PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 Tensioner Pulley - Still squeaking

Bax
9th March 2013, 04:59 PM
Hey guys, new here.

I had a squeaking tensioner pulley, I removed everything the other day, replaced the pulley and replaced the belt. Everything was fine for maybe half an hour. And the squeak came back, gradually getting worse and worse.

Now, I'm about ready to drive the damn thing into the ocean. I'm 99% sure it's coming from the pulley, I gave it a quick blast with WD40 when it wasn't that bad, and it disappeared. Since then though, it's gotten worse, to the point where driving it is annoying.

Do I need to pull everything out and change it over again? Does the torx headed bolt need to be torqued correctly, could it be too tight? Perhaps it was a failed unit from the start, or maybe there's something else I'm missing. Just looking for some thoughts, thanks guys

macca86
9th March 2013, 05:22 PM
Are you using a genuine belt or aftermarket

Bax
9th March 2013, 05:48 PM
I'm using a gates belt.

With a replacement pulley which is a Repco branded RPU664

threedogs
9th March 2013, 05:54 PM
Funny how only patrols require OE parts, gates are a good brand ,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whats the size of that belt??
thread here recently on different sizes but mainly for the 4.2 from memory

Sir Roofy
9th March 2013, 05:58 PM
I'm using a gates belt.

With a replacement pulley which is a Repco branded RPU664

did you replace the bearing and you need a genuine belt

Bax
9th March 2013, 06:00 PM
I should point out that I've got a Navara - but I wasn't feeling any love over at navara asia. Hope nobody here minds.

Gates 7PK1640 is the belt.

With the Pulley itself, It's the tensioner assembly - directly onto that the pulley, then the dust cover, then the torx bolt.
There's no additional washers/ nylon bushes or sleeves or anything?

did you replace the bearing and you need a genuine belt

Bearing was part of the pulley assembly, RPU664. Unless there's something I'm missing. Would the belt really be the issue? The squeaking is coming from the tensioner area.

Sir Roofy
9th March 2013, 06:04 PM
to be honest mate never lifted the bonnet on one
is it a 3l or 2.8

Bax
9th March 2013, 06:10 PM
No dramas. 3l it is. ZD30 is the motor.

Sir Roofy
9th March 2013, 06:22 PM
no dramas. 3l it is. Zd30 is the motor.

dust cover ,havnt got one of them on mine maybe thats touching the pully

threedogs
9th March 2013, 06:54 PM
Those tensioners can be be rebuilt search in archives

macca86
9th March 2013, 07:21 PM
Did you change the pully only or pully with new bearing or the pully bearing and tentioner ram too. Have you been through deep water lately you could be getting squeaks from ac compressor wheel. I would be getting a can of belt grip spray it on. If the squeak goes replace with a genuine belt if the squeak stays re check you packed the bearing and pully and replace the tensioner ram

Bax
9th March 2013, 07:39 PM
Hey Macca,

The pulley came with a bearing already in it. I left the hydraulic part alone.

No deep water crossings.

Highly likely that my AC compressor is squeaking as it's shagged, I've got a new one coming this week. But like I've said I'm 99% sure it's the tensioner pulley as it went away when I smashed it with WD40.

I'll chuck some more WD onto it soon and see if it's the same.

Otherwise I guess I'm just putting up with it until my AC gets fixed, I'll leave it for the auto electrician to fix.

Sir Roofy
9th March 2013, 08:09 PM
hey macca,

the pulley came with a bearing already in it. I left the hydraulic part alone.

No deep water crossings.

Highly likely that my ac compressor is squeaking as it's shagged, i've got a new one coming this week. But like i've said i'm 99% sure it's the tensioner pulley as it went away when i smashed it with wd40.

I'll chuck some more wd onto it soon and see if it's the same.

Otherwise i guess i'm just putting up with it until my ac gets fixed, i'll leave it for the auto electrician to fix.

on another note the belt might have been settling in was there any gunk on the pullys

macca86
9th March 2013, 10:49 PM
If the pully turn freely by hand and smooth it will be the belt or the ram itself. You can buy that by itself. Wd40 is fish oil so is belt grip so it'll stop squeaking as it grips. My non genuine belt is slipping now after having changed my pully and ac compressor pully as they both seized within 4 weeks of each other

mudski
10th March 2013, 09:14 PM
Why did you replace the pulley? Was the bearing stuffed?. Is the new pulley exactly the same diameter as the old one?
Edit : I did find out that the Repco pulley wheel is 3mm smaller in diametre than the OEM wheel. You would either need a shorter belt or the right sized wheel I think.

Bax
11th March 2013, 09:59 AM
That's interesting, I really didn't think the size would matter, as it'd just get more tension on it to take up the slack.

I initially replaced the pulley as it was squeaking originally - with the old belt. There's a thread on navara asia that says the part numbers etc. I believe most people that do what it says have no trouble at all.

