PDA

View Full Version : Registering an unregistered vehicle

AB
8th December 2010, 12:03 PM
Thought I would share some news.

Looking at buying a Patrol and seeing what extra charges would be hidden if you were to purchase an unregistered vehicle.

If you have the RWC (in Victoria) you still need to take it into Vicroads obviously to get it registered again.

You have to factor in another $1000 ontop of your purchase for the below extra fees prior to even paying for the standard 12 months registration fees....So keep this in mind if you are purchasing a second hand car without registration.

Initial Registration Fees - Secondhand Light Motor Vehicle

Appointment Fee: $15.30
Inspection Fee: $24.40
Registration Fee: $187.40
Transport Accident Charge: $355
Insurance Duty: $35.50
Number Plates: $30.60
Motor Vehicle Duty: $320

Total Fees Payable: $968.20

beansathome
8th December 2010, 12:25 PM
if u have a centerlink helth care card u can pay rego in 6 month lots and there is a $90 something discount each 6 months to.

thought this is something most people were nnot aware of.

AB
8th December 2010, 03:54 PM
I saw that too, good tip mate.

I also just rung Vicroads and the $1000 does actually include 12 months registration for the vehicle as well so Its not "as" bad as I thought.

Woof
8th December 2010, 05:58 PM
WOW that's a lot of $s to fork out, we have an option over here when rego is due either 6 or 12 months and no requirement for a vehicle check (Pink Slip) as well.

YNOT
8th December 2010, 06:27 PM
In Qld when you change over rego (ie, when you buy a second hand car) the transport office asks you what the dutible value of the car is. Stamp duty is based on what you tell them the dutible value is. "Sir, what is the dutible value of your 2006 Patrol", pause, "ahhhh..........I paid $500 for it!!!"

Tony

AB
8th December 2010, 09:31 PM
In Qld when you change over rego (ie, when you buy a second hand car) the transport office asks you what the dutible value of the car is. Stamp duty is based on what you tell them the dutible value is. "Sir, what is the dutible value of your 2006 Patrol", pause, "ahhhh..........I paid $500 for it!!!"

Tony

We have that down here too but you have to be realistic as they are on to that..lol

Paid $6000 for the VT commodore and wrote down $3500 which is kind of believable...Whenever you show them the paperwork they always say "Wow, $3500, thats a bargain" with a "I know what you doing look on their face...lol

patch697
9th December 2010, 09:58 AM
We have that down here too but you have to be realistic as they are on to that..lol

Paid $6000 for the VT commodore and wrote down $3500 which is kind of believable...Whenever you show them the paperwork they always say "Wow, $3500, thats a bargain" with a "I know what you doing look on their face...lol

LOLOL.......Yep, been there done that......hahaha

Bloody "stamp duty" what a load of crap???.

Finly Owner
10th December 2010, 11:57 PM
6/12month rego and no bloody pink slip.

peterfranks72
11th December 2010, 09:44 PM
In WA they have a little book I think its the one car yards use & they assess the transfer duty off that.

Bob
15th December 2010, 02:59 PM
In WA they have a little book I think its the one car yards use & they assess the transfer duty off that.

That is the Red Book. You can google Red Book which allows you to get the valuation of any Car. Great invention

zuluwoffle
15th December 2010, 03:37 PM
WOW and I thought the registration costs in NSW were bad........