PDA

View Full Version : Should I change thermostat?

Winnie
11th March 2013, 07:00 PM
Hey guys, just taken my radiator out to be cleaned professionally because it's been running a bit hot and I suspect it's blocked. Is it worth changing the thermostat at the same time? It's a cheap part ($40 genuine TD42 thermostat off eBay) so it really doesn't bother me having to change it....

Next question is, should I go with the genuine thermostat?

happygu
11th March 2013, 07:01 PM
Yes - I would go genuine.

Nothing worse than worrying about the motor getting too hot.

Mic

growler2058
11th March 2013, 07:02 PM
put it in boiling water and see if it works first before shelling out for a newy

happygu
11th March 2013, 07:04 PM
Winnie,

Mine used to run hot, on a hot day if you pushed it a little hard ( as in the gauge would push from its normal day to day running position to just under 3/4, and it always used to scare the ... out of me ), but as soon as you backed off, it would drop fairly quickly back to normal.

Mic

Winnie
11th March 2013, 07:05 PM
Good idea Growler thanks I'll try that now.

Winnie
11th March 2013, 07:07 PM
Winnie,

Mine used to run hot, on a hot day if you pushed it a little hard ( as in the gauge would push from its normal day to day running position to just under 3/4, and it always used to scare the ... out of me ), but as soon as you backed off, it would drop fairly quickly back to normal.

Mic

What made it stop doing that? Mine was running between half and 3/4 on the freeway (even when I backed off to 80km/h) and got to 3/4 when going up a long hill. When I got to the downhill section it cooled down very quickly and doesn't increase at idle either.

Winnie
11th March 2013, 07:20 PM
Just checked the thermostat and it's all good. It looks brand new, then I remembered the guy I bought it off told me he just put a new thermostat in it.

growler2058
11th March 2013, 07:21 PM
Just saved ya $40 you can thank me with a boxof beer...............not that vb sh1t either

Winnie
11th March 2013, 07:24 PM
Mate it's VB or nothing! Hahahaha swap ya for one of your girly chillies.

rottodiver
11th March 2013, 07:24 PM
A little off topic but comparing needle position for temperature to ecu talk I notice my needle stay just under half from 80 to about 102 degrees then 102 to 105 it goes just over half( and the air on turns off) and then it goes to about 3/4 at 107 to 108 degrees .... And that is on 40 plus degree days fully loaded going up hills. The second I go down the hills or back off it goes back down to driving position and around 100 degrees!!!

Scotty

Winnie
11th March 2013, 07:28 PM
I'm just going through the main things here.... how do I tell if the fan clutch is rooted? Spins easily both ways when the engine is off but if I try to sorta flick it it stops moving as soon as I let go.

rottodiver
11th March 2013, 07:58 PM
Well I can tell you what I know about them... I believe it should spin with a little resistance when cold when, you should here it howling when the engine heats up, and when you turn the engine off and engine is hot it should turn off with the motor and not spin. Now when the engine is hot and straight after turning it off it should be very stiff to turn...
I am no expert on this and I got most this info off the web and different sites and these were my symptoms and I mine was stuffed.
Scotty

growler2058
11th March 2013, 08:16 PM
I'm just going through the main things here.... how do I tell if the fan clutch is rooted? Spins easily both ways when the engine is off but if I try to sorta flick it it stops moving as soon as I let go.

See if you can stop it with your hand with the motor running hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha......... ......................................nah DONT

Sir Roofy
11th March 2013, 08:36 PM
thats not nice chilli boy
winnie if your talking about traf
thorpy hill i wouldnt worry to much
thats a fair haul on a hot day just back off a gear
and all should be sweet

Winnie
11th March 2013, 08:39 PM
Yeah that's the hill I'm talking about but it definitely is a concern especially with the high highway temps.

Sir Roofy
11th March 2013, 09:00 PM
Yeah that's the hill I'm talking about but it definitely is a concern especially with the high highway temps.

as you said could be the radiator spotties will bloke it as well

Winnie
11th March 2013, 09:03 PM
Yeah hopefully the radiator flush fixes the issue but got a PM from benny boy and he thinks that my EGTs are too high and it's all a tuning issue.... geez I hope I get it sorted alright

Sir Roofy
11th March 2013, 09:10 PM
Yeah hopefully the radiator flush fixes the issue but got a PM from benny boy and he thinks that my EGTs are too high and it's all a tuning issue.... geez I hope I get it sorted alright

well he,s usually on the ball,see how it goes when you put it together
if no change try dropping your boost down a bit more that will bring the EGT down

Winnie
12th March 2013, 05:10 PM
Quick question how much coolant will I need to buy?
Got the radiator back and was dirty but not blocked. Went through the dyno sheet with a guy who k ows his stuff and reckons intake temps are too high, so will need to shell out for an intercooler....

