PDA

View Full Version : shock absorbers

kevin07
12th March 2013, 07:34 PM
as i have just put a winch and steel bar on i want to put a set of bit heavier shocks on the front im looking at some rancho rs 5000

BigRAWesty
12th March 2013, 08:06 PM
as i have just put a winch and steel bar on i want to put a set of bit heavier shocks on the front im looking at some rancho rs 5000

Why's shocks? They don't take any weight, just slow the rebound to take any voice out.
If your worried about weight you need heavier springs..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

kevin07
12th March 2013, 08:12 PM
i know what your saying about the springs just looking for something short term for about a year then ill put 2 inches through all but theres a problem with that sort of coin for the moment

BigRAWesty
12th March 2013, 08:40 PM
Then don't worry about them if its sagging little then stick in some coil spacers in the short term.
Finish the mods then get specialized advice on what rate springs and style of shocks to invest in.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

grimace
12th March 2013, 09:44 PM
springs will cost around the same amount as the shocks anyway, also take a look on ebay you can pick up second hand gear for next to nothing. i have a set of front spring spacers 30mm brand new TOUGH DOG brand that i bought as a full set (4 of) already fitted the rear but decided not to use them on the front, they cost me $160 will sell the front for $50 if you interested.
fitting is easy *raise the front of the truck and support on stands then remove the front wheels.
*slide a hydraulic jack under the truck and support the weight of the diff housing at the mushroom.
*undo the bottom nut off the shock on both sides and also the top nut off the sway bar links both sides
*then there is 2 bolts on top of the spring tower which is fixing a cover remove these and under that is another nut which holds the bump stop, remove this both sides
*now it is a matter of lowering the diff slowly until the springs can be removed being careful not to stretch the brake line too much.
if you are going to fit spring spacers be sure to cable tie them on top of the spring for hassle free fitting and this method can also be used to fit 2" springs but any higher and you will need spring compressors. this method works well and should not take more than a couple of hours at the very most......cheers......

* now is just a matter of