PDA

View Full Version : E locker vs air locker

Ben81C
9th March 2013, 09:00 PM
Hey Patrolers, i am about to fit twin lockers to my GU3 and i am leaning towards fitting the Eaton E locker over the Air locker, i like the idea of not requiring a compressor to engage them as with the E locker it uses electro magnetics to engage (if i have power i have lockers) and if their is an issue or failure it returns to the open/ unlocked position, i have done some research on them and they appear to be of good quality (detroit lockers having a solid reputation developed over years) these are the new type NOT auto lockers but engaged via switches same as air lockers, has anybody on here had them fitted and how do they perform for you? Thanks for any info on these lockers. Ben.

Bloodyaussie
9th March 2013, 09:02 PM
Heard only good things about the E-locker... thats my 10 cents.

Rumcajs
9th March 2013, 09:50 PM
Go E-lockers and avoid air lockers leaks.
Cheers

macca86
9th March 2013, 09:54 PM
Save your cash patrols don't need rear lockers unless a comp rig. LSD and front locker FTW maybe shim the LSD if you want it really tight. If you lock the rear its just an open diff on road and I prefer the feel of an lsd on road for traction and safety.
I'd got e locker over air no annoying compressor noise less leaks etc.

jimmi
18th March 2013, 01:29 AM
the e locker uses a lil motor to move the locking ring, its the same design they used in the ford 2 speed diff, i haven't had a chance to play with one yet, but if the motor does die (the older ones where pretty well sealed) you could manually turn the motor shaft and engage or disengage.
the arb air lockers are prone to leak, but the sliding ring seal has been revised, the biggest problems is people dont use them enough and as such the seal goes hard. they are an easy fix, i did 1 in 5 years.
the lsd in the patrols are very good as macca pointed out.
at the end of the day its up to you, i personally prefer air lockers, as air isnt affected by water. slow leak? run a tank. and depending where ur wheeling, you can have problems finding parts for a detroit.
hope this helps

BigRAWesty
18th March 2013, 02:25 AM
the e locker uses a lil motor to move the locking ring, its the same design they used in the ford 2 speed diff, i haven't had a chance to play with one yet, but if the motor does die (the older ones where pretty well sealed) you could manually turn the motor shaft and engage or disengage.
the arb air lockers are prone to leak, but the sliding ring seal has been revised, the biggest problems is people dont use them enough and as such the seal goes hard. they are an easy fix, i did 1 in 5 years.
at the end of the day its up to you, i personally prefer air lockers, as air isnt affected by water. slow leak? run a tank. and depending where ur wheeling, you can have problems finding parts for a detroit.
hope this helps

Pretty sure e lockers are electromagnetic, no motors..

Edit, confirmed..

The ELocker's electromagnetic locking mechanism is the next generation of aftermarket differential technology. Performs as an open differential until you decide that you need more traction. Eaton ELocker is your push button solution to almost any traction problem.

Designed expressly for 4-wheel drive systems to give you the ability to lock or unlock the differentials when necessary. When locked the Eaton ELocker performs as a full locker, capturing 100% of available torque and sending it equally to both ends of the axle.

The ELocker is built with precision-forged gears that are designed to mesh perfectly, providing improved strength and durability over a standard cut gear. Its ease of installation, reliability and push-button activation make ELocker an absolute must for all traction and off-road performance applications.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Automotive/AutomotiveAftermarket/Differentials/PCT_221472

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

taslucas
18th March 2013, 07:04 AM
hope this helps

Yeah as kallen has posted, e lockers use an electro magnet to lock. So no chance of the motor dying. I like the idea because:
1, if you break the wire you can simply join it back together(try doing that with an air line)
2, if the engine isn't putting 12volts to the locker then you've got bigger things to worry about than locking the wheels.
3, most people carry jumper packs and jumper leads these days so getting power isn't that hard.
4, far less things to go wrong, ie: no compressor just two wires and a switch.

FanTapstic!