Sir Roofy
12th March 2013, 06:23 PM
quick question how much coolant will i need to buy?
Got the radiator back and was dirty but not blocked. Went through the dyno sheet with a guy who k ows his stuff and reckons intake temps are too high, so will need to shell out for an intercooler....

tip the bottle in top up with water

threedogs
12th March 2013, 07:01 PM
Maybe keep that thermostat you tested in the glovebox for a spare and fit a new OE one. Then you know 100% everything is ok.
That thermostat May shite itself next week, probably wont , but IMO I'd start with everything new. just a peace of mind thing

Alitis007
12th March 2013, 07:20 PM
Quick question how much coolant will I need to buy?

Should take around 15ltrs so try and get concentrated stuff and use 30% coolant 70% water which works out to be 5ltrs.

When you got the dyno you sure they didn't lean off the mix to try and give you economy??? A lean a/f ratio can cause the car to heat up too !!

happygu
12th March 2013, 08:04 PM
What made it stop doing that? Mine was running between half and 3/4 on the freeway (even when I backed off to 80km/h) and got to 3/4 when going up a long hill. When I got to the downhill section it cooled down very quickly and doesn't increase at idle either.

Nothing made it stop, but i sold the GQ after 12 years of owning it.

It just seemed to be fueling issue as temps would drop back quickly when you backed off the accelerator

Winnie
12th March 2013, 08:40 PM
Mine does that too Happy.
Alitis the dyno readout is in my ride thread but the AFRs are pretty well spot on 16. Also thinking maybe my bullbar/lights are blocking a lot of airflow?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/421896_10151405314913025_2059851116_n.jpg

threedogs
12th March 2013, 08:44 PM
Only marginally heaps here running bigger driving lights but they dont have a big mf hairdryer hanging off the motor
Quick Q you leaving Roof rack on????

Need to pop rivet that front number plate on for 2 reasons
one you'll lose it it a bog hole
or 2 someone will nick it to use in a drive off at a servo

Winnie
12th March 2013, 08:45 PM
Yeah it's staying on.
Might take the bar off on the weekend and go for a drive.

threedogs
12th March 2013, 08:58 PM
Nice flex you have there too, gotta be happy as.................

Alitis007
12th March 2013, 10:04 PM
I'll go have look at it now mate

nissannewby
13th March 2013, 07:44 PM
Lean on a diesel wont increase temps. A rich mix on a diesel can create hotter combustion temperatures. How are the EGT's on it? GQ radiators arent the greatest once you put a turbo on them, they werent initially designed to take the extra load. There is also a mod you can do to the thermostat to help.

An intercooler will help a lot as a decent one will see intake temps drop considerably.

Winnie
13th March 2013, 08:16 PM
EGTs are crap IMO. 400-450 on the freeway doing 110. About 350 sitting on 90 on the freeway. Don't know how hot it will get as I back off at 550 but would get much hotter than that I'd say.
What is the thermostat mod you speak of?

Thinking of getting this intercooler kit when I sell the party bus
http://www.crosscountry4x4.com.au/products.php?productid=127

threedogs
13th March 2013, 08:34 PM
Might sound stupid but those temps centigrade????
Not much you can do to thermostat except pull guts out to have it free flowing but restricted

Winnie
13th March 2013, 08:38 PM
Of course.

Sir Roofy
13th March 2013, 08:48 PM
EGTs are crap IMO. 400-450 on the freeway doing 110. About 350 sitting on 90 on the freeway. Don't know how hot it will get as I back off at 550 but would get much hotter than that I'd say.
What is the thermostat mod you speak of?

Thinking of getting this intercooler kit when I sell the party bus
http://www.crosscountry4x4.com.au/products.php?productid=127

COUPLE OF Ks WORTH THERE MATE.YOU,L HAVE THE PROBLEM SORTED BEFORE YOU GET IT

Winnie
13th March 2013, 08:49 PM
$1575 list price on their website. Don't think it's all that bad?

