PDA

View Full Version : GU (8) and pulling to the left?

jm2004
10th March 2013, 02:53 PM
Hi All,

You may notice another question I put, still on the same topic i.e. my intention to purchase GU8 wagon. I've heard from several GU owners (not just the latest series 8) that quite some developed tendencies to pull to the left. I'm talking about those vehicles with standard heights or mild lifts only (2" or less), and either standard or A/T tyres (factory size or slightly larger).

Is this true? We know most roads here slope to the left so all else equivalent, it makes sense for a neutral steering vehicle to "drift" to the left (or to the right if the road slopes to the right). My current 4WD has IFS and I can get the left caster to be set 30 minutes more than that on the right, so it helps mitigating that effect. What are your comments on this aspect:
- is it true this is a common characteristics of the GUs?
- I believe as standard the live axle doesn't have caster adjustment but there are after market kits to allow for that. How many of you have this tendency and and how many had to resort to these kits?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Jon

happygu
10th March 2013, 06:30 PM
I've never found it to be a big problem, and I've had a few GU Patrols

happygu
10th March 2013, 06:32 PM
I should add that I put a Castor Kit through my first MQ and have never bothered since . All my Patrols have all had lift kits through them

jack
10th March 2013, 06:47 PM
No issues with my GU8 with 2" lift

megatexture
10th March 2013, 07:49 PM
Never had any issues I've got a 2" no sway bars and I run standard and 33"s obviously not at the same time lol

jm2004
11th March 2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks all for all the very informative replies, it's most appreciated. We will visit the dealers for test drive etc soon.
Cheers,
Jon

travisf
11th March 2013, 10:25 PM
I've noticed that my standard GU8 does tend to pull to the left a bit. Figured it just the nature of the beast and not worth worrying about until I start playing with a lift and new tyres.

No one in the family who has driven the car has mentioned it so it's not too bad.

megatexture
12th March 2013, 12:49 AM
If you fit a return to center steering dampener you could adjust it to pull it to the right a little

BigRAWesty
12th March 2013, 09:44 AM
If you fit a return to center steering dampener you could adjust it to pull it to the right a little

Yes this is a possible issue. I think it is with mine. When they did the wheel alignment the didn't center the wheel. So I am always pulling it right to over come my dampener

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

whastie
12th March 2013, 08:44 PM
Hi JM2004, I notice that you joined today (same as me). Very Interesting. I have a 1998 GU 2.8L Turbo Diesel manual and had the same problem recently - took it in for a balance and found out I had bubble in the tyre. Got 2 new front tyres and problem solved. I was due for new ones anyway.

Regards
Wayne

NP99
17th March 2013, 12:44 AM
My 98 GU pulled left after the wheel alignment. I figured they spec'd it correct and caused the problem!

jm2004
17th March 2013, 06:49 PM
Hi JM2004, I notice that you joined today (same as me). Very Interesting. I have a 1998 GU 2.8L Turbo Diesel manual and had the same problem recently - took it in for a balance and found out I had bubble in the tyre. Got 2 new front tyres and problem solved. I was due for new ones anyway.

Regards
Wayne
Hi Wayne,
I actually joined the forum almost a year ago but only now I realised I had never introduced myself, so I did just that very recently.
It's great though to be able to join and learn quite a lot.
Cheers,
Jon

kevin07
17th March 2013, 10:04 PM
mine pulls left a bit as well had alignments done last bloke showed that the n/s tyre is 1.5mm out o/s 0.5 out that was the best he could do so what has to be done is adjust the tie rod in somewhere around 1.5 to 2.0mm in should be fun anyway