PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing behind dash - blowing fuse

koliilok
13th March 2013, 02:56 PM
Hey,
i have an electrical issue in my GQ with a tb42e. It started off by making a buzzing noise from behind the dash and the stereo turning off, the buzzing increased with rpm and after a few minutes would go away.

I was driving to work yesterday and the buzzing started, i lost power for a second and kept doing it all the way back home again. I replaced the main earth and fitted a smaller one from the battery to the body, i also changed terminals. I noticed that the fusible link coming off the positive terminal was melted and the auto elec said they are 25amp or there abouts. I fitted a 40amp inline fuse and it blew that after making a louder buzzing noise.
The voltage on the gauge fluctuated from its normal 14ish volts up to 18 and then below 12 and stayed just below 12.
Now with the engine running i'm getting 13.4 volts at the battery and alternator.

Is there a short circuit happening? I fitted good earths so i'm assuming its not that.

i'm going to try replacing the alternator tonight and see if that fixes the voltage problem.

What size are the fusible links from factory? 25amp seems much too low to me, i would be thinking in excess of 50amp would be better.

Any suggestions are much appreciated

Yendor
14th March 2013, 03:12 PM
Where abouts in the dash is the buzzing noise coming from?

The buzzing noise could be caused by a short which could also be why the 40 amp fuse has blown or the noise could be coming from a relay.

The alternator voltage could of been fluctuating due to the melted terminal.

Does your vehicle have the wire fusible links or the plastic type fusible links.

If it's the main fusible link you are referring to it will need to be a 50 or 60 amp fuse.

You need to find out what was causing the buzzing noise first.

koliilok
17th March 2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks for your reply. I found the buzzing to be coming from the head unit, i have since removed it and ran new power wires to the new one. All the problems are solved!!

Corey

BundyDave
28th March 2013, 09:25 PM
Hey mate fuses are there to protect your wiring. I wouldn't be putting a larger fuse in if one kept blowing. You obviously have a short somewhere. Fix it then put the correct fuse in or risk your beloved truck burning to the ground.
Dave

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2