Alitis007
13th March 2013, 08:52 PM
Fit this type of thermostat 26871

Sir Roofy
13th March 2013, 08:54 PM
$1575 list price on their website. Don't think it's all that bad?

dont forget the scoop thats a big hole in the bonnet
unless you can do it or a mate it will be extra
will look good though if you do it

Winnie
13th March 2013, 08:55 PM
Yeah I can cut a hole no worries.... hahaha

Ben-e-boy
13th March 2013, 09:19 PM
What about a water to air setup

taslucas
13th March 2013, 09:28 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a lemon Winnie. You should part it out and try get a bit of coin back........

Lmao

FanTapstic!

Winnie
13th March 2013, 09:32 PM
Too complicated for me.... been through all the ups and downs of each type (water to air, front mount and top mount) and decided on a top mount with a fan. Price also plays a part.

taslucas
13th March 2013, 09:44 PM
Would a thermo fan on the radiator help?
Have you asked the previous owner what temps it used to run at?

FanTapstic!

Ben-e-boy
13th March 2013, 09:55 PM
If your budget can see you get a cross country intercooler. Try this mob in Brissy they are in a similar price range for top mounts

http://www.are.com.au

I have one of their water to air kits and a plennum and they are a fantastic bit of gear, very high quality workmanship

Winnie
13th March 2013, 10:13 PM
Do they do kits like the cross country one? I need simplicity or else ill have to pay somebody to do it... That's what I like about the cross country kit

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

nissannewby
13th March 2013, 10:34 PM
It sounds like you afr is to rich. It doesn't help as well that your pushing so much boost without an intercooler. The added fuel with the hot air wont be helping your cause. Also when you increase air pressure so does its temp.

The thermostat mod is a sticky in the GQ section on another patrol forum have a good read of it plenty of people seem to be gettin the results with it.

With your current setup and tune a cross country setup will be a huge advantage plus net you a good increase in torque.

Winnie
13th March 2013, 10:40 PM
Seeings as the IC is a while away due to funds (2-3 months), should I turn boost down to say 12psi and get another tune?

Alitis007
13th March 2013, 10:46 PM
It sounds like you afr is to rich. It doesn't help as well that your pushing so much boost without an intercooler. The added fuel with the hot air wont be helping your cause. Also when you increase air pressure so does its temp.

The thermostat mod is a sticky in the GQ section on another patrol forum have a good read of it plenty of people seem to be gettin the results with it.

With your current setup and tune a cross country setup will be a huge advantage plus net you a good increase in torque.

So from what your saying apart from the turbo side of things, a diesel is opposite to petrol?? Lean fuel mixes in petrol combustion engines heats them up causes them to ping and high EGT's where if a diesel is running rich it will make it do the same???

happygu
13th March 2013, 11:00 PM
Mine does that too Happy.
Alitis the dyno readout is in my ride thread but the AFRs are pretty well spot on 16. Also thinking maybe my bullbar/lights are blocking a lot of airflow?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

If it makes you feel better Winnie, mine never actually overheated, and the gauge would climb to just above 3/4 and stay there.......There are some that say that this may only be an increase of 3 or 4 degrees, but I hated it, as it didn't leave any room for error if a hose suddenly burst...

Mic

happygu
13th March 2013, 11:02 PM
And I went all over Australia with it like that.....

When I used to live in Alice, I would blast out to work out of town at up to 160 klm per hour, and it went like a train....loved the power of a TURBO 4.2

Mic

Winnie
13th March 2013, 11:02 PM
Yeah done some research and a lot of posts on the other forum say that 3/4 on the gauge is only a few degrees over half on the gauge and well within the safe zone... I just don't like looking at it!

nissannewby
13th March 2013, 11:13 PM
So from what your saying apart from the turbo side of things, a diesel is opposite to petrol?? Lean fuel mixes in petrol combustion engines heats them up causes them to ping and high EGT's where if a diesel is running rich it will make it do the same???

Yeah mate to rich and your egts will climb very quickly. To lean a mix and you would be hard pushed to get to climb past 400.

Winnie get some fuel taken out of it and boost reset to around 12-14 until you get the cooler sorted.

Winnie
14th March 2013, 09:54 PM
Well what do you know I put the radiator back in tonight and took it for a drive.... flogging up a hill in 4th at 16psi EGTs wouldn't go above 520 and temp got slightly over half but normal driving was sitting at about 1/3

What the hell!!!!

happygu
14th March 2013, 10:12 PM
It's a bit cooler today and that will help too

Winnie
14th March 2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah I think that is it... 18 degrees ambient temp instead of 38 made a difference I would say.