Bloodyaussie
18th March 2013, 07:07 AM
^ what he said but in a deeper voice!!!!

BigRAWesty
18th March 2013, 10:00 AM
Your right BR. Not to many air failures, from my eyes its more the maintenance.
I've seen a few which have small internal leaks from the style of entry threw the diff.. thus compressing diff and pushing oil back threw the breathers. Not a lot, but just enough to make an ugly wet spot... :cool:

I think the other things its the 2 part process of the air. More to fail (if...) Compaired to the e.

I'm not against one or the other, pure personal choice for me.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

jimmi
18th March 2013, 06:46 PM
Yeah as kallen has posted, e lockers use an electro magnet to lock. So no chance of the motor dying. I like the idea because:
1, if you break the wire you can simply join it back together(try doing that with an air line)
2, if the engine isn't putting 12volts to the locker then you've got bigger things to worry about than locking the wheels.
3, most people carry jumper packs and jumper leads these days so getting power isn't that hard.
4, far less things to go wrong, ie: no compressor just two wires and a switch.

FanTapstic!

sorry but the info, like i said havent had a chance to get a look at them (strip and rebuild)
yes u can just rejoin air lines
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14mm-Push-In-Nylon-Tube-Hose-Connector-Joiner-Air-Line-/260784106364?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cb7f1ab7c&_uhb=1 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14mm-Push-In-Nylon-Tube-Hose-Connector-Joiner-Air-Line-/260784106364?
pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cb7f1ab7c&_uhb=1)
but you are right about getting power.
after having a MQ and now owning a A currrent model hilux have found the electrickery and water really dont mix.
Eaton do build great products and i have worked on many.
keep it simple, weight up wants and needs.
maybe find an eaton dealer and ask to speak to someone running these.
good luck

threedogs
18th March 2013, 07:09 PM
Pfft X 2 with BR thats all I heard Pffft. Had Prolocker in the back and ARB in the front, both great lockers
E locker for ease of use and install but they may have offset that with a higher "Buy it Now price" For Me
I'll be going 'PRO-Locker in the Front and leaving the rear as is, best LSD in the business. I will be running
A 5 gallon air tank as well

89gqpatrol4x4
18th March 2013, 07:11 PM
I had arb front and rears now for just over a year, no problems at all and the added bonus of a compressor at the ready for tyres etc.

TJsGQ
21st March 2013, 09:46 AM
I like the idea of the e lockers instead of air lockers.. Especially runnin the compressor to pump up tyres would hate for it to shot itself half way through a journey n not be able to use lockers at all..! What are people's opinion of how people weld the diff and use the manual locking hubs to lock it up.. With only 1 locked its just like normal open diff but with both locked both wheels are locked...? I know it's dodgy but diff lockers are a bi ticket item..!

healy
21st March 2013, 10:48 AM
If you were to weld/lock it mate seriously better off forking out $360 and getting the lokka locker put in will much stronger in my opinion in the long run

threedogs
21st March 2013, 10:53 AM
You'll hate youself if you go with a CIG locker. Auto lockers are very affordable.
Or save for a bit longer and put the locker of your choice in your ride

BigRAWesty
21st March 2013, 02:30 PM
Don't weld.. ill guarantee after the first decent trip will have paid for it in CV's hubs and possibly a diff...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

MEGOMONSTER
21st March 2013, 03:22 PM
My choice if putting a locker in tomorrow would be an E-Locker. But also heard many good things of TJM Pro Locker.

rottodiver
21st March 2013, 04:52 PM
I have air lockers front and back and this is my second patrol to run them ( the same lockers).. 10 years plus and they have never missed a beat and they have been worked pretty hard over the years.
Scotty

Lewy
21st March 2013, 06:46 PM
E lockers!! I would never go back to a ARB air locker again!!! Love my Elocker!!!!!!!!!!!!

threedogs
21st March 2013, 08:26 PM
Probably repeating myself but all the Comp trucks That I know of that had ARB lockers all changed to Pro lockers.
I know I'll be fitting one in the front shortely

gqmoder
30th June 2013, 06:33 PM
how much are pro lockers?

