PDA

View Full Version : Cold starting issues "Help"

whastie
12th March 2013, 10:11 PM
Hi Guys, have joined today. Have a 1998 GU 2.8L TD Manual Y61 and am having a few problems with starting. Have changed the Glow Plugs but problem persists. Engine will crank over but will not fire. Can get it started after a while - need to trun glow light on approx. 4 times (and sometimes repeat the process a few times) to get it to fire up, a real pain.

I have been told to look at the relay - on right hand side of steering wheel colum above internal fuse box. Which I have done, but there are 3 of them and do not know which one is the right one.

Any assistance would be appreciated ?
Also any other possible causes that I can investigate ?

Regards
Wayne

whastie
13th March 2013, 05:02 PM
Have now also found out there is a further relay in same compartment. There are 3 with blue caps and above them there is one which seems to be all brown.
Anyone able to let me know what the brown one is for ????

Regards
Wayne

fracster
13th March 2013, 05:22 PM
I feel your pain mate, mine is the same.

Can anybody point me to where the glow plug relay is, that is one thing I have not swapped yet?

wildgu6
13th March 2013, 06:00 PM
have heard gen Nissan glowys fix the prob on 2.8s, for some reason they only accept gen'.
What I've heard anyway????

TAPPN OUT

fracster
13th March 2013, 07:45 PM
Mine has a full set of Nissan plugs in it mate.

They did improve things a lot, but it still ain`t right.

whastie
13th March 2013, 08:08 PM
Could be - I had genuine Nissan plugs in (which looked O.K. when replaced) issue is exactly the same as before. Will get a new set of Nissan plugs after I have checked out other options (if all else fails).

Regards
Wayne

Yendor
14th March 2013, 01:46 PM
The glow plug relay is mounted under the bonnet on the RHS inner guard between the battery and firewall.

You need to check you are getting power to the glow plugs. Connect a voltmeter or test light to the busbar and confirm there is power there when glowing.

Some people find it starts easier if they wait for the airbag light to go off before trying to start the vehicle.

fracster
15th March 2013, 05:48 AM
The glow plug relay is mounted under the bonnet on the RHS inner guard between the battery and firewall.

You need to check you are getting power to the glow plugs. Connect a voltmeter or test light to the busbar and confirm there is power there when glowing.

Some people find it starts easier if they wait for the airbag light to go off before trying to start the vehicle.
My weekend job sorted, car elecs are a major weak point for me, so i may be asking some dumb questions.

Thanks for the info so far mate, appreciate it.

So the voltmeter should read 12v when the engine is cold and the ignition on, between the buzbar and negative?

It does start better if I leave it till about 10 secs after the airbag light goes off,is there some sort of secondary system on it?

Yendor
15th March 2013, 08:40 AM
My weekend job sorted, car elecs are a major weak point for me, so i may be asking some dumb questions.

Thanks for the info so far mate, appreciate it.

So the voltmeter should read 12v when the engine is cold and the ignition on, between the buzbar and negative?

It does start better if I leave it till about 10 secs after the airbag light goes off,is there some sort of secondary system on it?

Yes,

Set the voltmeter up so you can see it and also see the glow plug warning light in the dash. Then turn the ignition on (engine cold) the voltmeter should read and the glow plug warning light should come on.

After a set period of time (depends on engine temperature) the glow plug warning light in the dash will go out but the voltmeter will still keep reading.

The glow plugs still keep heating up after the warning light goes out in the dash. This is why it starts better if you wait longer.

If you now start the vehicle the glow plug warning light will still be out but the glow plugs will still continue to heat up for a another set period of time or until engine speed goes above a set amount.

whastie
15th March 2013, 10:08 AM
I would like to thank everyone who has assisted with this issue, there are obviously some experienced and smart cookies as members. There is really no substitute for experience with this sort of problem as evidenced by the comments. I will work my way through the suggestions and see how we go.

Much appreciated to all.

Regards
Wayne

fracster
15th March 2013, 10:12 AM
Yes,

Set the voltmeter up so you can see it and also see the glow plug warning light in the dash. Then turn the ignition on (engine cold) the voltmeter should read and the glow plug warning light should come on.

After a set period of time (depends on engine temperature) the glow plug warning light in the dash will go out but the voltmeter will still keep reading.

The glow plugs still keep heating up after the warning light goes out in the dash. This is why it starts better if you wait longer.

If you now start the vehicle the glow plug warning light will still be out but the glow plugs will still continue to heat up for a another set period of time or until engine speed goes above a set amount.

Mate, your a star,thanks a lot fella.

I`ll spend some time with it over the weekend and report back.