Messaged a mechanic mate of mine and asked him about it and he told me I should just replace the whole tensioner assembly. It's a bit of an expense that I don't really want to deal with. But it's beginning to look like that's my best option.

I'm thinking my last attempt before I buy a whole new unit will be getting new bearings pushed into the old pulley. If that doesn't fix it, I give up.

Can anybody tell me the torque setting for that torx bolt?

rkinsey
11th March 2013, 11:56 AM
Hi Bax,

To try and pinpoint where the "Squeeking" is coming from (maybe an overtight belt) we used to rub a small amount of hand soap on the belt (I'm going back a ways now to my 1977 HX Kingswood...) You need to use a dry cake of soap and only rub it gently on the side of the belt that is connecting to the pulley.

If the Squeeking stops then the belt is the culprit.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Rob

mudski
11th March 2013, 12:05 PM
Can anybody tell me the torque setting for that torx bolt?
Just do it up tight with some thread locker on it. Thats what I did and its fine. Oh and having a smaller pulley on it will matter. Even though the size is minimal there won't be the correct tension on the belt.

Bax
11th March 2013, 12:05 PM
Thanks Rob,

Would you believe I've already tried that :D No difference unfortunately.

I was going to fork out the 30 or so dollars for some belt stick spray, but I'm tight on cash at the moment and couldn't justify it. I'm going to get a new bearing pressed into the old pulley today and pull it all down tonight. Hopefully that solves the issue.

And cheers Mudski, that's what I did previously. Tight as I could with some thread locker. Ahh well.

macca86
11th March 2013, 12:06 PM
Since you have changed the pully you could just replace the tensioner ram rather than whole lot

happygu
11th March 2013, 12:10 PM
I should point out that I've got a Navara - but I wasn't feeling any love over at navara asia. Hope nobody here minds.

Gates 7PK1640 is the belt.

With the Pulley itself, It's the tensioner assembly - directly onto that the pulley, then the dust cover, then the torx bolt.
There's no additional washers/ nylon bushes or sleeves or anything?

Bearing was part of the pulley assembly, RPU664. Unless there's something I'm missing. Would the belt really be the issue? The squeaking is coming from the tensioner area.

Are you saying that you replaced the bearing? If not, then you definitely need to replace it.

Bax
11th March 2013, 04:07 PM
Hey, yeah the bearing was replaced. It came with the pulley.

I' just got a new bearing pressed into the old pulley. I'll give that a go tonight - and if that fails. I guess I'll be looking at replacing the rod itself.

Bax
11th March 2013, 08:06 PM
Lol, the saga continues. I put the old pulley back on this afternoon with a new baring in it. Still squeaks.

I'm going to drop the belt again later to confirm it's still squeaking. But it looks like I'll need to replace the rod - but I've had enough of it. Windows up and radio on and I'll let the Aircon people deal with it next week.

Bax
12th March 2013, 10:29 AM
Does anyone have the torque settings for the two bolts?

Sir Roofy
13th March 2013, 09:15 AM
does anyone have the torque settings for the two bolts?

which bolts ??

Bax
13th March 2013, 11:16 AM
That may help haha.

The two that hold the tensioner assembly onto the engine. One that holds the rod/piston part. And the other that braces the main piece that the pulley attaches too.

Sir Roofy
13th March 2013, 01:30 PM
that may help haha.

The two that hold the tensioner assembly onto the engine. One that holds the rod/piston part. And the other that braces the main piece that the pulley attaches too.

top of damper----26 28kg-m

bottomof damper 26-29 km-m
tension pully bottom-66-77 kg m

the rest @ 26-29 kg-m

hope this helps ,just do what i do tighten them up till
you cant move it anymore and thats tight

Bax
13th March 2013, 02:04 PM
Sure does, thanks - appreciate it.

Bax
15th March 2013, 06:35 PM
I'm having no luck at all, took it to an auto electrician to get my aircon fixed today.

Got it back and it was squeaking worse, and the brand new alternator pulley is shagged. Cannot win at all

Bax
22nd March 2013, 10:49 AM
Just thought I'd come in and let you all know that it's fixed. Thanks for everyone that provided suggestions.

I gave it to my mechanic, in the end I think it was a combination of a few things, he gave the belt a few good pulls to get the rod moving, put some dry lube on the rod.
He also found a couple of loose bolts on the a/c compressor (Which is odd, as it's brand new and it was squeaking before it got replaced, so unless it was loose both times.....)
I think he may have also put some spray on the belt itself.

Either way, it's all fixed, and the noisy alternator pulley, that I thought had failed, seems to have come good again. Very happy, he saved me a few hundred bucks replacing the rod or tensioner and the belt.

jack
22nd March 2013, 11:12 AM
Hi Bax, thanks for getting back to us with the fix. Always good to get the outcome as it can help others.
Enjoy the ride.