Lewy
30th June 2013, 06:43 PM
Who cares get an Elocker! They are bloody fantastic!

gqmoder
30th June 2013, 07:03 PM
i want two e lockers but who can do a good price?

Lewy
30th June 2013, 07:18 PM
I went through opposite lock! But iron man also do them!

gqmoder
30th June 2013, 10:03 PM
yeah they are $1600 each from either of those

Astro
1st July 2013, 09:10 AM
Opposite Lock agent quoted me $3600 for front and rear E-Lockers ($1500 + $300 fitting each end)

Stone patrol
14th July 2013, 08:23 AM
Does anyone know how hard to fit air/e lockers

mudski
14th July 2013, 12:11 PM
Does anyone know how hard to fit air/e lockers

Fitting and wiring the compressor and switches was easy but time consuming as I mounted the compressor under the passenger seat. As for the locker itself. Dunno yet, I'll tell you in a week and a bit. Cant see it being hard though. Just time consuming.

I tapped that app

gqmoder
13th December 2013, 09:21 PM
picked up front and rear e lockers for my gq ls2 conversion today $3000 from opposite lock in canberra, $3460 with carrier bearings and frieght .... $frieght was $80 think i got ripped on bearings but dunno will look up part numbers online at some stage.
anyway ill document the install and put it online.

mudski
13th December 2013, 10:33 PM
picked up front and rear e lockers for my gq ls2 conversion today $3000 from opposite lock in canberra, $3460 with carrier bearings and frieght .... $frieght was $80 think i got ripped on bearings but dunno will look up part numbers online at some stage.
anyway ill document the install and put it online.
Carrier bearing from my local bearing service for my air locker were around $60 for the pair by memory...

gqmoder
13th December 2013, 10:54 PM
yeah pretty sure i got ripped. wish i had of told him to jam the bearings now im kicking myself big time .... not to worry canberra is a very small place and ALL my mates either own modified 4wds or drags cars or burn out cars or do engine conversions and do up cars like me. word soon gets around who is a rip off in town!!

gqmoder
13th December 2013, 11:03 PM
i installed my last lockers myself with out any instructions what so ever hey and you should see the instruction book that comes with these.
its like 25 pages with very detailed instructions and pictures and all im not antisipating this being a hard job.
wiring is easy as comes with full harness already made up ... i just fully wired a 6.2 ltr commodore motor from scratch to go in my patrol so that is going to be dead easy.
old centre out
dial gauge take back lash measurement
mark carrier caps
4 bolts rip it out
crown wheel off
sneak it past misses into laundry sink of hot water (will be hardest part of the job but ill manage)
crown on
in the press, carrier bearing on
drill whole
back in centre
dial gauge set back lash
tighten all up
bung in
back in diff
axles back in
rear diff
process repeat.

BLKWDW
16th December 2013, 07:42 AM
I have auto locker. Just lock the hubs and drive :)

sooty_10
16th December 2013, 08:33 AM
I did my front myself and it was pretty straight forward, borrowed a dial gauge and as I had never played with a diff before I found that measuring the backlash and then setting the backlash with the new locker installed was the most time consuming. Apart from that it is so simple to install. Pretty much just as gqmoder has listed.

Gravel
27th December 2013, 05:24 PM
I'm running elocker front with the standard LSD rear and the elocker works as good as any other locker I have had. Like the rest of the crew there is no air leaks. I have no issues with the elocker even after completing Cape York in Jul this year.

Ian2011
27th December 2013, 08:03 PM
I have an Elokka in the front and got it cheaper then an air lokker 2 years ago, they all do the same thing in the end just using different mediums to engage, my advice do as I did and play all suppliers against each other to get the best price for the type of locker YOU want.

hsinlee
10th February 2015, 12:22 AM
thank you all about the info! just learned a lot about the e locker and air locker. So does anyone know what type of the locker it is using on the latest Y61 2014?