

Regards,

RLI

Ben-e-boy
18th April 2013, 01:17 PM
hey mate .

my advice is to get rid of all the square edges. you are better of rolling the added piece and flaring the spout where it meets the plennum. ill send you a picture of mine tonight on my phone atm
cheers

benny

woops I forgot about this
here is a pic.

Tristan d
20th April 2013, 09:46 PM
In regards to Jacket's design, surely that is too much plenum volume, maybe tapering the ends in would help not to create excessive lag but I dont have much experience with designing these things