PDA

View Full Version : Battery over charging and then going flat?

oilpond
12th March 2013, 07:01 PM
Pls help,my td42 with a vacuum alternater has been over charging my batt and spewing acid every where:(Bay was pristine 6months ago when i bought it:) I had afew flat batterys from time to time and put it down to a shite batt but it is getting worse and spewing acid all over the bay and go's flat sooo fast now that i can watch the gauge move down very fast?Today it was flat and i charged a battery and the batt said 12v summin or other with a meter and when i turn ignition on it says 9v on the dash and drops very fast?I had her stuck in the mud and rain for three days with the windows down filling her with mud and water for the first time in her life not long ago and i just thought the car was pissed at me as she had low miles and had not been off road:( Is this my alternater people?300bux to replace:(farrk) allso i have been useing cheap oil in her(woolies brand(shame) but not going far and changing every few weeks and then dumping that in the tank but after changing the other day and a few days later i checked and it smells burnt and not happy:( but first is this my alternater you think?I have checked fuses and cleaned earths i need my car to get the kids to school but am but a poor fat cripple and would like to fix this as cheap as possible but...I have googled allready and have no concrete answer.Thanks guys:)me smileing(not really):frown:
Allso now i have rust spots popping up and i guess that is the car ionising from the acid ect?

threedogs
12th March 2013, 07:09 PM
Check your Alternator

rottodiver
12th March 2013, 07:12 PM
Can't really help but sounds like the troll is telling you something..... I actually felt bad for it reading that :(
Scotty

oilpond
12th March 2013, 07:14 PM
Check your Alternator

Yeah other then takeing her to a leccy and forking over 110 for him to say its your alternater do you know of a way to check to see if its bung?

mudnut
12th March 2013, 07:14 PM
X2 for check alternator, especially if mud and water entered it.

Bloodyaussie
12th March 2013, 07:25 PM
Is it the reg rec in the Alternator gone.... have you run a multi meter over it... if so what are the results???

oilpond
12th March 2013, 07:45 PM
Is it the reg rec in the Alternator gone.... have you run a multi meter over it... if so what are the results???
Aussie i read summin about an external reg on the left side well but couldnt see it? Pls point this misserable bastard in the right direction.

the evil twin
12th March 2013, 07:59 PM
Aussie i read summin about an external reg on the left side well but couldnt see it? Pls point this misserable bastard in the right direction.

I'd bet your battery is shagged at the very least.

Beg, borrow, get a battery that is charged up, pop it in and start the engine.
Put a multimeter across the terminals.
If it is under 13 volts then the Alternator is U/S or the sense wire/plug is U/S
If it is high 13 to low 14 then the Alternaotr is OK and your original Battery is shagged

AB
12th March 2013, 08:27 PM

If it is under 13 volts then the Alternator is U/S or the sense wire/plug is U/S
If it is high 13 to low 14 then the Alternaotr is OK and your original Battery is shagged

x 2 with the above, sounds like your regulator is gone and overcharging.

AB
12th March 2013, 08:35 PM
allso i have been useing cheap oil in her(woolies brand(shame)

Thats no good either mate, get some decent blood in your beast!

happygu
12th March 2013, 08:37 PM
New alternator coming up..........

threedogs
12th March 2013, 08:41 PM
If your brushes are worn and only touching on the outside of comutator this will cause
over charging as well,and boil batteries.

oilpond
12th March 2013, 08:48 PM

Evil it runs 14 and abit volts at idle but half my engine bay is rusted from over charging so must increase with revs so i guess the regulater is gone which is good cause im broker then a hookers hole but pls save me hours and point me in the direction of the regulater? And yeah the battery that came with her has no breather holes and has one dead cell and is all swollen(eek) but holds a charge.I did get a nice larger 4x4 battery for nix but dont wont to wreck that as it bubbles like mad when running and then go's flat fast?<<<Slave to the machine but wouldnt have it any other way!

oilpond
12th March 2013, 08:49 PM
Would you sugest remove it and take it to a leccy for a bench test? And thank you and every one...

oilpond
12th March 2013, 08:50 PM
New alternator coming up..........
Sobs quietly...

oilpond
12th March 2013, 08:51 PM
x 2 with the above, sounds like your regulator is gone and overcharging.
Yeah its starting to sound that way but where is it?Can i remove it and have it tested?Thanks.

threedogs
12th March 2013, 08:52 PM
Hopefully a change over Alternator will be cheaper than buying another outright

AB
12th March 2013, 08:57 PM
Yeah its starting to sound that way but where is it?Can i remove it and have it tested?Thanks.

I would take the alternator out and take it to an Autoelec to check it out. It could be the brushes as TD said but it could be the regulator too in which case a new alternator may just be easier.

If It's the brushes it may only cost $100-$150 if you know the bloke, exact same thing happened to me and my battery almost exploded and ended up being the brushes, easy fix!

happygu
12th March 2013, 09:23 PM
Evil it runs 14 and abit volts at idle but half my engine bay is rusted from over charging so must increase with revs so i guess the regulater is gone which is good cause im broker then a hookers hole but pls save me hours and point me in the direction of the regulater? And yeah the battery that came with her has no breather holes and has one dead cell and is all swollen(eek) but holds a charge.I did get a nice larger 4x4 battery for nix but dont wont to wreck that as it bubbles like mad when running and then go's flat fast?<<<Slave to the machine but wouldnt have it any other way!

Once the battery swollen in size you can virtually guarantee that the battery is wrecked .

It only takes one bad cell to destroy a battery