PDA

View Full Version : In need of advice gu8

macka82
12th March 2013, 04:16 PM
Hi everyone. Have posted a thread on is before but this time I have more info and evidence. Went away for the long weekend and once again noticed how often the engine fan for the radiator kicks in.. 28-35 deg temp outside. 100-110 kmh and the fan engages every 1.5 minutes for approx 45 secs each time. Tested this over a 50 km distance and sure enough without fail turns on every time. Was traveling the Calder hwy which is fairly flat. Cruise control on. Standard tires, no bull bar, no camper trailer, just some luggage, 2 adults, and 2 toddlers... Surely this can't be right as imagine if I was fully loaded with all the accessories a man would want and camper in tow.... The old fuel economy goes up to as e tank prior was 1 Lt 100km better and that was mostly around town... Does any one else have this too? Spoke to local dealer and he suggested I may have been 4 wd and filled my radiator up wi mud..... Ah... Please not that stupid. And it's barely got the tires dirty.... Will book it in soon and see what they say but I'm not holding my breath.
Any help would be great. Cheers

happygu
15th March 2013, 12:00 PM
Hi Macka,

Just trying to workout what you are after.....

Is it overheating at all?

What is your overall economy?

What is the main problem?

Mic

BearGUST
15th March 2013, 03:17 PM
Exactly what I was thinking happygtu...
What is the actual fault with the car? Not saying you are macka, but some people go looking for problems rather than just driving and enjoying their new cars.

Bob
15th March 2013, 03:20 PM
The Fan works whenever you have the A/c on
The Fan starts up when Key is turned on if the A/c button is in

Alitis007
15th March 2013, 05:47 PM
It could be a couple of things mate,
1 thermostat could be jammed half open and not allowing flow
2 the clutch fan is not engaging and the thermo fan is kicking in to assist in cooling
3 as said above the A/C is on
4 the radiator is internally blocked not allowing the flow thru it to cool the cooling system correctly
5 the water pumps impeller has corroded its fins away and the water is not circulating correctly.

It could also be a combination of things and it won't necessarily have to over heat either!

What type of motor do you have??

macka82
15th March 2013, 08:10 PM
Hi Macka,

Just trying to workout what you are after.....

Is it overheating at all?

What is your overall economy?

What is the main problem?

Mic

Hey mic
Thanks for the reply. As far as I know it's not overheating the temp gauge doesn't move and I don't have a scan gauge so can't see water temp. Our gu does get good economy around town 11.9 -12.5. Reason for the post is why does the main engine powered fan has to operate at highway speeds when there is an abundance of airflow through the radiator and air con cooler. As bob mentioned in a later response that the fan turns on with the ac, this is not the case with gu8's. mine and every other gu8 I have seen do not have the electric thermo fan for the air con as the older models do, therefore relying on the engine fan when in traffic to cool the air con radiator. Very happy with gu just noticed its unusual how often the fan engages at high speed. I have driven a large variety of 4 wds and not noticed this previously.

happygu
15th March 2013, 08:27 PM
Hey mic
Thanks for the reply. As far as I know it's not overheating the temp gauge doesn't move and I don't have a scan gauge so can't see water temp. Our gu does get good economy around town 11.9 -12.5. Reason for the post is why does the main engine powered fan has to operate at highway speeds when there is an abundance of airflow through the radiator and air con cooler. As bob mentioned in a later response that the fan turns on with the ac, this is not the case with gu8's. mine and every other gu8 I have seen do not have the electric thermo fan for the air con as the older models do, therefore relying on the engine fan when in traffic to cool the air con radiator. Very happy with gu just noticed its unusual how often the fan engages at high speed. I have driven a large variety of 4 wds and not noticed this previously.

Macka,

Yours sounds the same as mine, fuel economy wise....My Temp gauge never moves off just under halfway once it is warmed up.

Will check the fan though to see if mine s similar - never heard it at highway speeds, and have never got out to check it either.... :)

Mic

happygu
15th March 2013, 08:28 PM
Oh, and I also find that there is no fuel difference in town or on the highway....basically the same all the time.

Mic

vfamily
16th March 2013, 07:14 PM
A GU8 does not have a thermo electric fan they are only fitted with the viscous fan, ac on or off will not effect the viscous fan

vfamily
16th March 2013, 07:15 PM
seems like you are getting great economy I take it you have a manual