PDA

View Full Version : Airless tyre technology..Will it work

Maxhead
11th March 2013, 09:00 AM
Looks like this could work well in 4x4 environment but...will it?? Could save you carrying a spare.

Then again at $1000 a corner is a bit pricey ATM..

http://www.news.com.au/technology/flat-tyres-to-become-a-things-of-the-past-with-airless-variety-coming-soon/story-e6frfro0-1226594425850

happygu
11th March 2013, 09:14 AM
It is only double the prices of some tyres at the moment!!!!

Apart from looking rediculous, I think that they will actually provide better functionality then the standard tyre.

Will it negate the necessity of carrying a spare.....you could end up tearing out the honeycomb supporting lattice on a tree root coming up a rutted hill.....

Mic

Winnie
11th March 2013, 09:18 AM
I saw this a while ago, who knows it could be a good thing, but then again they might be weak as.

macca
11th March 2013, 09:31 AM
So how do you do the equivalent of "airing down"?

Maxhead
11th March 2013, 09:33 AM
The production ones will have a sidewall and also be bullet proof so I wonder how they will cope with sticks, rocks, bolts, etc

Maxhead
11th March 2013, 09:36 AM
So how do you do the equivalent of "airing down"?

"Honey Combing down"...LOL

I think you wont need to anymore. The design will allow them to wrap around the ground surface and give you traction????may be...LOL

macca
11th March 2013, 10:02 AM
"Honey Combing down"...LOL

So they will be known as Violet Crumbles then?

Clunk
11th March 2013, 10:10 AM
Bit behind the times Kris, I put a vid up of these over a year ago ;)

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Maxhead
11th March 2013, 10:17 AM
Bit behind the times Kris, I put a vid up of these over a year ago ;)

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Yeah I just saw it...hahah

megatexture
11th March 2013, 10:43 AM
Yea I've seen them years ago and if they haven't caught on yet I doubt they will

happygu
11th March 2013, 11:06 AM
Megatexture

Some things take a long time to hit the market, especially if there are vested interests at stake.

Mic

mudnut
11th March 2013, 11:16 AM
I would hate to be the first person to buy these things and find they're no good on sand!!

threedogs
11th March 2013, 11:39 AM
These are about 5 years old if not older the mob that make them were called gator treads or something like that.
spare ok, maybe they come in different harness for different terrain, great for the CSR or Simmo IMO.

the ferret
11th March 2013, 01:52 PM
Bit tricky if ya need to air down lol.....
Cheers, the ferret.

P4trol
11th March 2013, 02:26 PM
Surely they would be designed for a set weight? As has been said, you can't air down or up? Maybe with sidewalls they would be the equivalent of air bags?

BigRAWesty
11th March 2013, 07:13 PM
These are about 5 years old if not older the mob that make them were called gator treads or something like that.
spare ok, maybe they come in different harness for different terrain, great for the CSR or Simmo IMO.

I says the designing company couldn't float them publicly, so polaris bought them out

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

megatexture
11th March 2013, 07:38 PM
no airing down and the holes digging will make it hard in sand and could you imagine doing a muddy track then hitting the bitumen, you would have to clear out each hole before you get to any hwy speeds or the balance would be way off, when stopping the car rocks back and forth ... I’d love to see them in an emergency braking situation only positive i see is no punctures so they would be great in some situations but not most

Maxhead
11th March 2013, 07:44 PM
no airing down and the holes digging will make it hard in sand and could you imagine doing a muddy track then hitting the bitumen, you would have to clear out each hole before you get to any hwy speeds or the balance would be way off, when stopping the car rocks back and forth ... I’d love to see them in an emergency braking situation only positive i see is no punctures so they would be great in some situations but not most

I think you'll find the production ones will have sidewalls as said above but I am still not convinced the technology will work as good as what we have currently. I hope I'm proven wrong tho.

.........on the move

Maxhead
11th March 2013, 07:45 PM
Surely they would be designed for a set weight? As has been said, you can't air down or up? Maybe with sidewalls they would be the equivalent of air bags?

Good call, this will be interesting when all comes out in the wash

.........on the move

Maxhead
11th March 2013, 07:47 PM
I says the designing company couldn't float them publicly, so polaris bought them out

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Could be the case or they know something we don't.lol

.........on the move

Maxhead
11th March 2013, 07:49 PM
I would hate to be the first person to buy these things and find they're no good on sand!!

Yeah, tell me about it but I think the amount of testing and ADR approval will have it all covered.
You would hope anyway...haha

.........on the move

megatexture
11th March 2013, 08:34 PM

If they were acting like airbags then they won't be punture free tyres and if you got one punctured it would be like having a flat spot on a tyre .

Wine_maker
11th March 2013, 10:14 PM
If they make exchangeable external layer it will be a great invention!
When you drive on highway you use highway external layers and when you arrive to 4x4 location you change the tyre to offroad using only external layer.
Useful.